Do Not Forget, Wednesday October 27, National Holiday for Census

OK - I just did it. It's pretty simple. They came to my apartment door, which I was a bit surprised at, as I don't know how they got in the main building! But, there you go, I was expecting to go downstairs just because I didn't want them near the flat.

Anyway, I had a young lady come around, I just gave my first name and that was cool. I didn't know the answers to some of the questions, so she just made it up.
Looks like the final results will be pretty accurate, eh!

Anyway, from my experience, no need to stress.

My censusing was quite civilized as well.

The portero called me when it was my turn & off I went. They had several tables set up in my lobbly & we sat down & did the interview. Funny questions though - what materials are your floors? how many people slept in your apt last night, do you have a cellphone, etc.

It only took about 10 minutes and I got my sticker. :D

Yeah, that was pretty painless

Suprised they didn't take surnames. At the end of my census, they knew a little bit about my flat, and that we are both literate and use computers.

Can't see the value of this survey at all.

Oh - I didn't get a sticker! What's all that about?
By the way (not that it matters) there are two versions of the census, a short one and a long one. Supposedly nearly everyone will be getting the short one, but I got the long one, along with questions about whether I had African roots (is it because I's black?) and other useless stuff that prolonged the experience somewhat.

We did the Census a few minutes ago. My roommate & I.

Questions:

Where were we born?

He's got dual citizenship and yet they never even asked about his citizenship status. ONLY Where he was born. This seemed a bit strange to me. It still does. They only asked me where I was born also.

They asked our education level.

They asked whether we had worked AT LEAST ONE HOUR in the past week. Not whether we were legal to work (because we already answered where we were born).

They asked all kinds of questions that I thought had nothing to do with home many people lived in the house.

They wanted to know HOW MANY ROOMS were in the apartment.

Did we have a land line? Cell phone?

Did we have a computer?

Can we read & write?

The girl is a medical student, could use an English teacher, but didn't have time with her studies. She's studying Forensics, which told me (1) She's been watching too many American CSI & L&A episodes OR (2) She wants her patients to already be dead so that she can't kill them.

But it was kind of neat. I wonder if I can get a work visa and/or citizenship now that I've been counted in the Census. Hmmmmm...

Yep - They just called here in the Province. Same questions, obviously, and very quick, fewer questions than in the last Irish Census I took part in.

Question... Given that the Irish Census will take place next year (usually census is taken in years ending in a 1 - and will be in Ireland next year) - If I am home next year, will I be counted twice in the World Population Data?

Liam3494 said:
Yep - They just called here in the Province. Same questions, obviously, and very quick, fewer questions than in the last Irish Census I took part in.

Question... Given that the Irish Census will take place next year (usually census is taken in years ending in a 1 - and will be in Ireland next year) - If I am home next year, will I be counted twice in the World Population Data?

Liam, Ive never been at home for a census so I´m interested to know if they ask questions like "Do you have ceilings" and "what are your floors made of"....I guess the Irish (traveller akin) equivalent would be "Does your domicile have wheels?"...

Back