duty free

Just to clarify, you can bring in your personal (used goods) of any value as a tourist. With new goods, anything over $300 is subject to taxes.

I flew into EZE on BA in September. Tourist visa. British passport very obviously in hand. They were xraying everything. I declared nothing, I forgot the bit about the phone declaration. After my bags went through the xray they searched my hand luggage (3 bags). Went through the clothing bag, the laptop bag - got questioned about the my macbook at which point I switched to English. Got to the third bag which had electronics (new and still in the packaging - I know I know) and he came across some underwear (which was on top of the plastic bags with the electronics). He toyed with the edge of the underwear and told me I was really pretty. I blushed, he looked sheepish, I was free to go. I repacked the rest of the bag, he went back to his mates at the xray, told them all and pointed at me. I fled.

Moral of the story - customs agents at EZE like red lace.

texxaslonghorn said:
Yeah, and if you're stopped with a bunch of new stuff, just slip them a 20 . . . .

How do you do that..is there a handbook on offering bribes... Do you wink whilst passing over the note..slip it into their inside pocket, open the wallet and let them chose.I am so naive on local bribery customs!!!

Nossyd said:
How do you do that..is there a handbook on offering bribes... Do you wink whilst passing over the note..slip it into their inside pocket, open the wallet and let them chose.I am so naive on local bribery customs!!!

Apparently we need to put it in our red lacey knickers! :eek: lol.

I come into Ezeiza every month. I can tell you that they have a new boss at Ezeiza the last fast months and that the customs officials are checking everyone, including tourists, much more closely than in the past. Part of a general "clean up" on alleged abuses, bribery scandals, and lax enforcement of tax laws. If you have things that look new (especially electronics, etc) and you don't have receipts, they can and will enforce the duty limitations. I had two friends go through Ezeiza in the last couple of days and they had to pay duty. But the main thing they are looking for even with tourists is quantity. Quantity indicates gift or resale....just common sense; and those are definitely subject to tax. If you are not a local and speak very good and almost excellent castellano porteno, I would not recommend offering bribes or slipping bills.

How do they value wine exactly?

I´m planing on bringing back about a mixed case worth of wine which will probably be ´´valued´´ for much more than 300 but which has not been on the retail market for a few years

Can I just declare it and say they´re all 20$ bottles.

I can't remember what the limit is on wine bottles (quantity) but I would not worry about a mixed case of wine. Wine is something very abundant in Argentina. Customs is looking for things that are valuable and that are NOT so available in Argentina for cheaper prices. That is, electronics, computer parts, etc Those are the principle things they are looking for. But if you have a quantity of anything, that would indicate "commercial use" and be subject to tax. Declaring wine at say 10 to 15 bucks a bottle would be more than reasonable.

Back