Drivers Licence

Do I definitely need to secure an international drivers license to drive a rental car down here? I'm down here for a few months and hadn't planned on driving, but now I'm thinking of going on a road trip.

For what’s it’s worth, my experience regarding obtaining an Argentine Driver’s License was a breeze. I live in Pilar, so I went to the Driver’s License Office in Pilar first thing in the morning with my DNI, Cedula Verde (Auto Registration) and Proof of Insurance, filled out a Form, got my eyes examined, took (and passed) a written exam in Spanish, took (and passed) a driving test, got my picture taken, waited about 15 minutes, and walked out with my Argentine Licencia valid for 5 years. The whole process took less than 1 hour.

I would say that many Expats (myself included) are accustomed to definitive answers to straight forward and simple questions like:
Do I need a DNI to open a bank account?

I have been renewing my Visa for X years and now have over stayed my most recent Visa Stamp by Y days. Will that be a problem?

Since some of the immigration/visa regulations have apparently changed recently, is there a “grandfather clause” for Z situation?

As many I am sure already know, often times definitive answers to many simple questions do not exist here. The only advice is to get as much info as possible, like from this and other Forums as well as knowledgeable attorneys when possible/appropriate and don’t get too frustrated and don’t give up.

Having said that, I am still wondering if anyone has had experience obtaining the “New DNI” and/or the Cedula de Identidad? Saludos.

SFMike - I did not need/have an international drivers license when I rented a car down here. I used my NY license. I used their (Avis) insurance and everything was covered under that. Luckily I didn't need the insurance but better safe than sorry here.

I use my PADI diving licence after I lost my UK driving licence. It seems to baffle them enough to wave me on, even with the missing 'r'.

I have rented cars without an international license. I wouldn't worry about it.

jedard said:
Well I guess you can use your license from your own country. But then never attempt to drive another persons car without a
" Cedula de Identificacion Para Autorizado a Conducir" which is an authorization from the owner of the car for you to drive it. Even if the owner is with you, one must have this card. Or you get a nice fine or worse a huge bribe roadside.

This happened to my friend on the first night I was ever in Buenos Aires. What a great memory. The cop was courteous enough to not do the bribe in front of me...

Another one of those "recuerdos argentinos."

I will be in BA for 1 month. I will be driving my daughter's car. (she lives in BA). I have a current NJ license and I am reading conflicting info regarding the requirements for being able to drive in AR. with a foreign license. Does someone have a definitive answer ? Thanks you ...

I don't think you have a problem as a tourist driving with your driving license.

I have lived here for 4 years (driving at times) and have owned a car for more than 2 (driving about every day). I use my valid Texas driver's license. I was able to buy a car and get insurance with just my passport.

The truth is, if one is a resident, the rules are almost certainly different (at least after a time). But as a foreigner you should have no problem.

A friend of mine rented a car for a week to take his girlfriend and her kids to Mar del Plata. He used his Florida license and had no problem.

The other thing is, that it's unlikely you will get stopped. I have never been stopped in Buenos Aires. At times they set up checkpoints where they will occasionally pull over a car, but the police here are not allowed to come up to you in their car and pull you over to issue a traffic citation. it's unlikely you would ever interact with a cop and a car unless it is related to parking!

HOWEVER. Be careful to get permission (probably a "power", but i'm not sure) from your daughter that gives you permission to drive the car. If for some reaosn you did get stopped, you might have some problems with the fact that the car is not a rental car and you are not the person on the cedula verde.

The cedula verde is a laminated card that has the owner's information on it. From what Ii understand you have to be either listed on the CV or have a written power (probably legalized and everything) to be legal driving the car. I don't know what would happen if you actually got stopped by a roadside checkpoint though. Maybe some red tape while the found out you were allowed by your daughter to drive her car would be the worst i'd think.

wnewman7 said:
jedard et al,

How does this guy get a DNI in 40 days?

easy - he ask for a "Tramite Urgente". You can do it without any problems too if you speak well spanish. But if you have not done it you need to wait like 1 1/2 year :D

schef4711 said:
easy - he ask for a "Tramite Urgente". You can do it without any problems too if you speak well spanish. But if you have not done it you need to wait like 1 1/2 year :D

Not anymore. Even if you don't speak good Spanish the DNI process is now easy and fast (45-60 days for foreigners) and there is no need whatsoever for a lawyer.

I'm going to get a driver's license in the next few weeks. I'll post about the process once I have the license.

Back