Do fears of crime in Argentina reflect reality?

Betty
Who you believe is up to you, but the locals will always urge you towards caution. It does them no good when a tourist or other visitor is attacked.
My friends who live out in Pilar live in almost fortress conditions, nothing has ever happened. Is this because of the high fence and dogs? I don't know.
As you have found so far, if you take care, you will be reasonably safe. For me the so called "safe areas" are just magnets for the ladrones. Stand out in Florida or Recoletta and someone WILL rifle your pockets or your bag. This is a given. But dress down and walk quietly in the so called dangerous areas and you will be ignored. This is just common sense, not something particular to BsAs.
We did not meet, but you sound as if you have your head screwed on, so carry on as you have, enjoy the city, and when the locals tell you to guard your bag, smile and thank them for their concern.
Enjoy the city use caution, but do not live in fear.

Joe said:
Since BA does not have any African population then by BigBadWolf's logic there must not be any crime problem here.

I lived in Thailand that had similar problems with crime and it also did not have a black population.

It seems to me the leading causes of crime are poverty, drugs and corruption. And corruption is the leading cause of poverty. Is there a country in the world with low corruption rates that is NOT rich...

How about "violent crime?" Not purse-snatching or how corrupt the local bureaucrats are.

My two cents - I've been coming here since '04 and moved down full-time in '07. It *is* less safe than it once was. I know quite a few people who were victims of crimes - 2 people I know were stabbed (luckily not seriously) during muggings and multiple people I know have been robbed.

I take more precautions than I used to (I don't walk alone any more at night) but in general, I think BsAs is roughly the safe as any major city and as long as you take the normal precautions, you will probably be okay.

I used to think the porteños were being hystericos with their obsession about crime and how dangerous it is. And I still think it's a trifle exaggerated by the media. But having heard most of my friends' stories about how they or someone they know was a victim of a crime, I understand the fear a lot more now.

bigbadwolf said:
How about "violent crime?" Not purse-snatching or how corrupt the local bureaucrats are.

I think that this cuts to the heart of the matter. I could care less if someone steals my purse with a lipstick, comb and a small bit of money. It is violent crime that I worry about and I don´t think that I am alone in my thinking.

BlahBlah said:
And I just wanted to say that expats can leave once they feel threatend by crime, that is a luxury that most Argentines don't have, and that's why they are in a different position

Not necessarily so. If a person burned their bridges in the States or wherever they come from they might not be able to go back. For example, people who bought inexpensive apartments in Buenos Aires in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 might not be able to afford to buy a similar apartment or home if they do want to leave. Real estate has gotten so expensive in certain areas that frankly, I do know of a few people who would leave BA if they could afford to.

Recoleta Carolina said:
Not necessarily so. If a person burned their bridges in the States or wherever they come from they might not be able to go back. For example, people who bought inexpensive apartments in Buenos Aires in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 might not be able to afford to buy a similar apartment or home if they do want to leave. Real estate has gotten so expensive in certain areas that frankly, I do know of a few people who would leave BA if they could afford to.

Actually the price of real estate in most places around the world is falling, in many cases significantly. Mortgage interest rates in the U.S. are currently at very low levels. Those in the U.S. with a down payment and good credit rating will find they can buy a home at prices 40 or 50 percent less (or more)than than 2 or 3 years ago.

The real stumbling block for many who may wish to return is their inability to unload property purchased in Argentina. Things have slowed down according to reports I read sales are off around 40% here. Those wanting to return now are going to have to be patient and wait until the market recovers or be willing to discount their asking prices.

gouchobob said:
Mortgage interest rates in the U.S. are currently at very low levels. Those in the U.S. with a down payment and good credit rating will find they can buy a home at prices 40 or 50 percent less (or more)than than 2 or 3 years ago.

Nonetheless Carolina makes a relevant point. The problem may be -- as you've indicated -- that people can either not sell their BsAs place or that they don't want to trade the frying pan for the fire (the US property market, and US economic conditions generally, are looking very dicey at the moment). The point is: Where to leave for? Until a viable alternative becomes available or conditions stabilise in the USA (and Europe), expats remain wedded to Argentina whether they like it or not.

I've never felt seriously threatened in the streets of Recloeta, but I am careful...I'm also 6'2"/195lbs and walk like I know where I'm going and have a reason to get there. I almost always wear jeans and don't project an image of wealth. I am occasionally asked for directions in Spanish and usually can give them. If I don't know I just give the typical Latin American shrug and say "no se."

I'll report back about my fear of crime in Belgrano after I've lived there a while. Of course crime can happen anywhere, but I believe that living on the "river side" of linea D of the subte is the best bet, at least until you reach the edge of Recoleta. At that point living on the "river side" of Av Santa Fe is probably safer, and staying away from 9 de Julio is also advisable. I rarely use any of the other subte lines and usually stay away from the neighborhoods they serve. There are areas on the opposite side of linea D in Belgrano that I also find desirable and believe to be relatively safe.

I have no intention whatsoever of returning to the US to live. Having my pocket picked in BA probably won't change that if and when it does happen.

gouchobob said:
Actually the price of real estate in most places around the world is falling, in many cases significantly. Mortgage interest rates in the U.S. are currently at very low levels. Those in the U.S. with a down payment and good credit rating will find they can buy a home at prices 40 or 50 percent less (or more)than than 2 or 3 years ago.

The real stumbling block for many who may wish to return is their inability to unload property purchased in Argentina. Things have slowed down according to reports I read sales are off around 40% here. Those wanting to return now are going to have to be patient and wait until the market recovers or be willing to discount their asking prices.

Gauchobob,

Yes and No. As I mentionned in my initial post it really depends on the location. Someone who gave up their apartment/home in areas like New York, San Francisco, Orange County, Paris, London, etc., etc., in 2003 would never be able to buy in those areas at today´s prices. Even though you are correct that prices have come down 20-50% depending on location. Clearly, if we are talking about less popular areas you are right. But, this thread really is about crime in Buenos Aires. It might be interesting to start a different thread regarding global real estate prices.

Gouchobob,

I should have stated that if you have really deep pockets the price of real estate anywhere doesn´t matter.

My point was more directed towards people on a budget who had sold at a certain time and bought in BA during that same time period.

Back