Driver's License: The Certificado De Legalidad

In Italy , beginner drivers must place a sticker with the letter "P" (principate) for one year to show they are new drivers.

If it's your first license you won't have to present anything from abroad but you will need the certificate from the driving school, even if it's just a "few" classes, and, as lulu! just posted, there apparently are some "restrictions" on a "beginner's" license. It would be interesting to know what they are.

PS: My first Argentine driver's license (issued in 2010) is valid for five years.

The first six months you have to have a green P hanging in the windshield as well as the rear windshield meaning "principiante". Also, a new driver is now allowed to drive on the highway or any avenues that permit you to driver more than 60kph, which means the General Paz is not an option for the first six months.

The first six months you have to have a green P hanging in the windshield as well as the rear windshield meaning "principiante". Also, a new driver is now allowed to drive on the highway or any avenues that permit you to driver more than 60kph, which means the General Paz is not an option for the first six months.

This has been updated to any avenidas with speeds more than 70kph. Only three of the avenidas in the city go over 70: Lugones, Cantilo and Gral Paz. Principiantes are prohibited to drive in Mico and Macrocentro. This includes an area between and including Av. Cordoba and Av Independencia for north and south limits, and Av Callao and Av Ing. Huergo for West and East limits. I just got my license and in the class the instructor said that micro and macrocentro are only off limits from 8-20hs dias habiles, but I can't get a confirmation of this from anywhere so I'm assuming they're generally off limits the first 6 months.

Also, anyone who lived in Dubai and has a valid Dubai license, PM me if you're interested in finding out the process for getting the Certificado de Legalidad since I just got this done for my wife and they accepted her as a non principiante (that's the only thing that changes, either they accept your license and you're not a beginner, or they don't and you are, unless you are from Spain, then you don't have to take some tests). Anyway, I can only help with respect to Dubai (or UAE in general).

By the way, the whole "P" (for principiante :p ) thing has been a weird experience. All the drivers, especially buses, avoid you like the plague. Its awesome. The only annoyance is that other drivers feel it necessary to honk at you to let you know they're around, even if you're in your own lane doing nothing weird.

Yes, it's a mess to get the certificado de legalización.

My Spanish license is about to expire and I have been trying to get the damn certificado in order to exchange it for an Argentine drivers' license.

Just too complicated: the Spaniards claim they don't even have a standard form for such thing, and they are asking ME to first provide them with a copy of my "spanish greencard" in order for them to start considering such certificado de legalizacion (what?).

Therefore I will just go ahead and try to get a renewal of my 90's Argentine drivers' license. If that fails, well, I guess that I will just have to take the test again.

*All this crap for a driver's license in a country where you can go ahead and hit a pregnant woman with your car, run away and only get a couple days in jail until some idiot kirchnerista judge lets you go with a slap in the wrist :wacko:

I've only read the first page of the post, so sorry in advance if you have covered this already. Just wanted to share my experience.

My Spanish license is about to expire and I have been trying to get the damn certificado de legalizacion in order to exchange it for an Argentine drivers' license.

Just too complicated: the Spaniards claim they don't even have a standard form for such thing, and they are asking ME to provide them with my resident's permit in order to start considering such certificado de legalizacion.

Therefore I will just go ahead and try to get a renewal of my 90's Argentine drivers' license. If that fails, well, I guess that I will just have to take the test again.

This might help you: http://cgeonline.com...cencia-244.html

In general you just need a letter saying that the license is real and not fake. Being that the license is from Spain, the rest of the details like your name and license number and whatnot are already on the license in Spanish that they can read easily. Once you get the certificate, go to Archivos in Roca and they'll accept it there.

My wife's license was in English, once we got all the attestations done, we decided to get it translated so all the information from the license would be on one paper and that paper would mention all the legalizations, that is what made is so smooth for us. They looked at the translation with information on one paper and saw that everything was legalized...they smiled and nodded and accepted it. This all sounds complicated and overwhelming but its worth it so you're not "legally" stuck in the city with a beginner license.

Thanks Nico, but I already tried that... I had a friend go in person to the Traffic office where I got my Spanish license and all they do is just ask for papers to stall you.

They don't know how to do it and they don't want to make the effort either. All my friend could get was a form called Solicitud de Cuestiones Varias. I am not surprised... 8 years ago, when I went to such traffic office to get my drivers license, I asked a clerk if there was an internet page where I could track the status of my application... He responded with pride "hey, I don't even know how to send an email, don't ask me about internet".

Ah, now I see what the problem is. They too are on their "mate breaks" over in Spain. :) So as things go here, in Dubai and I guess in Spain, what you need is wasta .

Is it possible to get a Argentine driver's license in lieu of a driving license from a neighboring /bordering spanish speaking country.

anyone has experince in that?

Does anyone know how it works with car insurance if you have a "new" Argentine drivers license, I mean during these first 6 months of beginners category? I was thinking about getting the Argentine license to not have to go through the hassle of legalizing my European one and during the first 6 months just also bring my European license and passport and hope it works if someone stops me. But can you even get an insurance on a beginners card?

Back