Democrats In Argentina - Group Forming

I don't know why anyone would watch tonight's debate. It is like a group of pigs feeding at a trough.

On Friday, July 12, when Americans across the US stand together in protest against the atrocities occurring in camps and immigration centers in the United States, Democrats Abroad will be standing with them.

JhUKUvu1S9s5kbcVFjnGKKjx33C0mTjcngQ3RfJVRQJ7pL0rYKyUq89zEux-oJAY3jnyKUSnAzzx7Tw5exUAaXTah7odhWX9kquL1PSytPfLb89sEZHGTHmsWWJhYmQzElzepAXxD9waHFbEFYcdhG7tEieZ9CzscB2fyuk-c7T3fapN6Tc=s0-d-e1-ft

Will you join us?

Join our online vigil and let the US know that Americans around the world stand with immigrants to the States.

1. Print out this sign, add your location and voting state, and light a candle.
  2. Take a picture similar to the ones you see in the example above.
  3. Reply to this email with your pic.
  4. Post your photo on social media with #DAResists #LightsforLIberty #NeverAgainIsNow #ClosetheCamps

Don’t forget to make your post public and include #DAResists so we can find it. Here’s how to do this on Facebook without impacting other privacy settings.

We’ll be holding dozens of events in person and have prepared a variety of ways you can get involved beyond our virtual vigil -- from calling Congress to speaking out on social media, to staying educated on what’s really happening at the US border and in detention camps across the country. Read more here: https://www.democratsabroad.org/lights_for_liberty

I hope you’ll stand with us on this important issue, and then reach out to your US representatives and demand action.

Democratically yours,
Julia Bryan
Global Chair, Democrats Abroad

Can any of us imagine being treated this way when we arrived in Argentina to make it our new home?

Last edited:
Most people on this forum entered Argentina legally.
Seeing the inhumane treatment of children in detention camps is horrifying. The discussion about "undocumented" people in the USA caused me to reflect on my own situation.

I arrived in Buenos Aires on February 3, 1999, with the intention of staying here permanently. I renewed my tourist visa in my US passport every 90 days by taking the boat to Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay, for the day. I did so until March 2012. Was I undocumented in Argentina? I believe so. Was I treated badly? Never. I became a naturalized citizen through the court on July 4, 2013, and took the oath of citizenship on August 13, 2013. Technically, I was "illegal" for 14 years and was never asked to leave Argentina. During the citizenship process, I received four deportation notices from migraciones when I didn't renew the tourist visa. I didn't appear at migraciones and run the risk of being jailed and/or deported. They had my address, but didn't come after me like ICE is doing now in the USA.

If I had known earlier about the Lights for Liberty vigil being held in many cities in the US and around the world today, I would have organized one for Democrats Abroad in Argentina -- in front of the US Embassy. I took the photo yesterday with a CLOSE THE CAMPS sign supporting today's vigil.

Seeing the inhumane treatment of children in detention camps is horrifying. The discussion about "undocumented" people in the USA caused me to reflect on my own situation.

I arrived in Buenos Aires on February 3, 1999, with the intention of staying here permanently. I renewed my tourist visa in my US passport every 90 days by taking the boat to Colonia de Sacramento, Uruguay, for the day. I did so until March 2012. Was I undocumented in Argentina? I believe so. Was I treated badly? Never. I became a naturalized citizen through the court on July 4, 2013, and took the oath of citizenship on August 13, 2013. Technically, I was "illegal" for 14 years and was never asked to leave Argentina. During the citizenship process, I received four deportation notices from migraciones when I didn't renew the tourist visa. I didn't appear at migraciones and run the risk of being jailed and/or deported. They had my address, but didn't come after me like ICE is doing now in the USA.

If I had known earlier about the Lights for Liberty vigil being held in many cities in the US and around the world today, I would have organized one for Democrats Abroad in Argentina -- in front of the US Embassy. I took the photo yesterday with a CLOSE THE CAMPS sign supporting today's vigil.
Of course you forgot a small detail, often overlooked by bleeding heart liberals; While in Argentina were you collecting welfare? Free food? Free medical care? Free education? Free housing? Free legal advice? Oh, and though I know the answer as do all reading this I must also ask if a burglar broke into your house or apartment, would you feed, clothe and otherwise care for him? And would you welcome him into your family as a close relative?

Thank you for recounting you blatant and deliberate violation of Argentine law over a prolonged period. The history you describe does not say to me that Argentina is "nice to foreigners." It speaks to me that you have no respect for your host country and it's sovereign law. Personally, I would be ashamed.

Thank you for recounting you blatant and deliberate violation of Argentine law over a prolonged period. The history you describe does not say to me that Argentina is "nice to foreigners." It speaks to me that you have no respect for your host country and it's sovereign law. Personally, I would be ashamed.
I was not the sole foreigner living in Buenos Aires without documentation. At least I respected the 90-day limit (never overstayed as so many still do) and renewed my tourist visa. In those days, immigration said nothing. No one told me to leave the country. My options were: marry an Argentine, have a baby (impossible) or get a work contract. There was no information online then as there is today about residency.

I shared my personal story to highlight the inhuman treatment of migrants in the country I no longer recognize. I am proud to be a naturalized citizen of Argentina. The court did not have a problem with my years of visa renewals and granted citizenship.

I was not the sole foreigner living in Buenos Aires without documentation. At least I respected the 90-day limit (never overstayed as so many still do) and renewed my tourist visa. In those days, immigration said nothing. No one told me to leave the country. My options were: marry an Argentine, have a baby (impossible) or get a work contract. There was no information online then as there is today about residency.

I shared my personal story to highlight the inhuman treatment of migrants in the country I no longer recognize. I am proud to be a naturalized citizen of Argentina. The court did not have a problem with my years of visa renewals and granted citizenship.
This is a dishonest justification and an irrational thought pattern. The fact that others were living in Argentina and scamming the system the same way is no excuse for being a serial law breaker in a foreign country. The fact that Argentina lacked the resources to prosecute you and others that blatantly violated the country's immigration laws is not proof that it was acceptable.

Honest and dignified people don't obey the law because other people obey the law, or because they fear enforcement. They obey the law because they carry themselves integrity and honesty.

The only positive I find in your otherwise lamentable account, is the fact that you are not in the US. I prefer that lawbreakers stay out of my country.

Back