DNI for foreigners travelling within LATAM

Lanick

Registered
Hello people,

Is the DNI we hold as foreigners good to travel within latam without a passport or just limited to a few countries or there’s no such thing?

Thanks

To travel overseas to Mercosur countries a passport is not needed .IMHO

your country entry is based on your nationality. not if you hold a DNI.

i made this mistake previously trying to enter brazil some years back. i had a DNI, but at the time brazil required a visa for US citizens. i didn't have that, so i was denied.

your country entry is based on your nationality. not if you hold a DNI.

i made this mistake previously trying to enter brazil some years back. i had a DNI, but at the time brazil required a visa for US citizens. i didn't have that, so i was denied.
Was it a Permanent resident DNI or temporary resident DNI? It make a difference for Mercosur countries. Colombia accepts permanent DNI extranjero as a valid entry document regardless of your nationality, but not a temporary one ( reference: personal experience ). I entered Brazil by land with a temporary resident DNI 6 years ago and wasn't denied entry or asked for a passport/visa. I asked immigrations agent in Ezeiza 2 weeks ago if a permanent resident DNI is sufficient for flying to Brazil and was told 'absolutely and regardless of your nationality, if you enter from Argentina'. Now if you enter from your country of origin it might be a different story, as you might be obligated to enter as this country national?

I was once not allowed to board a Buequebus to Uruguay when I had only my DNI and no passport
That is impossible since I did that trip many times with a DNI only. Not saying you are giving wrong info though, but the officer may not know the rule as it happened once to me that he had to ask his boss whether I could travel with a DNI only and then I was on my way to Colonia.

That is impossible since I did that trip many times with a DNI only. Not saying you are giving wrong info though, but the officer may not know the rule as it happened once to me that he had to ask his boss whether I could travel with a DNI only and then I was on my way to Colonia.THAT

Back