Dove Hunting in Argentina?

Markgeezer said:
You don't even know what you are shooting then. Ostriches are African and there are no partridges in Argentina. Perhaps you mean rheas and tinamous or nothuras.

If you are shooting as much as you say, what are you doing with all that meat ?

Indiscrimate goose hunting in Buenos Aires province has almost brought the South American population of Ruddy-headed Goose to extinction, because people like you don't know how to identify what they are shootiing.

http://lac.wetlands.org/WHATWEDO/WetlandBiodiversityandWaterbirds/Cauqu%C3%A9ncolorado/tabid/1224/Default.aspx

oh boy is it just me or you're not only assuming, but also accusing me of not knowing what I shoot ? when you go to the zoo you call every single animal by it's scientific name as well ? I said ostrich because that is the official translation from "Avestruz" which is what people call them when they first see them in the field and I'm sure every single soul on this board understood what I was talking about, you see in Argentina people call them ñandúes and unfortunately my dictionary does not even list that word, now since you must know exactly 'american rheas' is what they are, the same thing with partridges... People call them Perdices which translates to partridge but their scientific name is Nothura Maculosa, now how many people would even know what I was talking about if I were to name them correctly?

You insist and punish my 'technical errors' and by the end of your post you blame people like me for near-exterminating the Ruddy-headed Goose in the 'province of Buenos Aires'? ... Well sir let me tell you that I couldn't have caused the near-extermination you mention since those birds are only found in the southernmost end of the continent (Tierra del fuego and Malvinas) and NEVER even flown past this wonderful sky.
-fun fact southern gray fox predation is the number 1 cause of the low number of ruddys-

Eclair said:
Yes, well poachers and people that just like to kill things are despicable. Those trophy or big game hunters that shoot caged animals or have guides take them to an unsuspecting animal aren't really hunting anything - just killing.

I was thinking more the along the lines of people like my uncle who live and hunt in the country. :) He enjoys hunting, but it's not because he's some kind of sociopath as was suggested.

There has been a strong movement over the past couple of decades in the hunting community called "Fair Chase." You can read the details on the web, but the bottom line is that this approach gives the animal freedom to escape, ie not hunted on fenced-in property, or crossing water, etc.

There is a spectrum of hunting styles. For instance, my grandfather and his generation hunted deer with dogs. They would let the dogs loose, the dogs would track and chase the deer, and the hunters would position themselves at choke-points where the deer run through. I never liked that and never took a shot at deer that were run by dogs. I did go with him because he loved it so much. It was his style.

In the middle are a lot of my generation who hunt from deer blinds or "houses." The hunters are invisible to the deer and just sit and wait for a deer to walk past and shoot (often) with a rifle. That's also not my style.

On the other end of the spectrum are hunters that stalk their prey. We literally move in the woods on the ground tracking and positioning ourselves to not be seen, heard, or smelled. The deer have an enormous advantage over us. One wrong move, or one errant wind, and we are spotted. To make it even more of a fair chase I hunt with a bow. This means that I must get within 30-45 yards of a deer, positioned perfectly, and be able to draw the bow and get a clean kill shot without being spotted.

Just a bit to understand how some of us think. I agree completely that shooting caged animals is irresponsible.

Back