Do fears of crime in Argentina reflect reality?

Recoleta Carolina said:
Gauchobob,

Yes and No. As I mentionned in my initial post it really depends on the location. Someone who gave up their apartment/home in areas like New York, San Francisco, Orange County, Paris, London, etc., etc., in 2003 would never be able to buy in those areas at today´s prices. Even though you are correct that prices have come down 20-50% depending on location. Clearly, if we are talking about less popular areas you are right. But, this thread really is about crime in Buenos Aires. It might be interesting to start a different thread regarding global real estate prices.

Well we are getting very far off the topic. I'll share this and then shut-up. In the article linked below indicates in some parts of So. Cal prices are back to 1989 levels, overall the market is back to 2002 levels. Given the low interest rates currently available it would be possible to move back, buy the same house, and have lower payments than in 2002. The areas that saw the biggest runup in prices are now taking the biggest hit.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-cheaphomes10-2009jun10,0,4802553.story?ref=patrick.net

Recoleta Carolina said:
Not necessarily so. If a person burned their bridges in the States or wherever they come from they might not be able to go back. For example, people who bought inexpensive apartments in Buenos Aires in 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 might not be able to afford to buy a similar apartment or home if they do want to leave. Real estate has gotten so expensive in certain areas that frankly, I do know of a few people who would leave BA if they could afford to.

I was talking about expats in there right mind not stupid ones who invest without thinking first in a third world country and without a backup plan. The good part is that they probally blend in well with the Argentines

Having said that

1) You can sell off if you go low enough.
2) Expenses and maintaining an appartement is a fraction of what you can earn in your home country
3) You can rent it out
4) You can rent a place in your home country untill your appartment sells

This all just BS, every expat can leave within a reasonable timeframe, this is not an option for most Argentines and that's why they suffer more in a more dangerous country

gouchobob said:
The real stumbling block for many who may wish to return is their inability to unload property purchased in Argentina. Things have slowed down according to reports I read sales are off around 40% here. Those wanting to return now are going to have to be patient and wait until the market recovers or be willing to discount their asking prices.

It has never been easy to sell in Argentina and with rents of around .5% a month it's never a good idea to buy if you want flexibilty

BlahBlah said:
The good part is that they probally blend in well with the Argentines

Well, that reminds mi a dialog from "My cousin Vinny" when this lawyer guy from Brooklin and his Marisa Tomei girlfriend just arrived to Alabama.

-- You stick out like a sore thumb around here.
-- Me? What about you?
-- I fit in better than you. At least I'm wearing cowboy boots.
-- Oh yeah, you blend.

It would be a good topic, actually :) .

I asked one of my language exchange partners if she had ever been a victim of crime. Unfortunately the answer was yes. First she was mugged when walking home with a male friend and had a piece of broken glass put to her throat. Second her boyfriend's car was carjacked when she was in it, fortunately she was allowed to get out... She had a gun pointed at her. This to me qualifies as violent crime - life threatening crime.

I passed a car the other day that had a sign in the winshield "No tengo estereo".

How often have you tried to enter a shop in the middle of the day that was locked and you have to wait for the owner to open the door. I went to a bakery yesterday that had it's doors locked!

I guess some of you think that the locals are just a bunch of nervous nellies.

Of course maybe they should be nervous if they or their family member has had a broken piece of glass put to their throats or a gun pointed at them, or in my friend's case both...

Of course, I forgot, violent crime only happens here.

A relative came back to the UK because of fears of crime in Johanasburg on his very first day in London he was attacked and had his Laptop case (empty ha) stolen. He spent a month in hospital with a fractured skull.
The moral being, it can happen anywhere, usually the minute you let your guard down.
As I keep saying, keep your guard up and stay safe. But please, in the world scheme of things Buenos Aires is not a dangerous place.

I think there is a reality check that needs to go on with some of the of the posts here...crime is an issue here and a big one! 9 or 10 police officers killed since the first of the year! Under age thugs that get away with this because the law won't prosecute under age killers and/or thieves. It used to be petty crimes...but now more and more people are getting shot for a few pesos.

The government is ignoring it all...the Presedenta even made a comment that all the crime was just political...give me a break!!!

I am not new to BA and have seen the increase in crime and also the increase in fear in the locals...our family members telling us to not go here ..not go there...watch your back...lock your doors...no one will smile or look at you on the train, bus, walking down the street..very sad indeed! Seems to me all the fences everyone has around their homes are almost like mini prisions...the bad guys are winning.

I feel for the locals this is a hard time with inflation going up on a daily basis....yes expats have it better....we do have an out if we want it...

Reactions: Joe
EvergreenGal said:
The government is ignoring it all...the Presedenta even made a comment that all the crime was just political...give me a break!!!

The sad thing is when the progressive political forces ignore crime it leaves an opening for the right wing extremists to come in.

Progressive elements become apologists for rising crime out of some weird sense of political correctness - they do not want to further persecute the poor by cracking down on crime, when it is sadly the poor that are the main victims of violent crime.

Again - It is perspective, and as tangobob says, it can happen anywhere.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0618/killarney.html
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0618/joycet.html
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0618/templemore.html

Those are links to three news stories from RTE - The Irish news service, and all from today - Three murders in the country, 1/3 rd the size of Buenos Aires in population, and all on the same day - And please, before anyone says it - These are nothing to do with theTroubles we had in the latter part of the last century -

All I am trying to point out is that Violent crime takes place everywhere, and as TB says - Its is a matter of being on guard, and being aware of your surroundings. I take nothing away from the victims of crime - anywhere - it must be terrible - But the real point here is that Buenos Aires is no safer, or no more dangerous than virtually anywhere in the world these days - A sad reflection on what the world has become....

Back