Dating For Men In Their Mid Forties?

As to English speaking ladies, do not forget that there is a large colony of English and Irish descendants. A previous seach in the web will help too. Once here, you should get immersed in some form of social life (take classes, lectures, courses, etc) to make real life contacts and get to know them before you make a move. You could take and advanced class of English (do not laugh) with any reasonable excuse (I am writing a book, etc) , and at leat you will meet people that you can communicate with.
My best bet; a Paraguayan lady, they are the best.

You're asking us expats that actually live in Argentine to be open minded about Argentines? A country you haven't lived in yet and have little experience with? If you're open minded to hysterical women with a latin temper more power to you.
are we going to judge an entire population and say all of them are hysterical? I've been to other latin countries, yes there is some men and women that are like that but the vast majority of latin americans aren't like that. but if you people think so then maybe i should change my mind.

There is a "rule" that goes like this. Dont date someone under half your age pluss seven. So if you are 46, your limit is 23+7=30. :)

I have a rule that goes: "Don't date Argentine women."

Since enacted, it has cut my blood loss from thrown objects and twisted ears by 100%.

No one is trying to be cynical or closed minded here. We're just offering advice and sharing our experiences so you can make an educated decision before picking up and moving across the world. I wouldn't recommend comparing Argentina to Mexico or other Latin American countries in front of an Argentine. They don't like the comparison and become offended. It would be like comparing the French to Canadians, or the Irish to Australians.

...Is it best to live in the cities or second tier areas?

Depends on what you want and how you will get about, and what you mean by "second tier".

For example, there are many places in the city proper that are "second tier" (and third, fourth, etc).

Living within a kilometer or so of Microcentro (Recoleta, Retiro [some parts only!], San Nicolas, Monserrat, Balvanera, parts of Palermo closer in) is pretty common amongst many expats. Recoleta and parts of Retiro are relatively expensive though bargains can be found. Others live in less expensive areas like San Telmo, Constitucion and others.

There are sort of surban areas in some parts of the city, though it's city suburban. Those places are pretty cool, but away from the "action" perhaps in many cases (my personal preference). They are also considerably cheaper per square meter. Belgrano has a particularly nice suburbanish area, and I know a Peruvian family who lives in Parque Patricios in a pretty nice place, twice as big as my apartment and almost half the cost! In fact, my lease is up for the last time in April (after 4 years of living in this apartment) and I'm thinking about Parque Patricios myself. That or a bigger apartment I found recently near Santa Fe and Coronel Diaz (near the corner of one part of Palermo) that is about the same price as I'm paying, but the owner where I'm living wanted to literally double my rent...

There are places just outside the city (I'm familiar with the north), Olivos, Vicente Lopez, Tigre, etc. Nice places, richer element, still accessible reasonably to things you would need to live on a daily basis without a car. Houses, apartments, a lot of upper and middle middle class and lower as well.

There are places further outside the city (again to the north I'm familiar with) like Tortuguitas, Garin, Pilar, Escobar. I used to live in Garin, closer to Tortuguitas, round 15 clicks from Pilar towards the city. There are a number of closed neighborhoods and country club neighborhoods out there, mixed in with bigger (and usually walled) middle class houses, and a lot of lower class housing, fewer decent roads and a near necessity to have a car to go to the supermarket, hardware store, etc., depending on exactly where you live.

Also, I know there is the latin temper thing that you'll find in mexico and other latin countries such as brazil. I have experienced it first hand. i know they have occasional tantrums but I am not sure how that is different from other latin countries.

any way will look into it.

I didn't mean to scare you off Porteña women, that was not my intention at all.

However, I grew up in Texas where a lot of my friend's parents, from Mexico, barely spoke English. My ex-partner and still good friend married into a Mexican family in Texas. I've worked over a couple of years in Brasil (months at a time) around Rio and a little north of there. I've had a few Brasilian girlfriends in those times. A good buddy of mine still lives in Bahia and is married to a Brasilera.

I've been married for 6 years to a Latina from Paraguay and know her myriad, gigantic family. A LOT of females.

I have a good idea of the Latina capacity for fire. And I love it.

