Dove Hunting in Argentina?

GS_Dirtboy said:
The answer to that would be economics. The farmer (I grew up on a farm) works on a very thin margin. To have the farmer need to pay for and support this activity to the point of control can be a serious burden. Though we bird and deer-hunted on our farm we also leased out our land to other hunters. Those hunters get access to otherwise unavailable land as a recreation and we got paid to have animal control.

Yes, I enjoy hunting. It is something that I was raised with and is a part of my culture. We eat everything we kill. Often, as was the case when I bow-hunted the suburbs of Philadelphia, we killed so many deer that we paid to have the meat processed and given to the inner city churches and soup kitchens.

With all due respect to those who cannot fathom the idea of killing an animal and /or think we should leave the poor animals alone you really don't understand that it is the fees collected from hunting licenses that support wildlife management and protection programs. You also don't understand what happens to an animal population that is left alone with few/no natural predators. The deer population in Pennsylvania and Alabama (my home states) suffers from a serious inbalance in the buck-to-doe ratio (way too many does). This causes the entire herd to be much less healthy through over-breeding and starvation than if it is managed. It also is a direct contributor to the car/deer accident rate.

I completely get that it can be impossible to understand that some people kill animals for "sport." I hope you understand that there is a lot more to it than that. People from other cultures might have the same feeling about anything that you do or eat in your life. But you do those things because it is a part of your culture.

I understand the economics behind the situation, and it makes good business sense for the farmer/rancher to have other people pay to do the killing. But, I fail to understand why anyone with no interest in the farm/ranch would wake up in the morning and decide to go out and PAY to shoot animals. The farmer/rancher is the smart one.

I understand it needs to be done, but, people taking pleasure in it??????

Do those that work in the abattoir take pleasure in slaughtering calfs? Once again I would have to assume NO. They do it as employment because it needs to be done. One would surely question the mental state of people calling the abattoir asking to be able to pay to come slaughter cattle, no?

It has to be one of two things ( meaning why people would want to do it)

They take pleasure in shooting. If so, well then they could shoot at targets

They take pleasure in killing

Which one is it?

Once again, I am aware the animals have to be killed. This has nothing to do with that. This is about the type of person who likes to hunt, not for food, or survival, or the defense of his/her cattle/grain/etc but, someone who pays to go and do it.

Please enlighten me.

snowwhitebum said:
US citizens shoot dead 1000's of Eared Doves per day

Says it all really

The population of Eared Doves in Argentina and Paraguay have exploded beyond all estimates, because the chaco woodlands have been bull-dozed for soya crops. The doves breed in the 20 m.-wide strips which are suppposed to be (often not) left between fields. In the chaco Salteño, the sky actually turns black with the doves leaving and returning to these roosting/breeding sites. Shooting 1000's per day will make no difference to the population. Personally I don't see the fun in it, but I'm not complaining about shooting Eared Doves.

The serious damage is being done by the replacement of the monoculture and destruction of the native ecosystem. The government should be held accountable.

My previous point stands true, foreign hunters have no idea what they are shooting here most of the time.

snowwhitebum said:
I understand the economics behind the situation, and it makes good business sense for the farmer/rancher to have other people pay to do the killing. But, I fail to understand why anyone with no interest in the farm/ranch would wake up in the morning and decide to go out and PAY to shoot animals. The farmer/rancher is the smart one.

I understand it needs to be done, but, people taking pleasure in it??????

Do those that work in the abattoir take pleasure in slaughtering calfs? Once again I would have to assume NO. They do it as employment because it needs to be done. One would surely question the mental state of people calling the abattoir asking to be able to pay to come slaughter cattle, no?

Could you explain, in as much detail as you can, why its so wrong to take pleasure in killing animals? Right now your statements are designed to get the reader to feel ashamed if he or she takes pleasure in hunting.

I am actually wondering what the reason behind your assumptions is. You seem to already have concluded that everyone must agree with your stance that its sick and deranged to enjoy killing animals/birds etc.

I am not taking a stance either way (I don't hunt, never have but for reasons that have nothing to do with principle), by the way.

EDIT: Also to Markgeezer's point, I think if a species is endangered, then it should be protected and hunting should be limited in a way that it does not end up threatening other species etc. That's just my opinion. I won't think you crazy if you disagree with it. Afterall estimates suggest that 99% of species that ever walked the earth have gone extinct. But that's not the point of my post.

snowwhitebum said:
It has to be one of two things ( meaning why people would want to do it)

They take pleasure in shooting. If so, well then they could shoot at targets

They take pleasure in killing

Which one is it?

Once again, I am aware the animals have to be killed. This has nothing to do with that. This is about the type of person who likes to hunt, not for food, or survival, or the defense of his/her cattle/grain/etc but, someone who pays to go and do it.

Please enlighten me.

I think you need to examine the "which one is it" part of your question. That assumes that you know there are only two options, you already know what they are, and you have decided if they are good or bad. As I said in my previous post it is more multi-faceted than that. However, to even begin to have this conversation you must first understand that the things you do in your life are a function of your history. You didn't really choose those things. They came to you because of your parents, your friends, and their beliefs.

Let's take an example. I'm going to assume that you like dogs since you seem to have a love for all animals, yes? Ok, you don't eat dog, do you? I'm assuming the answer is no. Consider that if you were born and raised in Cambodia there is a very good chance that if I asked you if you ate dog you would say, "Of course! I can't imagine anyone not liking dog! It's delicious!"

I don't eat dogs. I raise them. But, I understand that if I were born into a different culture I would very much eat dog and enjoy it.

If you can't get this first part then nothing anyone can say about hunting willl make any difference to you understanding why they do it.

GS_Dirtboy said:
I think you need to examine the "which one is it" part of your question. That assumes that you know there are only two options, you already know what they are, and you have decided if they are good or bad. As I said in my previous post it is more multi-faceted than that. However, to even begin to have this conversation you must first understand that the things you do in your life are a function of your history. You didn't really choose those things. They came to you because of your parents, your friends, and their beliefs.

Let's take an example. I'm going to assume that you like dogs since you seem to have a love for all animals, yes? Ok, you don't eat dog, do you? I'm assuming the answer is no. Consider that if you were born and raised in Cambodia there is a very good chance that if I asked you if you ate dog you would say, "Of course! I can't imaging anyone not liking dog! It's delicious!"

I don't eat dogs. I raise them. But, I understand that if I were born into a different culture I would very much eat dog and enjoy it.

If you can't get this first part then nothing anyone can say about hunting willl make any difference to you.

Killing dogs as FOOD is fine with me

KILLING FOR FUN/PLEASURE?

I don't Give a f%#$ either way, I just question any man who takes pleasure in KILLING of any kind.

If you saw a pigeon with a broken wing and I went and stamped on it, would that be socially acceptable? NO, you would surely question my sanity.

snowwhitebum said:
Killing dogs as FOOD is fine with me

KILLING FOR FUN/PLEASURE?

I don't Give a f%#$ either way, I just question any man who takes pleasure in KILLING of any kind.

If you saw a pigeon with a broken wing and I went and stamped on it, would that be socially acceptable? NO, you would surely question my sanity.

A Buddhist monk might call into question your sanity too if you stomped on a cockroach in a monastery.

nicoenarg said:
A Buddhist monk might call into question your sanity too if you stomped on a cockroach in a monastery.

If I stamp on your head you might stoop taking the piss

snowwhitebum said:
If I stamp on your head you might stoop taking the piss

Was that an attempt at humor?

Taking the piss? I am serious. Keeping their beliefs in mind, Buddhist monks might look at you as if you were crazy if you killed a bug.

Back