Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

For what it's worth (and it's probably not worth much), your story elicits tons of sympathy and empathy. Knowing that this could happen to any of us and that, especially here in Argentina, being on the right side and doing the right things are irrelevant in a society that does not believe in providing protections nor justice to victims - those are reserved for the perpetrators.

It's heart-breaking.

men are from mars women are from venus. solution...if the service to her unit passes by your balcony you need a point of disconnect. disconnect her service after business hours so you can sleep, reconnect when you wake up. if you cut the cable in the past there should be a coupling to unscrew for the night. dolce suenos

always have to add to the original thought. if they changed the original cable from her unit to the cable source, put in a new coupling at a location below eye level and paint it to match the cable color. usually you only need to unscrew it partially to disconnect the service.

I completely forgot about how I handled a noisy downstairs neighbor in N. Cape May, NJ back in 1976. My wife and I, with our 1 year old daughter lived upstairs in an apartment building (at least we had the end unit; our next door neighbors upstairs were always very quiet.

I was in the Coast Guard as was our downstair's idiot, oops I mean neighbor. We shared a common entrance door into a small vestibule; then we each had our own locking apartment door, ours leading to the flight of stairs up to the apartment.Think of this stairwell as a noise amplifier.

They always left their front door partially open possibly a bad latch but every time my wife or I would enter the vestibule he'd make a point of slamming the door, so hard, that we almost had a framed picture or two fall off the wall. My father-in-law had worked for AMPEX and had a reel to reel and cassette tape library that would make a record store jealous. In particular interest to me were the sound effects tapes he had! He had also given me a pair of speakers, about 4" cubed with a magnet 2-3 times stronger then one would expect. They also had long cables...long enough to dangle outside a bedroom window on the first floor.

I don't know how the sound of a steam locomotive, pulling a freight train past a fixed point affected him, but the door slamming stopped for a few months.

Not that this chap was an idiot but the last straw was one evening when my wife asked me if I smelled smoke...looking at the stairwell I saw a cloud of smoke rolling up the stairs. I told my wife to take our daughter and immediately get out of the apartment. Following them down the stairs - well the idiot's apartment door was open a hair or two and the apartment was full of smoke. As I was yelling for anyone in the house - from a bedroom comes idiot, tying a robe around his waist, and saying, "my dinner!" Dumbass put food in the oven and went to bed...to sleep. I tried to stop him from opening the oven door, trying to make sure his family got out of the apartment...but he opened the door...singing his eye lashes completely!

The local volunteer fire department couldn't believe just how stupid he was. A week later the Coast Guard moved us to a safer location, a brand new house!

A friend from New York told me about a neighbor in his building who played her grand piano at all hours of the day and night. He went on vacation for a month leaving two speakers on her apartment wall, blasting Nirvana music 24 hours a day. She learned her lesson after a month of noise.

men are from mars women are from venus. solution...if the service to her unit passes by your balcony you need a point of disconnect. disconnect her service after business hours so you can sleep, reconnect when you wake up. if you cut the cable in the past there should be a coupling to unscrew for the night. dolce suenos

Unfortunately, the coupling is located on the building terrace, not near my bedroom window. I disconnected the coupling once, which she promptly reconnected it.

She knows how disruptive she is, but refuses to follow consorcio rules. If I call her cell phone, she doesn't answer. When I tap on the floor, she retaliates banging on my door or ringing my doorbell for a minute.

I bought a large wire cutter for 180 pesos to do the job and cut the cable outside my bedroom window. I thought I'd hear from her, but I had a peaceful night of sleep for a change. Yesterday morning, Telecentro installed a new cable along the building wall out of my reach. She's been pounding on my door and ringing the doorbell periodically so she can vent.

My case is progressing. My neighbor received a notice to appear at the attorney general's office this week where his sworn testimony as my witness will be taken. He has heard the noise from below at night when she is not at home and knows what I've been going through.

If this was the USA, this story would have ended in gun violence a long time ago. Hahhaha. I can't believe you are still dealing with this by cutting cables, etc.

I think at this point I'd probably be trying to cause a surge over the coax wire and fry the TV set. Hahahha.

My neighbor gave his testimony on May 10 to the Fiscalia in my case, but it wasn't good enough for them. I spoke with someone today, expecting to get a date for mediation, but instead I was informed that my case has been CLOSED. If I want it reopened, I must appear within three days at their offices.

I've been keeping detailed notes on every incident and recording the late night conversations from the living room while the television is on loud in the bedroom, preventing me from sleeping in my bed. I've been sleeping on a yoga mat on the floor for weeks. I know I'm dealing with a mentally unbalanced person.

I'm not giving up. I had five months of silence when she respected the hours after mediation. I have to request a new investigation for resolution.

I filed my appeal on May 24 with a request for review. After two weeks, I called the Fiscalia for their decision. I was told on the phone that they found no reason to continue my case. This week I received a notice of order with a written decision. The problem is that the Fiscalia division that reviewed my case this year is a different one that handled my initial complaint quickly and satisfactorily one year ago.

I feel as though I'm under attack by terrorists. The girlfriend threatened me on May 25 saying she would "kill me" and more recently grabbed my neck to choke me in the hallway of the building. Both women are mentally unbalanced. The other is a pathological liar.

The television noise continues even when they aren't home. Their bedroom television sounds like shooting bullets to my ears. They talk in the living room with the television turned up in the bedroom. I'm tired of sleeping on the floor, so I moved my bed to the living room a few days ago. I still have to hear their loud talking at night, but at least I have quiet to sleep.

Jan, sorry to hear that 2nd mediation failed to resolve your ongoing issue.

Due to the latest incident involving physical and verbal threats you should consider filing a complaint with the
Dirección General de la Mujer GCBA - Area de Asistencia Integral a la Violencia Doméstica y Sexual
(Gubernamental - CABA)

http://www.ciudadyderechos.org.ar/ejercicio_os_m.php?id=13

Be aware that in ARG rarely do causes advance without legal representation from an attorney. But in most cases, the victim must initially bear the cost of the legal fees.
If down the line (approx 3-5 years) a favorable ruling is obtained, then comes the unsurmountable battle to collect for damages and legal fees. The court MAY agree to grant you an injunction to place a lien on their apt so you can collect when it's sold. Bu it's highly improvable to obtain an eviction ruling when dealing with person(s) with "mental illnesses" if they are the titled homeowners of the unit. .

I personally would consider moving.

Back