Dollars To Pesos

Can one just go into any BA bank and exchange dollars to pesos?

Here are articles with the latest information:

http://www.thebubble.com/foreigners-and-dollar-earners-beware-no-end-in-sight-for-overvalued-peso/

http://www.thebubble.com/goodbye-cuevas-argentinas-hotels-travel-agencies-can-exchange-dollars/

Right now, its pretty close.
For years, it was much better to go to a cueva, but now, its close to equal.
But a cueva is private, convenient, and mine has virtually no line.
For a thousand dollars or less, you do it at the window, but still you are in closed room that is locked and they buzz people in.
For more than that, you usually get a private room with the cueva guy.
I prefer it to going into a bank, myself.
Its faster, easier, and they know me.

Yeah, but, uhmm... its illegal! Way to go expats!!! You just showed how the the vast majority of human beings, given the chance, are crooked despite their race or nationality.

AdrianB1983:
No matter what country you 're a citizen of you just have to be joshing us.Or,at least,I hope so for your own sake.
Cuevas have existed in Argentina since there was inflation.I can remember them as far back as to my first visit in the mid-1960s.
Kristina didn't come down heavy on them with the traditional Peronist "pesdada" because they were allowed as a sop to the monied classes to turn a blind eye to all the other subsidies etc. she was throwing out to the "have nots" and "have less" for votes to keep her "relato" on going.
There's a good reason for the Spanish saying,"Hecha la ley,hecha la trampa".-There's a way around any law.
Anda a sermonear a Magoya,por favor.

Yeah, but, uhmm... its illegal! Way to go expats!!! You just showed how the the vast majority of human beings, given the chance, are crooked despite their race or nationality.

Not too sure that using a cueva is illegal at the moment.

Possibly irrregular but not illegal......

... as some have to be ignorant and arrogant. So what was your choice again?

I found a bank that exchanges dollars to pesos near me. It is the Super Vielle branch on Honduras and Juan Justo. only one person in front of me and just need a passport and dollars. no fees. The rate was 15.4 which i don't know if that is great but better than the hassle with ATMs here from what I hear. $200 cash in the USA would last me 6 months cause I use credit card everywhere....not here.

I found a bank that exchanges dollars to pesos near me. It is the Super Vielle branch on Honduras and Juan Justo. only one person in front of me and just need a passport and dollars. no fees. The rate was 15.4 which i don't know if that is great but better than the hassle with ATMs here from what I hear. $200 cash in the USA would last me 6 months cause I use credit card everywhere....not here.
Credit cards are working fine here. I checked the rate a few days ago and got 15.2 from Am Ex and visa.

T/

Yesssss, i'm one of them! legality in this country is optional, rules change to quick and to radically to stay on top of such details lol ;)

Credit cards are working fine here. I checked the rate a few days ago and got 15.2 from Am Ex and visa.

T/

But was there an foreign currently transaction fee and, if so, was it 15.2 after the fee?

Bob

i have just found that so many establishments don't take credit card...just cash pesos.

Back