Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

I haven't needed a backup plan in my case against my neighbor. The lawyers and mediator take their work seriously and are extremely helpful with information and advancing the process to its conclusion.

When my neighbor didn't show up on July 15 for mediation, an ACTA DE MEDIACION was written by the mediator stating that a new date for mediation would be set. I received a CEDULA DE NOTIFICACION JUDICIAL from the Ministerio Publico Fiscal (hand delivered) that my case would be heard for mediation on August 19. On August 14, I received another notification that my neighbor had requested a postponement of the mediation hearing and that the new date was September 9.

On August 19, she left someone's dog (Yorkshire Terrier) alone in her apartment for hours. It started barking in the late afternoon and didn't stop for more than an hour. I recorded the barking from my window and in front of her apartment door. I know the bark because my neighbor had two Yorkshires for 13 years. I believe this tactic was to provoke me into communicating with her, but I said and did nothing. A few days later she turned on the television with high volume very early in the morning after two months of total silence. We signed an agreement in June that she would respect the building rules and I would refrain from all communication with her. I kept my part of the agreement.

Today was the mediation hearing. Once again she did not appear after the required 30-minute waiting period. I had a private conversation with the lawyer and psychologist on the case. They wanted to know how things have been going over the past months. Thirteen must be my lucky number, because I waited 13 years for this complete change in her behavior. I am no longer stressed and can sleep restfully at night without waiting for her to turn off the television at 2:00 in the morning. This is a major change in my life for the better, and all as a result of filing a denuncia with the police and starting the mediation process.

Another Acta de Mediacion was executed because my neighbor didn't show up and a new date was requested. I shall continue avoiding any type of communication with my neighbor and wait for the next notification of mediation hearing.

I initiated legal action with the police only four months ago, and I can be patient for another month for a conclusion.

I'm glad it works for you. Also in my case things are calm. People still have parties, but is much more quiet. This week girl, that had some crazy tacos party last year, rang me and explained, that she'll have bday party next day. I slept a bit during the day and prepared movies for the night, but at the end there was barely a sound...

I guess people do change their attitude a bit, if you try to solve the problem.

Case closed in six months.

I was called by the prosecutor's office on October 19 about my case since mediation didn't continue because the defendant didn't show up. Friday, November 6, I received another judicial notification on my case, basically stating a summary of the complaint over six months. After hearing from me that my neighbor was respecting the consorcio rules, my complaint was filed with no reason to advance it and I was notified accordingly.

Does the system work? It does. After 13 years of constant noise, I got my life back. I don't speak to my neighbor nor even see her in the building.

I made a denuncia several years ago, but never heard anything more about the denuncia.

We have a neighbor next who's loud sex could be heard every night and would throw pre-parties every 2 weeks or so.
The 1st time we knocked on his door to politely let him know the party was being noisy, he politely apologized and quiet down.
The 2nd time the same happened and the next day we let the encargado know. He told use other nearby neighbors complained of the same. We should talk to the noise neighbor and if it doesn't work to make a denuncia.

The 3rd time it escalated a little. After our noise complain at 2AM, he apologized, everyone left the party, but at 5 AM returns for loud sex. We knock on his wall only to receive what sounds like punching and kicking at the wall. We complained to the encargado who said there's not much he can do now, but would let the administration of the building know and that we should make a denuncia to prevent further escalation. We made the denuncia on the Sunday (less than 24h after the event) - I believe the phone number is 0800-333-47225.

On Monday we got a text message from the neighbor apologizing profusely for the noise and the kicking. After a bit more communication and explanation on both sides we agreed that we would let each other know in the future if major noise was to be expected. I don't think he was aware of how well we could hear the sex. The tension lasted 3 months, and it's now been 2 months since we settled the matters. When we got a call back from the denuncia we did less than 24h before, we told them we have resolved the issue. I was impressed with the speediness of everything.

Part of my frustration, to begin with, was being told that filling a complain and the processes here (in Argentina) won't work. That I would have to somehow live with this. But it wasn't true. Not in this case at least. I'm not claiming that every case will resolve like this, or that even in our case we won't have problems in the future. But some processes work. And I think increasingly so. I think this is what gives me peace.

I was called by the prosecutor's office on October 19 about my case since mediation didn't continue because the defendant didn't show up. Friday, November 6, I received another judicial notification on my case, basically stating a summary of the complaint over six months. After hearing from me that my neighbor was respecting the consorcio rules, my complaint was filed with no reason to advance it and I was notified accordingly.

Does the system work? It does. After 13 years of constant noise, I got my life back. I don't speak to my neighbor nor even see her in the building.

That's a great result mate.
I wish we could do the same with the bloke who lives in a wooden hut across the road and extorts money as some kind of neighbourhood watch.

This has nothing to do with noisy neighbors so much as denuncias. They usually don't function but on rare occasion they do. Over ten years ago I bought an expensive pair of leather shoes near Parque Las Heras and after a week they fell apart. The owner refused to refund my money and after repeated complaints he threw me out of the store. I didn't care about the money so much as the non-ethical business practice of the owner of this shop. I went to La Defensa del Consumidor and during the audiencia the judge didn't seem
moved by my story. That is until she asked to see the receipt and when she discovered that it was simply a piece of paper with the price typed on it and that the owner was guilty of tax evasion, she told him to pay me back. He pulled the cash out of his pocket and threw it on the desk and got up to leave . She asked him where did he think he was going, and said I could go but that he would have to stay and have a chat with her. Sweet revenge.

The neighbor started disrespecting the city/consorcio rules again regarding noise after 10pm. I kept notes, called the police to investigate, and finally made another "denuncia" today against her with a lawyer at the Ministerio Publico Fiscal in my neighborhood at Combate de los Pozos 155. I never knew I had this option, but it was mentioned in a post above.

I presented a legal document from the mediation to the lawyer on duty, and he prepared to take my complaint right then an there. I explained what has been going on for the past month. I spent at least an hour there while the lawyer wrote the ACTA DE RECEPCION DE DENUNCIA. He read the complaint for me to understand and then I signed a copy and received one.

When there is another occurrence, I will call 0800 333 47225 asking for an investigation at my apartment, mentioning that I filed a denuncia today.

You'd think that neighbors could discuss a noise problem and resolve it. It's impossible to talk to this woman. Our provisional agreement in June states that I will not contact her in any manner. I've kept my part of the agreement.

Her TV was on after 22 hs last night. I called the 800 number at 23,30 hs so they would call the police to respond. I waited and waited while the TV noise below my bed continued. I called again at 2 hs and at 3 hs. The Fiscalia said the police were busy responding to emergencies. I went to bed at 3,30 exhausted with her TV at low volume. At 4 hs I knew she was sleeping, but I couldn't. I hoped the police would arrive if only to confirm that they heard my neighbor's TV; she claims it's from the warehouse next door. After a few hours of sleep, I awoke at 10 hs to the sound of her television. I saw her leaving the apartment with her bicycle at 11,30 hs. I have quiet in my apartment for a few hours while she is gone.

I found the website for the Ministerio Publico Fiscal de la Ciudad with information on where to make a denuncia and what you need to bring. http://www.fiscalias.gob.ar/presencial/

Have you purchased some earplugs while you wait for it to be sorted out? Also try a white noise app on your phone -- this is not to discount your experience, just trying to help with some solutions in the meantime.

Back