Driver's License: The Certificado De Legalidad

I have a professional Argentine driver's license. American licenses aren't valid here if you have a DNI. You must get an Argentine one. I don't know why they're asking for a certificado de legalizacion. There's no canje with US driver's license, but there is with Spanish driver's license. You have to start from zero, but it's not hard. It is a subject that has been discussed at lengths in this forum. You have to take the theoretical exam and the practical exam and they give you a driver's license and voila.

This is great information! If you live in Ciudad Buenos Aires you will have to take the written and practical driving tests even if you have a valid foreign license. I understand they also ask for the "certificado de legalizacion" of your foreign license and if you don't have that (along with an unexpired license), you will have to present a certificate that you have attended a driving school in Argentina.

I went to the DL center in BA once and never returned. They would not accept my "expired but renewed by mail" US driver's license. It was much easier for me to get my DL in the Provincia Buenos Aires, but that was only possible after I actually moved to the Provincia and was able to prove it with a constancia de domicilio which I used to get my address changed in my DNI (I had no utility bills in my name at that point). My "expired" license (with a renewal sticker on the back) was accepted and I did not have to take the written or practical exams.

Lulu!, You indicated that you have a DNI but do you have permanent residency? As far as I know you can only get an Argentine DL if you have permanent residency.

If you do and you are going to take the written test, I will be happy to send you a copy of the "sample" theoretical test in Spanish with the answers highlighted as well as an English translation I made. Just send me an email address in a PM here.

This is great information! If you live in Ciudad Buenos Aires you will have to take the written and practical driving tests even if you have a valid foreign license. I understand they also ask for the "certificado de legalizacion" of your foreign license and if you don't have that (along with an unexpired license), you will have to present a certificate that you have attended a driving school in Argentina.

I went to the DL center in BA once and never returned. They would not accept my "expired but renewed by mail" US driver's license. It was much easier for me to get my DL in the Provincia Buenos Aires, but that was only possible after I actually moved to the Provincia and was able to prove it with a constancia de domicilio which I used to get my address changed in my DNI (I had no utility bills in my name at that point). My "expired" license (with a renewal sticker on the back) was accepted and I did not have to take the written or practical exams.

Lulu!, You indicated that you have a DNI but do you have permanent residency? As far as I know you can only get an Argentine DL if you have permanent residency.

If you do and you are going to take the written test, I will be happy to send you a copy of the "sample" theoretical test in Spanish with the answers highlighted as well as an English translation I made. Just send me an email address in a PM here.

You only have to attend a few classes at the driving school and the theoretical test is really easy. The only problem is that theoretically you're supposed to be able to take the test in English or Spanish, but the computers malfunction when you choose English. They one administering the tests gets pissed off at you because he has to reset everything because the English version doesn't work. I would just study it in Spanish. The driving test consists of maneuvering around a few cones, parallel parking, and driving backgrounds in a circle.

You only have to attend a few classes at the driving school and the theoretical test is really easy. The only problem is that theoretically you're supposed to be able to take the test in English or Spanish, but the computers malfunction when you choose English. They one administering the tests gets pissed off at you because he has to reset everything because the English version doesn't work. I would just study it in Spanish. The driving test consists of maneuvering around a few cones, parallel parking, and driving backgrounds in a circle.

I made the English translation of the test prior to moving to la provincia in 2010. At that time my Spanish wasn't nearly as "good" as it is now and I was very uncertain about being able to pass the test if the English version wasn't available.

I forgot to mention the vision and the psychological tests.

The vision test is exactly what you would expect.

The psychological test is amazingly simple, and I was quite surprised when I was told that once in a while someone actually fails it.

(It consists of copying a few line drawings.)

I have had an Argentine driving license for more than 30 yrs
I never thought it difficult at all I have to renew it every 4 yrs which is a joke but it is what it is
What if you merely say that this is your first license then maybe you won't be required to present anything from abroad
Good luck

When I got my Arg DL in Olivos , I did not need such a document. Of course that is in the province. Everything was easy. I took the test in Spanish , no problem. Just study a little. The psychological test was a trip. It really is only to tell if you can pay attention to the roads and driving. The guy giving the test spoke english. Which I found ironic.

great, thank you all so much. Yes, wish i could temporarily move to the province for this one.

I do have permanent residency but it sounds like this certificado thing is a bit of a red herring!

I had thought processing the documents this way would allow me to avoid some of the restrictions placed on a beginner's license, and a few folks I know who work in the world of Argentine tramites indicated to me that the certificado was not an added step of translation and notarization but an actual document that is distributed at DMVs//similar offices in Europe; they suggested that it allowed me to get the license quicker and jump some of the added requirements and limitations to getting a "Beginner's" license here--thought it might be worth checking out since I am headed to the US for the holidays. Sounds like it is not the case, thanks for saving me an afternoon at the DMV. !!

I have had an Argentine driving license for more than 30 yrs
I never thought it difficult at all I have to renew it every 4 yrs which is a joke but it is what it is
What if you merely say that this is your first license then maybe you won't be required to present anything from abroad
Good luck

If it's your first license you won't have to present anything from abroad but you will need the certificate from the driving school, even if it's just a "few" classes, and, as lulu! just posted, there apparently are some "restrictions" on a "beginner's" license. It would be interesting to know what they are.

PS: My first Argentine driver's license (issued in 2010) is valid for five years.

They ask for that paper when you do not want to get a beginners license. For my husband it was going to be a crazy adventure getting the certificado de legalidad from the US, so he just took the test, got an Arg license and that was it. In the event that you get that certificado, it has to be translated and apostilled, it is a royal pain. I can advice

My husband used his US drivers license even though he had a DNI, he would just take his passport when driving, along with the US license - he finally got the Arg license when he forgot to renew his US one lol! -

As a side note, I can tell you that when you travel to the US and rent a car, you get much cheaper rates as an Arg resident with your Arg license :)

I will be happy to send you a copy of the "sample" theoretical test in Spanish with the answers highlighted as well as an English translation I made. Just send me an email address in a PM here.

I have yet to get my drivers license here. Steve in BA...I have yet to open your files. I will like to get my license soon!

I have not driven a car for 4 years now!

Getting my "Argentinian" licence, really Neuquén, was one of the easy things I have done in this country. It probably helped that I had a short skirt on, long blond hair and a charming accent. I showed my European license and he printed out a NQN one for me, plastified it and I was on my way.

My husband had to take the test again since his, soon to be expired, Capital license did not have a legalization paper with it. In this case they make it as messy for the locals as for the residents.

Back