Earning dollars, spending pesos

I was about to say thank you, and then you ask me for a fee over pm...

Offering something to bait and switch for your business is not a respectable thing to do. I don't need a personal banker, I can just ask my airbnb host or anyone in argentina to direct me to a cueva and they will be happy to do so.
Oh yeah I don't talk on the free for anyone (except maybe Caribbean Cool - because he is special that like..LOL). You're asking someone to hook you up with a trusted connection. Nope. Not going to do it for free. You're not talking about a normal cueva. You're talking about doing bitcoin transactions in exchange for cash. Sure, no worries, you can find someone to do it. Good luck.

But keep in mind something VERY important. YOU are taking ALL the risk with cuevas. YOU will have to send your bitcoin first. LOTS of scams out there. There are people cheating their own families in Buenos Aires for money. Good luck on your transaction. ALL my contacts are verified and trustworthy. People have NO clue how cutthroat and dangerous it is in Buenos Aires.

They think they are going to be in a room or something with someone saying, "ok let's do it at the same time". It's not like that. YOU send the money first and then they give it to you LATER. You have to use people 10000% trustworthy. I hear from people almost every day that get ripped off. So good luck.

Last edited:
Cuevas don't use bitcoin, they use usdt.

Listen I don't have a problem with your business, just with the bait and switch. I never asked for a direct hook up, you offered.

Cuevas don't use bitcoin, they use usdt.
I've sent BTC and Litecoin to my contacts there without issues. There are tons of different options. You are taking the term "cueva" and think it's like actual institutions. All a "cueva" is is some guy that is exchanging $X to $Y.

Like I said, you can find someone. But also you think you are saving money when many times you don't. I've seen tons of things in Buenos Aires. Most times by the time people come to me it's too late. They already got screwed time #1, #2, or #3 and finally cried uncle and want to do it correctly.

Remember there Is NO recourse in Argentina. NO small claims court, no police that will help you, NOTHING. So the only option is doing it right the first time.

Many of these people operating in Argentina eventually "exit scam" you. So time #1 or #2 or #3 might work then bam! Time #4 you're hosed.

And the best way to do a direct transaction in person is usdt, bitcoin would be too slow... (This is how 99% of crypto to cash deals are made in cuevas from what I have heard)I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone who was going to charge me for it.

I also don't appreciate the typical fear mongering strategy that a lot of expat focused services use. The only expat service I used in another country was a law firm where they accepted you could do everything by yourself and save some money but they obviously had more experience.

I agree you have to be careful in Argentina and obviously I'm not making a real estate deal with a stranger but I also wouldn't trust someone who uses a dishonest strategy to promote his business.

Last edited:
And the best way to do a direct transaction in person is usdt, bitcoin would be too slow... (This is how 99% of crypto to cash deals are made in cuevas from what I have heard)I can't believe I'm explaining this to someone who was going to charge me for it.

I also don't appreciate the typical fear mongering focused on naive expats.
No one is saying you're a naive expat. You're the one posting about coming to Argentina with only $2,000 cash and wanting trusted contacts on a message board. I wish you the best. I really do.

I'm in the same situation, but I can't use western union to bring my money over. Does anyone know how easy it is to turn crypto into cash here? I heard cuevas do it for a 5% fee.

I never asked for a trusted contact. You offered and then baited and switched over pm.
In this forum and other expat communities 99% of people are happy to exchange information for free. If I offer to help someone and ask them to pm me I don't turn around and ask them for money on the first message.
Of course someone demanding exact cueva information from strangers is not nice either, that's why I didn't ask for it.

Baited and switched? Ha. Come on man. OK, keep waiting for the trusted contact on this board. Like I said, good luck I mean that. We always try to help people. That's the goal of these boards. Best.

perhaps you shouldn't have used the phrase "hook you up"
No time was invested by the OP. There is safety and concern measures when you refer someone to your trusted contact that you've been banking with for the past 15 years. Perhaps, "hook you up" was the wrong term and if there was any unintentional offense, I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

But I'm just posting from my side we take referrals to trusted banking partners serious. When someone doesn't want to (or can't) send a Western Union to themselves that comes off as a bit suspect. So there are safely measures in place before referring to trusted financial contacts. I will refrain from using "hook you up" in the future. My apologies to the OP.

Most cuevas will take USDT. Make sure it's one that has been around for a while and trust worthy. There are many cuevas out in the open and legit. Cambio Baires is one of them - has many locations.

I haven't asked about crypto at this specific cueva but go to one of them, make the transfer there on your phone, show them the transaction confirmation and you have your pesos. Not so complicated.

Back