Dollars as a tourist

sinagua980 said:
Same happened to me as PhilipDT says. I had an ATM receipt, but that doesn't work.

You have to first purchase the pesos (with dollars) here in Argentina, keep that receipt (comprobante), then you can change the remaining pesos back into dollars with the receipt at only a few select places (the one in Alto Palermo mall near Lindt chocolates used to do it).

This was back in January, so I have no idea what's possible now!

Somebody else tried recently with a ATM receipt to change pesos with Dollars?

I believe with a receipt from a Casa de Cambio, it may work, for small amounts under 500 dollars.... for returning tourists..!!

solerboy said:
I know of some clients of mine (tourists) who were able (very much to my surprise) to change pesos to dollars in one of the main Casas de Cambio in Florida (the shopping street, not the US State) two weeks ago.

At what rate? At official casa de cambios?

solerboy said:
I know of some clients of mine (tourists) who were able (very much to my surprise) to change pesos to dollars in one of the main Casas de Cambio in Florida (the shopping street, not the US State) two weeks ago.

With an ATM receipt or Casa de Cambio...?

El chabon said:
At what rate? At official casa de cambios?

Yes, they said they bought dollars at $4.60.

This was one of the touristy type Casas de Cambio in Florida. They told me the name but I cant remember.

They had been quoted ar$5.50 to the dollar by a landlord and prefered to seek out dollars. I was shocked I have to admit.

Tell your landlord you either pay 5,50 for the dollar or pay your rent in pesos.

Rich One said:
I believe with a receipt from a Casa de Cambio, it may work, for small amounts under 500 dollars.... for returning tourists..!!

"May work" is right. It's better not to buy too many pesos. From January to March at least, other visitors posted on TA that even though "Banco de la Nacion" at EZE had told them to present their peso-purchase receipts from that branch on their way out of Argentina, when they flew home a week later, "Nacion" renegued on its promise and refused to exhange their leftover pesos for foreign currency. No reason given.

I was instructed to keep my receipt too last but I spent all the pesos Nacion had sold me. So I didn't get to test it personally.

I don't know how foreign visitors are faring now.

El chabon said:
Somebody else tried recently with a ATM receipt to change pesos with Dollars?

Yes, I did try to buy Reais with ATM receipts last week at EZE... it does'nt work. A comprobante from a bank or a casa de cambio was needed.

I ended up changing Dollar into Peso and then with that receipt into Reais. Of course they will charge you twice... Got about 150 Reais out of 100 USD (as opposed to 200 Reais I got in Rio).

Back