Dollars in Uruguay?

Can you use dollars in Colonia? We are only going to be there one afternoon and would love to not have to own too much Uruguayan money. ARS is bad enough.
I don't think so....but I only go to Montevideo. I would first ask wherever you plan to make the expenditure. Alternatives are to pay with a foreign debit and/or credit card or get a cash advance in UY pesos at the Colonia ATM's.

Can you use dollars in Colonia? We are only going to be there one afternoon and would love to not have to own too much Uruguayan money. ARS is bad enough.
Last time I went there (over a year ago) nearly all the businesses accepted AR$ at their own disadvantageous exchange rate. I took UR$ from an ATM (charges were way less than the equivalent ATMs in BsAs) to spend while I was there but actually ended up also spending some AR$ to buy last-minute things. I don't know about US$.

If you go to La Pasiva resto in Main street Colonia , the bill comes expressed in US Dollars, Ars pesos, reals and Uy pesos. The rates who knows? If you pay cash in US or other currency the change will come i pesos UY.

Most stores take dollars. Ask to exchange them "a la media": mid point between buy and sell prices. That's the exchange rate used by Uruguayans among themselves.

They also take credit cards - convenient and fair rates.

Back