Dealing with noisy neighbour in an apartment block

I would agree that this has improved, but it's still a small minority that cleans up after their dogs. Cat people, however, never clean up after their pests, let alone the feral felines they feed in places like the Jardín Botánico (which needs an after-hours Rottweiler patrol).
At least cats try to hide it (most of the time)

"give up and just deal with it because you just won't ever get anything done about it"

Can you imagine a city or country where 100% of its inhabitants had that attitude? No one could survive.

It's time for change from an unconscious existence to living consciously.

How long have you lived here? You think all of this is a recent phenomenon regarding living in Argentina?

The problem is your thinking like a foreigner, not like an Argentine. They don't think like us, what bothers us and we consider important and serious, they don't. You want them to have the idea that they should think like we do about these things.....and they just don't" nor will they ever.....it's a different country, different culture, different approach, different way of thinking........

I don't know what more to tell you.... youre living in a foreign country..

Do you realise when we complain about these things they pretty much look at us like...what's their problem? Well it's true, they just don't worry about this kind of stuff here really....if they did, folks wouldn't even be discussing this stuff.

For what it's worth, calling the cops on my crazy upstairs neighbor who went on screaming matches with herself actually worked. I called 911 in the guise that I was worried that she would kill herself or something. They showed up and knocked on her door for a good 15 minutes. Her dogs went ballistic, she didn't make a sound. Eventually I went upstairs to show my face, and a rookie pointed a gun at me. Then the lady answered in a sweet and calm voice and let the cops in, and I slipped away before she could see me and identify me.

I have no idea what they said to her, but I did not hear her anymore. Well, I actually did last weekend, but I also heard another woman calling her crazy. Every morning she seems to drop something heavy, though, and it has waken me up. Her dogs also go crazy when she's about to take them out for a walk, but they are pretty tame. I like dogs, but I've always been a cat person, see, and I utterly dislike people who don't train their dogs to behave. Honestly, I don't know they can live with so much noise. I did know about something worse: the neighbors of an office where I used to work still have, to this day, a big guacamayo who spends the whole day either squawking or going "HOLA!" to passerby. It is ridiculous. Whatever. The point is, excited dogs and clumsiness I can deal with. Way to go, police!

And to add to the poop discussion: I was recently walking by when I see a middle age woman being pulled around like a rag doll by her Bernese Mountain Dog. She fell to the ground and got hit bad on her shoulder with a treeless maceta. Since my best mate had recently got into an accident in the street, I decided I needed to help. When I got close, the damn dog tried to attack me. I assume she was "defending" her owner, right after knocking her down and leaving her lying in the gutter under a parked car. Seriously, what a brute of a beast. Cats don't do that, you know? Anyways. She ended up being taken by an ambulance on a wheelchair and DID NOT pick up the dog's turd.

How long have you lived here? You think all of this is a recent phenomenon regarding living in Argentina?

The problem is your thinking like a foreigner, not like an Argentine. They don't think like us, what bothers us and we consider important and serious, they don't. You want them to have the idea that they should think like we do about these things.....and they just don't" nor will they ever.....it's a different country, different culture, different approach, different way of thinking........

Do you realise when we complain about these things they pretty much look at us like...what's their problem? Well it's true, they just don't worry about this kind of stuff here really....if they did, folks wouldn't even be discussing this stuff.

Jantango is one of the long term veterans on this site -- on their profile they say they came in 1996 because of tango (I'm pretty sure Jantango is a woman but just covering my bases with the use of "they"). I'd say Jantango probably has a really good grip on Argentina, I think they've been here at least 10 yrs longer than you have!

Really? You of all people are one to talk. Since you first came on here (about 2 weeks ago) you have added nothing but complaints.
Nancy

I've lived in Buenos Aires since 1999 and am now a citizen of Argentina. I have seen great improvements in city life, especially in the last four years with Mayor Macri.

If we expats don't do anything about situations, we are just part of the status quo and using the same excuse as Argentines have for many years: no me importa.

I taught my 75-year-old neighbor how to sort his garbage for recycling a few days ago. He was interested in learning and even took notes. I'm handling his recyclables with mine by carrying them to a Punto Verde four blocks from our building. There is hope. I'm going to offer my help to the other residents if they want to participate. The program started two years ago and many still haven't figured out they need to use the new bags for garbage.

Back