Dealing With In-Laws When Flying Abroad

My wife's aunt once asked us to bring her a TV from California, in the days before lightweight flat-screens. We just ignored her. I did once bring a high-end MacBook Pro for my nephew, who is studying graphic design.

Thanks. Yes I`m going to ask for the money up front and say I dont hold any responsibility if it arrives not working. I too am being asked for "a tablet", "a notebook", they dont go into specifics so i`m going to say find the one you want on best buy website and thats what i`ll get if its in stock.

We`re staying in a hotel in South beach so i`m not sure if its possible and too risky to have things sent to the hotel via mail order. There is a best buy close by so will probably go
there once and buy the stuff, they do have the option to pickup from the store if its not in stock. So I guess I can order it first on the website before we leave Argentina and pick up in store when we arrive.

Great advice so far, and I wish we had stopped the madness sooner...I understand the frustration with import restrictions, but do you really need the iPhone 5c in blue when you already have the 5s? Our lawyer once asked us to get a purple camera for his daughter and finding it drove me crazy. A 16 year-old ended up with a camera ten times better than mine. Definitely be generous with your family and close friends (for one thing, you may be asking them for favors next time they go to Miami) and make everyone else pay in advance, have the item sourced in advance, and be ready to pay any extra luggage fees or customs charges. It should cut down on your requests, hassle and extra weight.

I used to go and patronize Best Buy stores but found their pricing not too competitive when shopping in Amazon.
So stopped going to BestBuys any longer. Amazon has the best prices around am thinking.?

Yeah, more Sony and Apple products for me ! I have to amasser much fo the container before packing to move to AR!

Reactions: Joe
I had that problem with my nuclear family when I was living in the US (they were living in Colombia). I hauled stuff for them with extra suitcases for few years until one day, with not much explanation, told them it was coming to an end.

Nowadays I only bring some very small stuff for my niece and nephew.

After all is not my visit the most wonderful gift? -that's what I always tell them. :D

Here's a photo of what I brought back last week from my solo trip to the US. It always looks like Christmas at our house after I return...

IMG_7112.JPG

Yes, that's a soundbar, 4 pairs of shoes, Dyson vacuum, pots and pans, organic baby food, diapers, spices, clothing, sheets, pillow covers, mattress cover, Olympus camera with lenses, protein bars, kids books, and more that I'm probably leaving out... All this with no extra baggage fees. :) I bought a golf bag to carry the soundbar and packed it with sheets, diapers and protein bars making it completely reusable!

We`re staying in a hotel in South beach so i`m not sure if its possible and too risky to have things sent to the hotel via mail order. There is a best buy close by so will probably go
there once and buy the stuff, they do have the option to pickup from the store if its not in stock. So I guess I can order it first on the website before we leave Argentina and pick up in store when we arrive.

I've had stuff sent from Amazon to hotels many times with no issue. Just address it as:

Hotel Name
ATTN: Guest Your Name, Arriving 5/20/14
Address

Works beautifully...

Back