Again, I don't want to spook you from Porteña women. I have met many good people here. I have known many Porteña women who don't come off hysterical to me. But there is a difference when you see Latin fire, and when you see Porteña/o hysterics. Maybe the guys I know simply can't get dates with decent women, for whatever reason.

LOL just took a glance through this thread started by steveinbsas. I think I am beginning to see the problem. So Steve give me an example of some of these hysterics or give me a scenario.

I realise we are talking most about [background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Porteña from the capital. You can see this same thing in Bogota, Colombia or Caracas, Venezuela. I think Caraquena are the vainest of women. Outside of Caracas though it gets better. They are very arrogant and can be crazy. Isn't Lorena Bobbit from there?[/background]

[background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]How about the people outside BsAs? Do they also have that trait?[/background]

Typical cynical/hilarious comment from a white European/American woman living here. They hate it that the men from their country have it so easy here and they cant make the men run after their "v-----s" as they do back in their home land.

Ignore her comment.

Lot of local women here would happily be with you here and you dont need a income of a CEO here for that.

Nope. Actually, I live in Colombia now and only drop by the forum for entertaining threads like these. I do not and have never had interest in making anyone run after my vagina. (Vagina is not a curse word, by the way, but I'm not surprised you treat it like one.) I had American and European male friends in Buenos Aires. Some had Argentine girlfriends/wives and some just liked to party and hook up. Why would I judge them or have any feelings on that at all? I also had American/European female friends doing the same thing. Who cares? Who is the cynical one here? You make yourself sound like that typical bitter guy who loves sex but doesn't actually like women too much. Yawn.

I went back and read my post. Just as I intended, it is free of judgment. I don't care if you want a transactional relationship or not. And sure, a lot of ladies will be happy to enter one, as I said. No, you don't need a CEO salary, but it never ceases to amaze my how many people on the forum refuse to admit that their income DOES make them quite wealthy in Argentina.

I sense a lot of men on the board getting defensive about their situations with younger Latin American women for reasons that probably have more to do with their own insecurities than my post. (Nor do I intend to make the claim that every man on here is in that type of relationship; I don't know any married men on the forum personally so how the hell would I know?) I just think the OP should be honest about what he's actually after. This was not your average post asking about differences in dating culture. This is a guy who has already eliminated two nationalities of women to date, and wants to live somewhere where he won't be judged for dating much younger. This is a guy who is asking if it's better to live in a second-tier city. Again, who cares, but come on, people. All I wanted to do was cut the BS.

Also, Steve, it's time to get over your Argentine ex who threw stuff at you or whatever. How many years are you going to spend on the forum writing about her? Move on. Generalizations are lame, and so is thinking that the best solution for abandoned women is finding a foreign man to improve her situation, not changing society so she's not dependent on a man's income to begin with.

Also, Steve, it's time to get over your Argentine ex who threw stuff at you or whatever. How many years are you going to spend on the forum writing about her? Move on.

Who are you to tell me anything?

I will write about dangerous women like her as long as possible..

So other men will know what to watch out for!

And duck!

(Which is a very good move.)

She (still in her 40's) still has a profile on latinmeraricancupid .com

And, since you now live in Colombia why would you bother to post here or tell any of us how to live and love in Argentina?

...I don't care if you want a transactional relationship or not. And sure, a lot of ladies will be happy to enter one, as I said. No, you don't need a CEO salary, but it never ceases to amaze my how many people on the forum refuse to admit that their income DOES make them quite wealthy in Argentina...

Actually, I have found that having money does not impress many Porteñas when talking about them going out with foreigners. They are much more likely to go out with a fellow paisano (and maybe the richer the better in some cases) than allow money itself to make a difference with a foreigner. Obviously not true in all cases.

I compare this with my third trip to Paraguay in 2008, with my wife to visit her family (we were married on my first trip in 2007). I went with her father and a couple of her brothers to see some horse racing one Sunday. It's a party, I really enjoyed myself. A farmer who's produce was mostly mandioca set aside one area in front of the mandioca, under trees with cleared brush, for a gathering area/food and beverage sales, etc, and on the edge of his property he had a quarter-mile straight run with two lanes and a handicapping system of poles and wires set up. A lot of betting, partying, and just a wee little bit of fighting :) My father-in-law won a million guarani! (about $180 USD at the time if I remember correctly), running his favorite horse (he only has one, they're very poor. He uses some kind of steroid injection and marijane [in brick form - he doesn't smoke it, but when the horse eats it, it makes the horse run FAST).

