Earning dollars, spending pesos

Reading here it sounds like scamming is universal in Buenos Aires. I have never been scammed here nor have done it......but I am ready to get started so I can join the club. So where do I sign up? I am willing to walk down the street with my backpack open......I could leave some dollars in my shirt pocket so all could see....I could walk up and down Florida offering to buy dollars ABOVE the blue rate....or...maybe rent a kid and ask for donations. Any good ideas would be considered.
LOL. NOW that I get your sense of humor I understand your posts more. I didn't get it before. No, I've never gotten scammed either because I've always been careful but I can tell you lots and lots of people that have. Also, I've had over 100+ employees in Buenos Aires. You know what? Almost all of them have had phones stolen in BA in the past 20 years. I have never and don't fear walking around with my iPhone. But I'm very aware of my surroundings. Lots of people get robbed there but fortunately NOT violent crime.

I don't find BA to be a dangerous city overall but full of scams.
I don't think that's possible, but even if it were, it still would require me to go to Colonia on a regular basis. I'm going in a few days and the roundtrip BuqueBus ticket was over $100 USD, so I'm not keen on repeating if I can help it. Finding someone reliable in Buenos Aires would be ideal I think.

I've only been here for two weeks, so I'm hoping to avoid being scammed for at least another month or two, lol. LATAM airlines scammed me on the way here, but that's a story for different thread.
Trust me, going back/forth to Colonia is NOT an efficient use of your time. You won't get scammed if you do some due diligence and are careful.

I don't think that's possible, but even if it were, it still would require me to go to Colonia on a regular basis. I'm going in a few days and the roundtrip BuqueBus ticket was over $100 USD, so I'm not keen on repeating if I can help it. Finding someone reliable in Buenos Aires would be ideal I think.

I've only been here for two weeks, so I'm hoping to avoid being scammed for at least another month or two, lol. LATAM airlines scammed me on the way here, but that's a story for different thread.
^ I have no first hand experience but if I were you I would WU to myself pesos and just change that to us cash at any cuevas. Most argentinians save in pesos and then go and buy us cash bills. You would pay a bit higher % due to the double conversion but it's the most hassle free way.

That's how I planned to do it before I realized WU didn't work for me.

ACH Transfers, paypal/payoneer/zelle etc all most likely have a higher % fee anyways and you open yourself up for more trouble (like paypal closing down your acc, etc).

^ I have no first hand experience but if I were you I would WU to myself pesos and just change that to us cash at any cuevas. Most argentinians save in pesos and then go and buy us cash bills. You would pay a bit higher % due to the double conversion but it's the most hassle free way.

ACH Transfers, paypal/payoneer/zelle etc all most likely have a higher % fee anyways and you open yourself up for more trouble (like paypal closing down your acc, etc).
I totally agree with you grosso95. Paypal is NOT a good method for what grosso95 is mentioning. They shut down your account and many times even if you have cash in it they are a nightmare to deal with to reopen it. We have had people that used it for "one off" payments but I'd recommend other methods.

ACH is the easiest method or Zelle. All of the trusted people that have done this for years never have issues. Like I said, I've dealt with hundreds of millions of dollars since 2002 without any issues.

Zelle at least is completely free to use. It's owned and operated by several major U.S. banks and integrated into the banking apps of over 1,600 U.S. banks - something like 80% of the U.S. banking population has easy direct access to Zelle via their own bank's app or website. Transfers are typically instantaneous. I use Zelle regularly to transfer funds to myself from one bank to another and my balances at both banks are adjusted within seconds. Both of my regular banks have Zelle incorporated, so I log directly into the bank's website to access Zelle.

The downside of Zelle is that it is near impossible to have funds reversed if someone else scams you into sending them money, or if you accidentally send money to the wrong person. Because the funds are going directly from one bank account almost instantly into another bank account, with no middleman, there's no going back if you make a mistake. So with Zelle its extremely important to know your recipient and not fall for any kind of phishing or social engineering. My primary bank has a daily Zelle limit of $1,000 and a weekly limit of $2,500 - most likely to limit the damage from elderly citizens falling prey to scammers.

I personally have only had awesome experiences with Zelle, and since there are no fees, it's sort of a no-brainer for transfers between U.S. bank accounts. I'm not sure why anyone who has Zelle access via their bank would still use Paypal or CashApp, except for maybe commercial transactions in which the PayPal buyer protection might be more important to you.

