Desperately Need Advice From Us Parents With Argie Kid(S)

In the 1990s, my Argentine-born wife and I frequently traveled separately to or from Buenos Aires with our US-born daughter. We were never asked for any such document at either end of the trip. Perhaps they've changed the rules since?

Referred to earlier tonight, please make sure you have your permiso de viaje if not traveling with the other parent in order to leave Argentina. Without it...you are not going anywhere.

Doesn't necessarily have to leave or enter on Argentine passport. My Argentine-born wife has a new DNI, but she hasn't had an Argentine passport for at least a decade. She comes and goes on her US passport - without even having to pay the retaliation fee.

If you have your child's US passport, he has to leave Arg with Arg passport and enter the US on his US passport, leave US with US passport and re enter Arg on Arg passport.

When we went to register her birth I chose not to get the US Passport thinking it wasn't really necessary since she can only leave/enter on her Argentine passport. I thought it would be something for down the road, not for an infant. My mistake...luckily we're not traveling until July so we have time.

Thanks everyone for their time!
It only takes about 9 days. Get moving. Oh yeah....if you are traveling ie leaving Argentina make sure you have birth cert, letter of permission [I forgot the correct name] ,marriage cert.

A US passport of course or a VISA in her passport. Otherwise the company is not going to allow you to take the flight.

Just as a clarification - as she is a US citizen, she cannot get a visa in her passport (I heard that directly from the US Embassy)

And yes, to the OP, your daughter will need a US passport to enter the US.

Wanted to make sure you know that if you are traveling without spouse that you cannot take your child out of the country (besides U.S. passport) without a legalized document done by an escribano stating that spouse gives permission.

Wanted to make sure you know that if you are traveling without spouse that you cannot take your child out of the country (besides U.S. passport) without a legalized document done by an escribano stating that spouse gives permission.
Husband's coming, thanks for the tip, love that Argentina is trying to avoid child abductions with this law.

I only have a US passport, but have found in my travels that many Immigration officers frown when they see someone with more than one ... that's where the confusion began for me ... when does she present her US one or her Argie one.
Doesn't necessarily have to leave or enter on Argentine passport. My Argentine-born wife has a new DNI, but she hasn't had an Argentine passport for at least a decade. She comes and goes on her US passport - without even having to pay the retaliation fee.
I read that she legally must travel in and out with her Argentine passport, that's why I didn't bother getting her US passport when I registered her birth.

Living with a toddler I'm trying to cut costs and bureaucracy.

Got the appointment at the embassy, all set.

And they walk among us...................
Thanks for the sarcasm, super helpful!

You mean the reciprocity fee...

Reciprocity is missing nothing in meaning vis-a-vis retaliation, except sounding less nasty and more neutral/professional.
As such it is not at all a euphemism.

Back