Divorce Lawyer.

Did the lawyer say the consultation was 700 pesos? Or did she quote her fee of $700US for the work?

She said the consultation would cost $700 pesos. She didn't get around to telling me how much she charged for the work. She was anxious to get me in her office this week and even said if I couldn't pay the consultation I could pay her later in the week.

I called the lawyer and she won't tell me how much her fees ate. I have to first pay her $700 for a consultation. I'm not sure if that's nor al but it seemed like mala onda to me. Of course she should charge the consultation but to jot tell me her standard fees which could be anywhere from $1,000 to $5,000 prsos seems like engañoso to me.

It really pisses me off when people play games, one of my biggest pet peeves with this country is getting a straight answer. So much bullshit flying around. I would go to another lawyer who will be straight up with you.

It really pisses me off when people play games, one of my biggest pet peeves with this country is getting a straight answer. So much bullshit flying around. I would go to another lawyer who will be straight up with you.

I totally agree. That's why this lawyer just lost a potential client.

Most lawyers here will tell you how much a typical tramite will be--they also don´t want to loose their time talking to someone who freaks out when they hear the price. As it isn´t hourly based, they normally charge flat fees if everything progresses normally.
I think this is her way of saying "if you have to ask, then you can´t afford me".

I agree. That's why I thought it was strange for not to be able to give me an estimate. She was desperate for me to make an appointment to see her the next day and pay her $700 just to talk to her. Chanta.

I think this is her way of saying "if you have to ask, then you can´t afford me".
A terrible way to do business if that is how she thinks. Most likely it's part of her game of psychology whereby once you commit the $700 pesos you feel invested in her and accept her next price which will likely be exorbitant. I have found you get a way better response and even results in the long run when you are honest and straight forward - especially in business. Maybe Argentina is a different beast !!!

Exactly. She's a chanta. I speak castellano, but she tried to impress me with her English and to highlight the fact that she's always traveling to the States.

The US Embassy site is a good source of information. USA Citizen services - A-Z guide - Lawyers

García, Consuelo
Talcahuano 736, piso 3º
(1013) Buenos Aires
Phone: (+54-11) 4773 4582
Mobile Phone: 15-4475-4998
Email: [email protected]
Languages: English, Spanish
Specialty: Foreign Marriages, Custody and Child Restitution, Divorce and Null and Void Marriages, International Adoption, Child Support/Alimony, Urgent Relief in a Foreign Venue, Gifts, Usufruct, Will and Testament, Asylum, Extradition, Contracts, Trademarks and Patents, Torts, Disputes relating to International Jurisdiction, Foreign Claims.

"The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Buenos Aires assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the following persons or firms. Names are listed alphabetically, and their order in which they appear has no other significance."

I selected one of seven divorce lawyers/firms on the US Embassy website to post on this thread.

Let us know which one (if any) worked out. It's good for future reference. There will be others on this forum who need to hire an English-speaking lawyer for a divorce in Argentina. No one needs to waste time calling Consuelo Garcia.

Back