Detroit Vs. Bsas

I stopped reading at "His policies are neoliberal" because I'm sure the next sentence would have been "he was born in Kenya".

I already had this discussion here several times.
I dont know how you people call market oriented policies, privatisation policies, washington consensus policies, laissez-faire policies, small state policies, not interventionist policies, no social plans policies, no inflation policies, and a large etc. I mean, there are a lot of measures taken by the governments around the globe, with the globalisation, that in a lot of countries are called neo-liberals, being born in 1970 after 40 years of keynesianism or state intervention (before that, from 1850 to 1930: liberalism).

Resuming, I dont know how you call this package of measures, I call it neoliberals.

I dont understand you? do you want me to back up every single sentence with a link? Why you mean by crack? Macri is not a narco, but he surely has relationship with them, as every politician in the world, I guess.

Relax Matias, just a feeble attempt at humour :)

In another thread I failed to include our scandalous mayor in a list of grievances about Toronto, because I wasn't certain people in BsAs would have heard about him. I got called out for it and was reminded that in this age of internet and global news channels, our civic shame was known far and wide. I'm actually grateful that you hadn't heard!

Never mind. I don't have any interest in going around in circles.

Hey Dublin,

Thanks for the good question, I didn't want to make my last post too long by going into the specifics, but since you asked...

No, I would never dislike anyone on ideological grounds. For example, while I do generally dislike Macri, there are things I do like: I think the recycling bins are a great idea, and I also am glad that alot of needed infrastructure work is getting done.

That said, the basic reason why I would rate the Macri administration as horrible is because they have had the largest budget in CABA history but have not only managed to cut vital services like education and hospitals, but have even managed to get the city into debt doing so.

Let me pick a few examples:

1. Subways: Macri has the dubious record of being the intendente that constructed the least KM of subway in his first term. So far in his second term he has finally made some improvements, but has only continued the work that was left unfinished by Ibarra in 2007. Previous administrations assumed the subte would have reached General Paz by 2012, instead Macri isnt even half way there. As I see it, this to me looks a lot like what Thatcher did to the railway system in the UK: 1st you defund it, so that 2nd people complain about and then3rd its easy to further privatisation. Through all of this you'll note the cost of a ride has tripled the rate of inflation, and the number of passengers has gone down by 20%.

2. Hospitals. Macri was elected on a promise to increase spending on hospital infrastructure by $1.2 billion. In fact he has done the opposite. He cut the city's healthcare infrastructure budget in half in 2008, and then in half again in 2010. Add on top of this that the medical staff barely gets paid a living wage. But what does Macri care, he goes to a private hospital because the public ones are in such rotten shape.

3. Education. In 2008 Macri vowed to triple education spending. Yet the PRO has actually reduced the amount actually being spent every year to the point where the CABA now spends half as much on school infrastructure as it did in 2008. The teachers striking last year were asking for $4500 for crissakes.

4. North vs South: It's nice to see alot of the infrastructure improvements that have been made: the idea of lining Cabildo with trees, the much needed train overpasses at Libertador... But the fact is you see these projects prominently in Palermo, Recoleta, Belgrano, etc. But if you go to Soldati, Barracas, Bajo Flores... there are people without sewers, no sidewalks, no flood protection. In BA there has always been a bias toward certain neighbourhoods, but under this government it is clearly getting worse, not better.

I would repeat with all of this, they have had the biggest budget (in real dollars) in history, so it's not a lack of funds; it's a lack of priorities. There are plenty of other examples I can give, but as I see it the Macri administration is a failure, and I can only hope they don't someday miraculously win the presidency.

Reactions: jp
The problem with crime in Buenos Aires is that the police are under paid, under staffed and fairly corrupt. Under payment = corruption in whichever police force in the world you want to look at. At 6000 per month, the majority will take a bribe. Simple.

At a minimum it should be double that and they should be looking at attracting college graduates for officer roles, but crime prevention is stigmatised here for a variety of reasons.

The police in Argentina are not "fairly corrupt." They are extremely corrupt.

Detroit has better music.

Or shall we bring Steve into the thread about Obama (no) care ? I have had great Pizza in Detroit. Is it better than BS AS ?

Grose Pointe is still one of the most expensive , exclusive areas in the USA. I have sailed and raced on Lake Huron. Very nice. And Canada is right across the border. Duty free booze and cigarettes. They even have HOCKEY !!! And great strip clubs !!

Why does every thread in this community have to do with politics ? Every politician in the world sucks. So what ? Macri ? Who cares !! Maybe he should go to Detroit to see what Bs As will be in a couple years. This place , Argentina , will never learn , how to be great again......

Detroit does not look so bad..........

The police in Argentina are not "fairly corrupt." They are extremely corrupt.

I've never been asked for a donation walking down the street here. In fact the police don't even notice me. Not so in other Latin American countries. However, I don't drive a car or own a business.

The Detroit/Buenos Aires parallel universe intensifies:

Motorist Beaten By Vigilante Mob Still In Critical Condition

A grainy, surveillance video from the gas station camera shows the boy, David Harris, with a group of friends as he steps from a curb into the truck's path Wednesday afternoon. Woody said investigators don't have video footage of the attack on Utash.
Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan said Friday that Utash did "the right thing by stopping to check on the boy" and that anyone who can identify his attackers should step forward.
"This senseless vigilante style attack is not the essence of who we are as Detroiters and will not be tolerated," Duggan said in a joint statement with City Council President Brenda Jones.

http://www.huffingto..._n_5096333.html

Back