Divorce Lawyer.

nlaruccia

Registered
I married and Argentine in 2002 when I was young and foolish. We moved to the States and married and divorced there. He stayed there and I returned here and we haven't spoken since 2003. I tried to find him on the internet to no avail. I went to the registro civil on Parana st. to find out if they would recognize the divorce in the States and grant me one in Buenos Aires but they said that's not an option. I will have to divorce here on grounds of abandonment since I don't have his DNI. I'm trying to find a divorce lawyer in Buenos Aires that can do this tramite for me. It shouldn't be complicated since my ex is no where in the world to be found. Sorry to bring up a sore subject for anybody that has gone through a divorce, but any recommendations on a lawyer would be really appreciated.

I don't have a specific lawyer to recommend, but in your situation it seems that a divorcio vincular (articulo 214 inciso 2 -> codigo civil) would apply since you don't see each other anymore. It's one of the most simple divorce it seems.

Thanks Frenchie. I believe you're right and that it's a simple procedure, but I think law requires a lawyer to make the divorce happen. I wish I could just go to registro civil and do it myself.

Unfortunately I don't know any divorce lawyers, but yes, you definitely need a lawyer to get divorced here. In general terms, you first have to go through a mandatory conciliation proceeding with a private mediator (which also requires a lawyer for the parties), and only if that fails can you go to court and file for divorce. As your ex is nowhere to be found, he will likely be held in default by the judge for not showing up at court, and then the tramite should go rather smoothly and quickly if all you want is to get divorced (as oppossed to claiming assets or money from him, for example). Good luck and all the best

PS: you should definitely consult with a lawyer specialized in international law regarding the effects of your divorce in the States. Don't take the word of the employees at the Registro Civil, they are not qualified and will say no to anything that does not ring the bell to them. An international law attorney will be able to analyze your case and tell you whether there is anything you can do to have the Arg authorities acknowledge your divorce and avoid the whole divorce procedure here. And even if there is indeed no way around the divorce, international law attorneys will be more qualified than regular divorce attorneys to draft the lawsuit and use the right arguments and legal grounds (as it will not be a standard divorce due to the international component). If you google "divorcios internacionales" you will get a list of several local law firms that deal with such cases.

The US Embassy site is a good source of information. USA Citizen services - A-Z guide - Lawyers

García, Consuelo
Talcahuano 736, piso 3º
(1013) Buenos Aires
Phone: (+54-11) 4773 4582
Mobile Phone: 15-4475-4998
Email: [email protected]
Languages: English, Spanish
Specialty: Foreign Marriages, Custody and Child Restitution, Divorce and Null and Void Marriages, International Adoption, Child Support/Alimony, Urgent Relief in a Foreign Venue, Gifts, Usufruct, Will and Testament, Asylum, Extradition, Contracts, Trademarks and Patents, Torts, Disputes relating to International Jurisdiction, Foreign Claims.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I don't think there's a need for a mediator. No one is able to find my ex-husband. I don't even know if he's in Argentina. An Argentine lawyer should be able to divorce me here. The US divorce is completely invalid here. Seems ridiculous to me, but maybe I should have posted this in the bureacracy thread. Hahaha.

The US Embassy site is a good source of information. USA Citizen services - A-Z guide - Lawyers

García, Consuelo
Talcahuano 736, piso 3º
(1013) Buenos Aires
Phone: (+54-11) 4773 4582
Mobile Phone: 15-4475-4998
Email: [email protected]
Languages: English, Spanish
Specialty: Foreign Marriages, Custody and Child Restitution, Divorce and Null and Void Marriages, International Adoption, Child Support/Alimony, Urgent Relief in a Foreign Venue, Gifts, Usufruct, Will and Testament, Asylum, Extradition, Contracts, Trademarks and Patents, Torts, Disputes relating to International Jurisdiction, Foreign Claims.

I just talked to Consuelo on the phone and she seemed very professional. She said she charges $700 la consulta. I've never consulted with a lawyer before and am not sure if $700 is the normal price for an interview.

Most laywers in Argentina don´t charge for the first interview BUT this is an international attorney and I am assuming is following US practice (where every minute counts) and is charging a bit higher than average.
My question is: Did you get married in Argentina or the the US? not clear from your post if you got married in both places. Also, why do you need a divorce here? Many people don´t get it because of the hassle.

I got married in both countries and divorced in the States. She said I don't need to get divorced in Argentina, but I do need to provide and apostilled divorce certificate and she'll do all the paperwork for the registro civil here to recognize the divorce. But $700 seems rather steep for just an interview. Maybe it's the going rate.

Back