The initial hurdle, like @earlyretirement mentioned a few posts back, is having the confidence and trust to send someone in BA a Zelle transfer for the first time, especially if you're new here (like me). I'd probably be hesitant the first time unless I was standing right next to the recipient when I push the "send" button. But once the relationship and trust is established, and since Zelle doesn't have any fees, it seems like it's a better way to go than approaching random people on the street with a bag full of pesos (and in my case broken Spanish as well).

I get that Zelle is really only a decent option for U.S. expats though. Folks from other countries may be forced to use other money transfer providers where the percentage of the cut is too large and perhaps buying dollars on the street might make more financial sense.

Last edited:
Zelle at least is completely free to use. It's owned and operated by several major U.S. banks and integrated into the banking apps of over 1,600 U.S. banks - something like 80% of the U.S. banking population has easy direct access to Zelle via their own bank's app or website. Transfers are typically instantaneous. I use Zelle regularly to transfer funds to myself from one bank to another and my balances at both banks are adjusted within seconds. Both of my regular banks have Zelle incorporated, so I log directly into the bank's website to access Zelle.

The downside of Zelle is that it is near impossible to have funds reversed if someone else scams you into sending them money, or if you accidentally send money to the wrong person. Because the funds are going directly from one bank account almost instantly into another bank account, with no middleman, there's no going back if you make a mistake. So with Zelle its extremely important to know your recipient and not fall for any kind of phishing or social engineering. My primary bank has a daily Zelle limit of $1,000 and a weekly limit of $2,500 - most likely to limit the damage from elderly citizens falling prey to scammers.

I personally have only had awesome experiences with Zelle, and since there are no fees, it's sort of a no-brainer for transfers between U.S. bank accounts. I'm not sure why anyone who has Zelle access via their bank would still use Paypal or CashApp, except for maybe commercial transactions in which the PayPal buyer protection might be more important to you.

The initial hurdle, like @earlyretirement mentioned a few posts back, is having the confidence and trust to send someone in BA a Zelle transfer for the first time, especially if you're new here (like me). I'd probably be hesitant the first time unless I was standing right next to the recipient when I push the "send" button. But once the relationship and trust is established, and since Zelle doesn't have any fees, it seems like it's a better way to go than approaching random people on the street with a bag full of pesos (and in my case broken Spanish as well).

I get that Zelle is really only a decent option for U.S. expats though. Folks from other countries may be forced to use other money transfer providers where the percentage of the cut is too large and perhaps buying dollars on the street might make more financial sense.
Just keep in mind Zelle has limits.

Just keep in mind that Zelle has limits. You can't use it for big transactions. I had a client this morning that needed to send $9,000 and couldn't. Look at the limits and note them. That's the only negative about Zelle. Just an FYI.

Zelle can send transfers overseas..? to foreign banks..? Is Zelle better than ACH ?
No, not overseas. It's just USA to USA. So basically OP would use his Zelle in the USA to send to a cueva or person that also uses Zelle in the USA. Send the funds and then get charged X% fee and get his US $cash in Buenos Aires. Almost all of these financial people in Buenos Aires have USA bank accounts. So it's just going USA bank to USA bank.

Like I said, the only limitation I've run into with Zelle is their limits are lower. I can't remember but I think like $5,000 per week and $500 up to $1,000 each time or something like that. It might differ by credit union/bank. (https://www.zellepay.com/faq/there-limit-how-much-money-i-can-send-or-receive#:~:text=If your bank or credit,in the Zelle® app.) It's good for smaller payments. Some times some of these bankers in order not to mess around with too small of transactions will change $20 US plus X% for each transfer. It works flawlessly though. I'd certainly do that vs. going over to Uruguay which is going to burn time, money and has risks. Zelle works fabulous if your limit is high enough.

There is no bigger cost than your time. People never seem to put a value on their time and you always have to. Time= money.

Last edited:

Do please post your LATAM experience to the Facebook group "LATAM Airlines Suck". The more, the better :)

Do please post your LATAM experience to the Facebook group "LATAM Airlines Suck". The more, the better :)
Actually I've been quite pleased with my last few experiences with LATAM. Previously I usually only flew American Airlines or "American" based airlines. But ticket prices have been insane. I have flown down 3 times this year on LATAM. LAX to Lima to EZE. 2 times I flew in Business class and the service was excellent. And then I flew down with my family in coach class and even that was good. Flights all left on time. food was decent and staff were friendly.

If you have a layover, you can stay at that Holiday Inn right across the street from the airport. It's handy for a flight the next day.

Back