Dealing With In-Laws When Flying Abroad

ARbound, I imagine that with a passport other than Argentine, you would be less likely to be scrutinised, although I haven't done the trip for a couple of years.

keep in mind that 99% of the customs measures are based upon intimidation. They do not have the equipment, time or the will to actually implement their non-sense. Just be smart.

I'm conflicted, I have like 6 people at work (all the people sick of me calling Argentina a Sh1thole I might add) asking me
to get people I know coming to Arge to bring stuff for them, and they're all willing to pay on Amazon for it and have it
delivered to friends' houses and just give the friends cash for the hassle and help pay the extra bag(s) fees.

Even if stuff is busted by Aduana it's cheaper and at least it doesn't get stolen. A friend who is moving back here (another member of BAExpats who actually told me about Y'all and is deaf to all our advise but likes it here, lord knows why) doesn't have the ability to bring stuff since she's coming alone via MVD but her friend is coming in July and I'm guilty of asking her if she'll bring stuff. I need a new phone and cheap $250 laptop since I sold everything in the ARBound blow out several weeks ago. For me, I told her I'd pay the extra bag fee (with my work friends too) and have it delivered to her place, all she does is bring it sans boxes and I'd give her some ARS for the hassle for spending money. I think this is the way to do it.

Lastly, a friend is moving to the PRC for work this week and wants me to visit. He said he'd pay part of my ticket (I'd have to likely pay the equivalent of a round trip to Peru or Northern Brazil) and it routes me through North America so I was thinking of getting friends and people I know to make their DX orders delivered to his apartment in China and I'll pick it up if I go there and on the way back I can do a layover and run in to Best Buy or Walmart or The Apple Store to help cut down on the cost of going to China, which depending on my luck could end up costing $500.

Long story short, flying in to EZE with a DNI and say 4 suit cases, what would the odds of me being busted? I'd only speak English to try and have them tell me to leave the airport, but worse case scenario, what happens? 50% tax on a sleek new iPad Air for Joe or some Kale seeds, Maple Syrup (from Canada none the less) and Peanut Butter for the rest of you guys?

Sorry this might appear a dumb question but what does ...MVD , ARS , PRC , DX actually mean? Because I DHAFC

Sorry this might appear a dumb question but what does ...MVD , ARS , PRC , DX actually mean? Because I DHAFC

Not a dumb question, Phillip is right, just trying to prevent confusion with other things and I have a terrible keybord

This is a tough question for me, as I have a couple of acquaintances who come down here and bring me things - but the difference is, I met them here, they travel here often, and they always ask ME if they can bring me something.

I went to the US to visit my folks for the first time in almost 6 years, back in January. I took orders from a number of family members for things from bras and baby clothes, to sneakers, coats, iPods, phones and watches. I spent a good portion of my time there just filling orders!

I decided never again. It's tough to do, and you might make a deal with one or two closest to you, but I'll never do it again, personally, for more than my immediate family here - unless there are some sort of extenuating circumstances.

My experience going through customs on my return has never changed in the 8 years I've been here, probably 8 trips altogether (although as I said, there was about 6 years between my last and penultimate trip). I have never been stopped, though I always fill out the declarations for some of the things I bring back (I've never even been asked for my declaration), with the rest I am prepared to claim as used stuff. But every time I get up to the x-ray machines, my bags pass right through without comment, usually because the attendant is talking to a buddy and not paying attention.

Last time I cam back with so much stuff they couldn't have missed it if they were trying to find stuff, but I've never even been asked if I'm visiting or live here when going through customs...

My husband was actually the worst offender and we even had a fight about it... he kept ordering stuff online (for himself, for his mother, for his brother, etc.) and before I knew it he was taking up half my suitcase. "But it's small and doesn't weigh much!" x 20 adds up. No more of that. :p You want stuff? You come with me next time.

haha, I would say the same thing. Thankfully my husband has no interest in consumerism. I shop for him almost as much as my child because he will wear his stuff until they're rags.

And this really is a topic that I think affects a lot of us. It has happened to us, too. Fortunately I'm not the only one in the family who travels Stateside, so it's not like they never get the opportunity. For those of you who have actually gone and looked for things for people, wow. If I'm willing to bring something, the only way it's going to get done is if they order it with their own credit card and send it to my parents'.

getting friends and people I know to make their DX orders delivered to his apartment in China and I'll pick it up if I go there and on the way back I can do a layover and run in to Best Buy or Walmart or The Apple Store to help cut down on the cost of going to China, which depending on my luck could end up costing $500.

I just got a pretty bad migraine reading these plans. To be fair each one of us have different passions and interests, mine happen to lay outside the borders of buying and accumulating stuff.

Traveling with 4 suitcases filled with stuff (most of it for some coworkers who complained often I gather) plus using a layover to catch a cab to go shopping for even more stuff doesn't sound like a vacation at all: hauling four suitcases with 200 pounds of stuff for other people around the world?

But again, we all have different ways of enjoying life. Good luck.

Long story short, flying in to EZE with a DNI and say 4 suit cases, what would the odds of me being busted? I'd only speak English to try and have them tell me to leave the airport, but worse case scenario, what happens? 50% tax on a sleek new iPad Air for Joe or some Kale seeds, Maple Syrup (from Canada none the less) and Peanut Butter for the rest of you guys?

I just came in a few weeks ago from a States visit with 2 huge suitcases, 1 large carry on suitcase and a duffle bag. I got nervous that there are now 11 x ray machines (oh no, efficiency! they care now!) but the man saw how I was obviously foreign and waved me along, just as has always happened to me.
The Argentine couple with 1 small suitcase each weren't so lucky, customs agent flat out asked them if they were Argentine, they answered a nervous yes and gained the pleasure of having their bags inspected.

I'd say if you aren't Argentine, you're fine. If you look remotely local (I don't) carry your passport in sight. They won't ask if you're a resident or to see a DNI (I have one, only show it at immigration obviously)

Back