Diet

I don't understand the question here...you would like to sustain yourself daily with nothing but beef and eggs?

Post in thread 'Looking for a job as an English teacher' https://baexpats.org/threads/looking-for-a-job-as-an-english-teacher.47729/post-453052

From health point of view (not form cost saving POV) ,,,

Roast beef, eggs, coffee and water.
Is this possible/doable tenacity wise?
Is this healthy?
Sustainable?
For how long?
Long term risk/studies?
Yes; yes; forever; yes, thousands

I'm sure Steve will fill you in on the details or point you to his many previous posts.

Yeah, you should see me. 😁

I won't answer for Steve. I'm not on Steve's diet, but in these last months I'm doing a very low carb diet most days. Some days I only eat eggs (sometimes as many as 12) and salads. And I take vitamins.

I take 3 blood pressure medications (in 2022 I had a triple bypass). Also cholesterol medication. Despite that, in March, I was feeling bad so I checked my pressure and it was 180/110. My doctor de cabacera didn't seem particularly alarmed, so I started walking and started a low carb diet. I've lost 16 kilos (35 pounds) and my pressure is usually low, sometimes it gets up to normal. My cholesterol is in the normal range.

It's not my first time with low carb dieting. I first did it 30 years ago after reading Protein Power. I lost all my excess weight and kept it off (until I moved here :rolleyes:). There's lots of variations of these diets, some more extreme than others. To get an idea if you don't know anything about them, you can read this. They work, but they're boring. I had a relapse week a couple weeks ago and binged on ice cream, snickers and kit kats, but I'm back on track now and lost the two kilos I gained.

I have a lot of respect for Steve and his discipline. I could never do that. But I'm going to try (finally) to make these changes permanent with few exceptions/holidays. If you've ever had coronary artery bypass surgery, you know you never want to have it again. If you haven't, I can tell you: you never want to have it once.

I've dabbled with this diet many times for quick fat loss. But you need green vegetables for Vitamin C. Brocolli / cabbage is delicious lightly pan fried in butter.

What makes it work in my case is that after 2 days I get really sick of beef and eggs and only want to eat when actually hungry. No more mindless snacking or eating from boredom or just because you like to eat while watching TV. Actually if I'm not hungry the idea or eating a big plate of beef and eggs makes me feel like throwing up. It might be 24 hours until I'm actually hungry and the meal becomes appealing again

I've never heard of this diet, but it would probably make a nutritionist go pale in the face.

Is it possible? Anything is possible. People in Haiti are eating pies made out of mud.

Is it healthy? Depends on your predispositions & current health state.

Eggs are high in cholesterol. Are you already at risk for heart disease?

Beef intake is highly correlated to colon cancer risks. Do you have genetic cancer markers in your family?

Where are you going to get your vitamins/minerals/antioxidants?

IMO, a balanced low carb diet with moderate exercise should be sufficient to lose whatever weight you want without resorting to such an extreme diet.

In the 90's I tried Atkins for almost a year but couldn't stand it any longer. Ever since no bread rice pasta potato..etc ,,, but all fruits and vegetables.
My meats 70% salmon/rainbow trout oyster and shrimp 25% meat 5% Texas chicken wings

Last edited:
Zero carb diet is perfectly sustainable in the long term. Some people did it for decades.

The only thing to keep in mind is to eat enough fat. If you eat only protein without enough fat you get protein toxicity with possible fatal consequences.

Back