Dude, Where's My Car?!

lucha54

Registered
I believe that in a tired stupor at 1AM Sunday night, I accidentally left my parked car blocking the garage of a building across the street. Note that it appears the garage only fits one car, not all the cars of everyone in the building (so I probably just pissed off one guy and luckily not the whole building).

I was going out yesterday (Monday) at 5:45PM and realized the car wasn't there. That's when I realized I probably also blocked the garage. The street has recently changed to "no parking on the left" due to the construction on Cabildo. I was also parked on the left! (but they haven't been towing cars, just leaving tickets on a daily basis). I was a block over from my street so that's contributed to forgetting that I'm not supposed to park on that side anymore. Anyway, I don't think the car is missing because of that; I think it's missing because I left it blocking the garage.

BUT THEN.... we called the 147 number which is the City website. They didn't know what to tell us; they didn't have it on record that the car had been picked up. We went down last night to that place in Recoleta where the gruas take the cars. It wasn't there. He said it was weird, they don't remove cars from anywhere in Nuñez, and maybe it was stolen. He wrote down a phone number to call (which closes at 5:30 anyway) and he also wrote "Sarmiento & Obligado" on the paper, two streets that don't intersect anywhere. We called the number even though it was after 5:30 and it was someone's cell phone, totally the wrong number and no help at all.

We went to the police station; they told us there are no gruas in Nuñez, they have no information on where it might be, and to file a police report just in case it was stolen. I highly doubt it was stolen because it's a Peugeot 206 old funky car and I'm pretty sure I left it blocking that garage door and that's probably why it got removed by some legitimate entity. But who the hell do we call to find out where it is?!

The cop that patrols our corner told us, "Oh yeah, I saw a grua this morning pass by but I'm really not sure where he had picked up the car he was taking away, it could have been from anywhere, sorry not sure..."

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here?!?!??!?!?!?!

Unfortunately I think your car has been stolen. File a police report and contact your insurer. Sorry to hear.

Unfortunately I think your car has been stolen. File a police report and contact your insurer. Sorry to hear.

(It's my bf's car that was a gift from his sister and it may be a blessing in disguise as he can probably get more money from the insurance than from a buyer in the future, but...)

really? You really think it was stolen? Coincidentally on the same day that accidentally parked it in a no-parking zone AND in front of a building's garage door? REALLY?!

I'd say the guy you blocked in probably knows someone with a crane, it'll be in the riachuelo by now. That counts as stolen I'd say, i.e. someone took it, it ain't coming back and you don't know where it is.

I'd say the guy you blocked in probably knows someone with a crane, it'll be in the riachuelo by now. That counts as stolen I'd say, i.e. someone took it, it ain't coming back and you don't know where it is.

LOL ok. Does anyone (Nuñez resident or otherwise) know who you would call if someone is blocking your garage door and the city grua doesn't reach your neighborhood? And not just a guy with a crane?

Here is an idea.. Ask the person whos garage it was blocking if they may know something about it. Chances are they wanted to leave their garage sometime during the day and couldnt due to your hot rod. (no pun intended)

I would ask the porteros, if any, but that's obvious so you likely did it already

Report it as stolen to your insurance agency. They have guys that patrol the streets looking for stolen cars, they once found our old Gol in a Villa when we hoped that it would never be found again. (I think Villa 21/24, it was one of the ones with numbers, not 31 or 31 bis though). So the insurance company will either find it in a tow lot or one of their guys will find it on the streets, or a few months from now they will finally give it up as lost and ages later they'll cut you a cheque. Hope you're with one of the better insurance companies, it is a headache to go through!

EDIT: The Gol was stolen at gunpoint from my husband, it wasn't that we falsely reported it stolen. We just didn't want it back and have to go through the hassle of repairing it etc.

I assume you already talked to the people in the bldg across the street?

As our vet once said on exiting a show with clients and finding his truck gone "Most probably it has ben stolen". I would report it to your insurance company ASAP and get the police report.

The building has very few apartments... I did stop by and ring the porteria button yesterday at 6PM but there was no answer. My bf tried again today and nobody answered. We'll start calling the tenants. The insurance is Federacion Patronal I think... hopefully they are decent.

Already got the police report filed, sending it to the insurance company today. Thank god i don't need the car for work!

Back