I noticed all of the women there looking at me - unabashedly, quite openly. Teenage girls up to women my own age, and even older. When I got back to the family farm, my wife (jokingly, I found out) caught fire about all the attention I'd attracted! Seems there was a lot of gossip going on about the American and who was going to try to get hold of him...it all reached the house before I got back! We had a good laugh about it.

Things are not like that here for foreigners anywhere that I'm aware of.

I know guys here who partake in transactional sex. I don't have any problem with that (either sex) for those with whom it suits their need. I mention the business because here in Buenos Aires, the women who are in this business, I am told, are more business-like than many other countries where guys go to partake. They are much less looking for someone to "save" them, unlike in many other countries with poorer sex workers. In fact, there are a number of nightclubs where even middle class Argentinas go to be picked up sometimes to help meet rent, buy clothes, pay for college, etc.

The attitude here about foreigners and money in relation to women is very different than other LA countries.

And true, a lot of us who make moderate incomes in our home countries don't realize the difference - someone who pulls down $5000 USD in the States and lives here (particularly a bachelor) could live a very good lifestyle, as compared to someone local who makes $500 a month. A lot of us who come don't get out of the higher-level of living areas and don't see the poverty that abounds, or are not enough into the whole culture to see these things (some Porteños fall into that category as well, particularly those who believe the outrageously low percentage of poverty per population that the government reports here - less poverty than the States and many places in Europe!). If I remember right the poverty line here is something the equivalent of $200 a month...

Nope. Actually, I live in Colombia now and only drop by the forum for entertaining threads like these. I do not and have never had interest in making anyone run after my vagina. (Vagina is not a curse word, by the way, but I'm not surprised you treat it like one.) I had American and European male friends in Buenos Aires. Some had Argentine girlfriends/wives and some just liked to party and hook up. Why would I judge them or have any feelings on that at all? I also had American/European female friends doing the same thing. Who cares? Who is the cynical one here? You make yourself sound like that typical bitter guy who loves sex but doesn't actually like women too much. Yawn.

I went back and read my post. Just as I intended, it is free of judgment. I don't care if you want a transactional relationship or not. And sure, a lot of ladies will be happy to enter one, as I said. No, you don't need a CEO salary, but it never ceases to amaze my how many people on the forum refuse to admit that their income DOES make them quite wealthy in Argentina.

I sense a lot of men on the board getting defensive about their situations with younger Latin American women for reasons that probably have more to do with their own insecurities than my post. (Nor do I intend to make the claim that every man on here is in that type of relationship; I don't know any married men on the forum personally so how the hell would I know?) I just think the OP should be honest about what he's actually after. This was not your average post asking about differences in dating culture. This is a guy who has already eliminated two nationalities of women to date, and wants to live somewhere where he won't be judged for dating much younger. This is a guy who is asking if it's better to live in a second-tier city. Again, who cares, but come on, people. All I wanted to do was cut the BS.

Also, Steve, it's time to get over your Argentine ex who threw stuff at you or whatever. How many years are you going to spend on the forum writing about her? Move on. Generalizations are lame, and so is thinking that the best solution for abandoned women is finding a foreign man to improve her situation, not changing society so she's not dependent on a man's income to begin with.
Yes your right, its largely economic, but you know what? love can happen. I am under no illusion that my wealth will play a significant role in who i partner up with.

The money, intelligence, personality and experience is what i bring to the table. I consider myself average looking, i am no brad pitt. but whilst your so quick to want to cut through the "BS" as it were, you forget that each and every relationship, at its basic level, is in fact transactional. women and men go out with each other for what they can get not what they can give. It's the way we are wired. But the difference is you want to be blunt about it. So, ok I older man going to latin america and using my economic leverage to get a young, nubile body to keep me warm at night. Is that ok with you? :p :p :p :p

Did I frame it ok?

Back