Divorce with USA

It's very romantic and all that if you sympathize with his politics, but ultimately I think the only thing that's happening is that he's committing a kind of citizenship suicide and the only person he's hurting is himself. If you despise the U.S. or not, it's inarguable that a U.S. passport is a pretty powerful document to have that only a fool would give up. Use the privileges you have as a U.S. citizen to help bring about the changes you desire. Travel freely. Protest. Vote.

So it's possible that this guy is actually following my advice and the privileges that come along with being a U.S. citizen that he is using to try to change the things he doesn't like about the U.S. is this act itself--renouncing his citizenship. This is his grand protest. Possible. But it seems more like he's just trying to feed his ego, show how cool he is to his friends.

I can't help but think that he's sure going to wish that he had an American passport some day, though.

He's an idiot. There is nothing romantic about being stupid. It is an empty, useless, and self-destructive gesture. At least it's the sort of silly thing that doesn't hurt anybody but the idiot doing it. Besides, Bratislava, for chrissakes!

This is probably not the reason for the action taken but I've heard that US tax laws are one of the most strict in the world, I could be wrong but I thought I heard that as a US citizen,
that if you fail to lodge your tax return on time & you are overseas, that you could be arrested as soon as you land back in US soil. Apparently some US citizens have been handcuffed on arrival after being away overseas for years without being aware of the crime committed. Is this true?

Sheesh...atleast wait till you aquire another citizenship. U.S.A isn't the end all be all of citizenships. Pretty sure Slovakia is part of the E.U. Thats really all u need.

Italia311 said:
Sheesh...atleast wait till you aquire another citizenship. U.S.A isn't the end all be all of citizenships. Pretty sure Slovakia is part of the E.U. Thats really all u need.

He has NO other citizenship. He is a person without a state & frankly that is pretty stupid. You are right, he should have waited to get another nationality first.

Yeah I realize he has no other citizenship. I'm just saying, if he wanted to give up the American one he should have had a backup

I know lots of people who renounced citizenship to avoid military service, but all of them held dual nationality. Was just a case of surrendering their claim when they time came for them to serve.

To make a political point? Seems extreme, but its his perogative. Might have been an idea to get citizenship somewhere else first though. Unless he plans to avoid national borders for the rest of his life.

Italia311 said:
Yeah I realize he has no other citizenship. I'm just saying, if he wanted to give up the American one he should have had a backup

I was agreeing with you. :)

I don't care to live in the USA, but I would say that my US citizenship is my most valuable resource. (If that's the right way of saying it.)

Anywhere in the world, if a smoking hot, rich, brilliant, funny, creative, intellectually curious, athletic, caring, considerate woman is willing to put up with a guy like me so that she can have permanent legal access to the USA, I'm totally game. Why would someone take such a valuable commodity and flush it down the toilet?

Incontheivable!!

Back