Deadly Swine Flu paralyses Mexico City

Ok, enough about coconuts, I don't think there are enough coconut trees in Argentina to worry about a health risk.

To keep all this in perspective there have been fewer than 200 deaths in Mexico so far attributed to this outbreak. The Center for Disease Control estimates around 35000 deaths a year in the U.S. alone related to flu. That's in a normal year non-pandemic.

Moxon said:
They have just installed body temperature sensors in Ezeiza aiport.

Just flew in this morning and I can confirm, all the staff are wearing masks (I think it's because they are ugly or something) and everyone was screened for body temperature.
Thanks to this site I could tell all the confused passengers on my flight why they were being aparently filmed.

We all know why they should really be afraid. Tangobob is here:D

Pericles, this is a flu virus, it has been less deadly than the normal flu and the spread has been really minor. 2000 cases in a population of 400,000,000. My friends in the medical field put it in perspective really well, we have 35,000 deaths a year in the USA alone from normal flu which typically happen when someone has other more serious health problems, this virus has been mild. I think the panic and hype on the news has been much too great. Normal flu affects more than 1 million Americans a year and billions worldwide. Let's put this in perspective.

People taking normal precautions and having sanitary practices should be just fine. Think of the numbers, and with airplanes etc the exponential spread of this thing should have been much greater.

I think the hype is dying down and hopefully the fear will subside. I certainly do not want to catch it but if I had to live my life worrying about everything that could happen (yes, take normal precautions) and lived in fear, I would not be able to live a good life.

The media stoked this up out of practically nothing. Thousands die from flu every winter, even in developed countries. By all accounts this is a particularly mild strain; only the very old or very young need worry at all.

Latest news: as worldwide deaths reach almost (but not quite) 180, WHO declares a pandemic. OH MY GOD WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE :eek: :eek: :eek:

If something that kills 180 is a pandemic what does that make Air France.
My sincere apologies if that offends anyone, but please, does that not deserve more news reporting?

Back