Dealing with noisy neighbours in BA

Yes. I wondered about that at the time. My Argentinean husband says your presumption is correct, fear of reprisal. So I guess we were lucky.

I thought it was because they didn't expect that we would succeed, so they didn't want to stick their necks out. Maybe they were right in thinking that inertia and support for the status quo is so built into the system that we were never going to succeed. But as long as most people feel that way, and don't try, we are never going to find out. Our building is small (24 apts on 2 elevator shafts. Almost everyone on each elevator has a nodding acquaintance with all the others.) so we didn't get any negative repercussions. In fact, we seem to have benefitted because now the admin and the neighbors think they have a crazy, combative Americana in their midst.

As they say here "La sacaste barata"

I actually just leased a second apartment to get away from the noise in the first apt. You never know what you're going to get though... I can't wait to tell the first landlord that I'm breaking the lease.
Well done. I am renting 2 apartments concurrently for past few months.

Yes. I wondered about that at the time. My Argentinean husband says your presumption is correct, fear of reprisal. So I guess we were lucky.

I thought it was because they didn't expect that we would succeed, so they didn't want to stick their necks out. Maybe they were right in thinking that inertia and support for the status quo is so built into the system that we were never going to succeed. But as long as most people feel that way, and don't try, we are never going to find out. Our building is small (24 apts on 2 elevator shafts. Almost everyone on each elevator has a nodding acquaintance with all the others.) so we didn't get any negative repercussions. In fact, we seem to have benefitted because now the admin and the neighbors think they have a crazy, combative Americana in their midst.

For other tenants be warned avoid going to war with a possibly violent neighbor ...
I lived over ten years in a Recoleta building with 150 apts. mostly temporary , I witnessed all sorts of reprisals from dead cats, slashed tires , graffiti . threats, verbal and physical aggression, trash on your terrace. etc.

For other tenants be warned avoid going to war with a possibly violent neighbor ...
I lived over ten years in a Recoleta building with 150 apts. mostly temporary , I witnessed all sorts of reprisals from dead cats, slashed tires , graffiti . threats, verbal and physical aggression, trash on your terrace. etc.
Good advice Rich one,

Two wrongs don't make a right as I have said. It only starts a war.

Any one who will make the kind of reprisals you listed is capable of a lot more if pushed hard enough.

A smart person plays the part of the bigger person and ignores the offender. It's a hard thing to do. And you shouldn't have to do it, but that is how the world works sometimes.

I've detailed my noisy neighbor experience in 2015-16 on the forum. https://baexpats.org/threads/dealing-with-noisy-neighbour-in-an-apartment-block.9638/page-11

On two occasions the lock on my apartment door was jimmied with a tool, but a locksmith was able to fix it quickly. When these little incidents occur, it is important to point it out to your neighbors in the building, as a witness to support your case. One night I encountered the neighbor on the street corner where she threatened me if I said anything while her friends were over late that night, keeping me awake with their incessant chatter. I summoned the strength to yell ACOSO several times until I saw that people were looking out their windows. She walked away. She and her girlfriend usually have harassed me physically and verbally inside the building. When they turned on a heating unit on the wall of my bedroom (that didn't have consorcio approval), I banged on the floor until it was turned off. Of course they had to threaten me again, because they're both bullies. The heater hasn't been used all winter. The vibration from the unit made it impossible for me to sleep.

There are laws because there are so many who don't respect others and live unconsciously, like my neighbors. No one has to put up with inconsiderate neighbors who do as they please. It's worth doing a police report and having mediation to get resolution.

Loud fan or white noise machine plus ear plugs.

They sound like jerks, so not even addressing the possibility of reasoning with them.

Back