Demystifying american expats rants

What an incredible subject and with close to 200 replies in just 48 hours wow. I have to say that there is some truth in that the food of Buenos Aires is bland but I have noticed its improving of late and there is definetly more variety .

I am one of those who has complained about argentine home style cooking for the simple reason that I was terribly spoiled in my youth by my greek cypriot mothers cooking that was known to be the best of all our huge extended family and this in a food crazy culture is saying a lot . The problem is here in Argentina and this has been covered before is the lack of preparation and love that goes into cooking . The reasons are many but comes down to the culture of cooking itself and the stigma of maids combined with this. To prepare great meals it requires patience and a lot of elaboration of spices and this takes time something that is not respected here like in an sardinian village or mexican or peruvian home where there is a culture of cooking through all social classes.

If you look at the evolution of Peruvian cooking and its impact on the world stage now you can see this innovation and hopefully some of this will rub off on Buenos Aires.

There are great restaurants in Capital Federal but there are not great cheap take away places including sandwiches of high quality , cakes, tacos, hamburgers, vietnamese food, mexican food, indian food ,greek gyros and so on and on.

Buenos Aires is conservative in its food culture and sadly this is a negative for many myself included.

cbphoto said:
I just picked up some spicy wok noodles with beef and veggies from Bitterroot...in Los Angeles... hmmmmmm yummy!!! :p

fuck_you.jpg

pericles said:
The problem is here in Argentina and this has been covered before is the lack of preparation and love that goes into cooking . The reasons are many but comes down to the culture of cooking itself and the stigma of maids combined with this.

Very interesting point. Cooking is not valued in Argentina because it's something the hired help does. Not so in the States.

Buffalo is really meant to be from Tonawanda to Orchard Park and out to Clarence...

Pizza by La Nova (unrivaled)
Chicken Wings by Duff's (Obama ate them last time he came to Amherst)

Salvatore's Italian Gardens on Transit Road.

Buffalo has the best food
Andersen's Custard
Ted's Foot long hot dogs (with skin and everything on it.)
Scwable's Beef on Weck (great rolls) Orchard Park
Louie's French Fries, Tonawanda
Left Bank on Rhode Island (fun place to eat dinner)

the people are the best ingredient
If you have not discovered how great the people are (they will take you home for dinner) it's not them that are not friendly.

Eddie Brady's for a drink or go on Chippewa (any bar there)

nikad said:
The chef´s tasting menu is mean! Too bad I am on a diet ;) The prices are not crazy either.

nope! it's a great place. I'm close friends with the owner/head chef

for what it's worth, he was on the iron chef and beat bobby flay but I also know 2 other chefs who have gone on the show and won.

arty said:

for what it's worth, he was on the iron chef and beat bobby flay but I also know 2 other chefs who have gone on the show and won.

Really ?

color me impressed. That was one of my favorite shows when I was a little kid. Well the Original Japanese version.

Chef Morimoto was the man.

arty said:

I like that show, now can you please introduce me to your friends? ;)

Back