Do they sell real Christmas trees?

tangobob said:
Silent night it aint, with all the fireworks it's more Bayrut than Bethlehem.
Too hot to bake, but isn't it nice to sit out in the sun. Leave your pre concieved ideas behind or what is the point of travel?

No one is asking you what you personally believe about Christmas. So, get off your soap box Bob and try to answer the lady's questions which are real (she obviously is planning for a religious holiday with decorations that remind her of Christmas).

The OP's initial question is about the SPIRIT of Christmas not whether you think Christmas trees have anything to do with Christ.

If you want to preach take your soap box and stand on a corner. Nobody has to leave their ideas behind. And, obviously, you haven't either.

nledec said:
I'm moving with my family to Buenos Aires soon. I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible so I've been trying to find out about Christmas supplies in Argentina. That is to say, are real (non-artificial) Christmas trees available for purchase in Buenos Aires for the holidays? Or are only artificial Christmas trees available? If it is only artificial trees, how is there quality?

Christmas is different in Buenos Aires. Largely because of the weather. I agree with the suggestion to bring your own ornaments, if possible.

You will find beautiful Christmas decorations that will put you in the spirit of Christmas at hotels and shopping malls such as Patio Bullrich on Posadas in Recoleta and Galerias Pacificas on Florida Street. Actually, I find the decorations quite beautiful. And, I think you will too. They are older and more elegant than what is currently being displayed in the States.

As someone mentionned -- it is not silent night. It is not like home. But, you will be with your family and I think that makes a big difference.

Recoleta Carolina said:
No one is asking you what you personally believe about Christmas. So, get off your soap box Bob and try to answer the lady's questions which are real (she obviously is planning for a religious holiday with decorations that remind her of Christmas).

The OP's initial question is about the SPIRIT of Christmas not whether you think Christmas trees have anything to do with Christ.

If you want to preach take your soap box and stand on a corner. Nobody has to leave their ideas behind. And, obviously, you haven't either.

My response was not to the original poster, that is true. My response was to those who came straight in and said how much they hate it here.

As to my answer in regard to trees, I was mearly pointing to why trees are rare here, anyone who takes the trouble to know me will realise I have no religious soap box, I am simply stating history. Most of what we think of as religious celebrations are in fact more related to the pagan Yuletide. This is the fun side of Christmas that children in the northern hemiphere love, I do not doubt it, but please, do not tell me that because the Argentines celebrate in a different way that somehow it is dull and boring.

tangobob said:
My response was not to the original poster, that is true. My response was to those who came straight in and said how much they hate it here.

As to my answer in regard to trees, I was mearly pointing to why trees are rare here, anyone who takes the trouble to know me will realise I have no religious soap box, I am simply stating history. Most of what we think of as religious celebrations are in fact more related to the pagan Yuletide. This is the fun side of Christmas that children in the northern hemiphere love, I do not doubt it, but please, do not tell me that because the Argentines celebrate in a different way that somehow it is dull and boring.

Give it up soap box Bob. All of your remarks were discreetly aimed at putting down Christmas. Read all of your own posts. At any rate, nowhere do you see me say that Christmas in Argentina is dull and boring. The only person saying that is you! If you are going to quote me at least be smart enough to get it right!

desertrose said:
Totally agree with Napoleon. Xmas in Argentina NEVER again, it just does not feel right. I managed to find a few real trees in Tigre (pretty expensive, rather small and not all that great), the big supermarkets have a huge selection of artificial ones.

Recoleta, I never said, YOU said Christmas was dull and boring, I was answering this post and the one before, please read all the posts before attacking me and turning another thread onto a slanging match as YOU said "If you are going to quote me at least be smart enough to get it right!"
If you read the whole thread, not just one bit, you will see that I was being upbeat, "silent night it aint more Bayrut than bethlehem" again was in a response, I love the way the go crazy at midnight.
Criticise what I say, by all means, I give it out so I expect to get it back, but never include me with those who constantly put this place down. If my meaning was misunderstood then I apologise, but as I said you need to read the whole thread.

I figured that the OP must be a big fan of Christmas if a tree is a concern before a big move so I wanted to share my purely subjective feeling about the way of celebrating here. I personally hate the way they go crazy at midnight and that the religious aspect gets largely lost. I never meant to put this place down. I love BsAs 364 days a year but last Christmas, for me, Argentina was the Grinch. This year I am going to spend the holiday in winter wonderland again y listo.

xmas here.... last year we fled back to the UK for reassuring freezing temperatures, eternal night and bone chilling excursions outside the comfort of the house. BA seemed distinctly un-xmassy beforehand, a few lights hung mournfully from apartment blocks, token efforts to appear holidayish.

Xmas for us works best as a pagan mid-winter celebration against the miserable climate. "We've got loads of food, fuel for the fire, all our friends and family are around so yah boo". Its a good celebration of resistance against an otherwise horrible time of year. Doesn't really work the same way here, different rules apply but looking forward to spending out first xmas here this year...

Desertrose and JP I hear what you are saying, it is definitely each to his own. Personally I would swap English winter for the heat anyday, ufortunately work commitments and the ridiculous airfares at Christmas keep me in the UK.
I get jealous of those who can spend more time than me here and upset when they knock the place. So whatever your religion or lack of it "enjoy"

I spend the last 6 christmasses in BA and I loved it! Not many christmastrees, no christmaslights, but then what is a christmastree with lights when the sun is shining until late in the evening? There is absolutely no need to put the lights on! And with the heat I can easily do without the gluwhein too! I think you adapt easily to a christmass in the sun!
When I move this winter I will bring my tree, but wether I will go through the fuss of putting it out is stil the question... :)

And with the heat I can easily do without the gluwhein too!

I love mulled wine at xmas, but don't give too much to tangobob or he will fall off his soap box. ;)

Back