Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

I would just talk to them if it would happen again.

I also have a noisy neighbour, and when I talked to him about it he was surprised and didn't realise we heard him so well...
Mine watches movies from +/- 3 am till 7 am, in his bedroom which is right under ours, and he has an exellent surround system, which makes not only the windows, but also the floor and our bed, vibrate. Fortunately only when his parents aren't home.

I once lived in an apt where the couple above me had very noisy sex. That in itself is normal, but at the time I was single and saw no much action, thus it increased my frustrations. The only thing left was to play on guessing on which position the girl was.
A month later I got myself a girl that was even louder. All I had to do is to check what she liked the most and focus on the right moves and the entire building felt the action on apt 2 "C"

My point is... ok, I don't know what the point is... things do come around, maybe that.
:p

I´ve lived here for over 3 years in 3 different apartments and there have been noise issues in every single one. First in Microcentro (Córdoba y Reconquista) and you really can't complain much because it's the center of town and noise is part of the deal, so unless there is construction noise outside of the allowed hours, complaining or talking to neighbors about some loud talking or loud music will only earn you the title of "boludo yanqui". Second in Barrio Norte (Charcas y Agüero) upscale and lots of foreigners and students who "party it up" all night, so again, just have to live with it because talking nice to people will get you the following response "ay disculpáme, vamos a bajar el volumen de la musica y no gritar" this will last for about 1 day and then back the the same old thing.......my remedy was some good earplugs. Third and current, Villa Urquiza, (Olazábal and Alvarez Thomas) a quiet and very up and coming neighborhood, mostly houses and small buildings, I have neighbors who make very loud all night parties, I've never said a word, just use my earplugs, however another neighbor who has a disabled 8 year old son, she's called the police and they did come however the neighbors accused her of infringing on her right to a social life and at a consorcio meeting her boyfriend wanted to punch (they had to hold him back) the father of the boy for speaking up.......so use your judgement, most people here are generally courteous and not want to disturb you however don't expect people to comply with your wishes when it comes to not partying, they act like you don't have the right to NOT listen to their noise. Again, the best remedy is earplugs or legal action if it's ruining your life.

steveinbsas said:
At least your neighbor doesn't come over and leave his horse to graze in your yard...like mine does.

I live in the country and the neighbor's cows jump over the fence all the time. Our dogs love to bark at them, so I haven't complained. The cows graze on fresh pastures, the neighbor gets free feed, and the dogs get endless entertainment - everybody is happy.

We live in a fairly small loft style flat. My downstairs neighbour complains when we walk up stairs, if we come home late at night, if we play music during the day, hoover, wash up...

Apparently sound travels straight through our floor to her ceiling, and all of it is intolerable. When she first complained about us playing music at normal volume at 2pm (turned up at my door in her night dress screaming, apparently she works nights at the guardia and needs siesta) we apologised profusely, and tried to give her a bottle of wine. The next time we saw her, she was hammering on my door at 7am, screaming that we'd been stamping on the floor all night. We'd got back from dinner at 2am and gone to bed.

I feel for you having noisy neighbours, but sometimes this comes down to bad building design. In a lot of buildings, little or no attention is paid to acoustics and noise reduction. Building materials in a lot of new buildings are a lot cheaper, and sound often carries through walls, floors, riser shafts etc. We've never played music late at night, had big parties, or made lots of noise but apparently despite all this we're still bad neighbours for making intolerable amounts of noise. Short of going to bed at 8pm and hovering above the floor I'm not sure what else we can do...

You can complain to the building administration, and threaten to make a denuncia (what our neighbour threatened). They shouldn't be shouting or playing loud music at night, but there's not a whole lot you can do about people talking or walking...

You can't be expected to levitate - tell that pesky neighbor to invest in an acoustic ceiling. It is not expensive.

SaraSara said:
I live in the country and the neighbor's cows jump over the fence all the time. Our dogs love to bark at them, so I haven't complained. The cows graze on fresh pastures, the neighbor gets free feed, and the dogs get endless entertainment - everybody is happy.

I love it! I'm totally jealous.

& Steve, I think you should let the horse eat the grass in your yard! Make friends with the wildlife. :D

PS, sorry I can't help with the noisy neighbors. Good advice all around. Let's hope it was a one time thing. Or at least not that often.

mini said:
Steve, I think you should let the horse eat the grass in your yard! Make friends with the wildlife. :D

Please come for a visit. I'll have the shovel and wheelbarrow waiting for you.

steveinbsas said:
Please come for a visit. I'll have the shovel and wheelbarrow waiting for you.

It's fertilizer! All good. Plus it's only one horse.... how bad can it be? (says the girl from the city, not to be confused with CityGirl. ;) )

billsfan said:
I once lived in an apt where the couple above me had very noisy sex. That in itself is normal, but at the time I was single and saw no much action, thus it increased my frustrations. The only thing left was to play on guessing on which position the girl was.
A month later I got myself a girl that was even louder. All I had to do is to check what she liked the most and focus on the right moves and the entire building felt the action on apt 2 "C"

My point is... ok, I don't know what the point is... things do come around, maybe that.
:p
haha well done matey,that made me laugh:)

Back