Earning dollars, spending pesos

Actually I've been quite pleased with my last few experiences with LATAM. Previously I usually only flew American Airlines or "American" based airlines. But ticket prices have been insane. I have flown down 3 times this year on LATAM. LAX to Lima to EZE. 2 times I flew in Business class and the service was excellent. And then I flew down with my family in coach class and even that was good. Flights all left on time. food was decent and staff were friendly.

If you have a layover, you can stay at that Holiday Inn right across the street from the airport. It's handy for a flight the next day.
LATAM are good in the air, the Chilean part of the operation seems to have mostly ex-airforce pilots who know what they're doing. They have a good safety record, in spite of there being some really big rocks in the clouds where they fly.

They do seem to be getting less careful, though, they had a major screw up a year ago in Asuncion, see the Aviation Herald for details.

Most people's (and my) problems seem to be with the ground operations, ticketing, flight cancelations, customer service and so on, which absolutely suck. Getting refunds from them for paid bookings they cancelled is a major task, and their customer service is set up to frustrate you at every step.

You actually stayed at the Lima Holiday Inn on the other side of the craziest roundabout in South America? o_O It could take you 30 mins to get from one side to the other.

TONS of people out there like you. I trust your client doesn't know or care you're in Argentina? If they don't care you're golden. You don't have to do anything right now. You can easily just cross the border into Uruguay every 3 months. Argentina doesn't really care. I know many people that over stayed their visa. Some for up to 2 years and they just paid a fine when they left. I personally have never stayed in Argentina illegally even one day. I always got a visa but I wouldn't recommend that for you.

Just enjoy life earning US $ and spending pesos. You don't have to worry about Argentina taxes. You'll pay taxes in the USA if you're American. Just make sure to follow all the tax laws and declare income, etc. You can get by with Western Union.
Talk to me like I'm super new to this. What do I need to do in Uruguay to keep my tourist visa?

Will I need to be legit to buy a car, sign a long term rent agreement, sign up for healthcare or get married in Argentina? Could not being legit interfere with my girlfriends visa application(to the US) or other visa/citizenship applications such as mine in the future?

What does the "legit" process look like and what are its limitations? Do I end up paying US and Argentine Taxes?

LATAM are good in the air, the Chilean part of the operation seems to have mostly ex-airforce pilots who know what they're doing. They have a good safety record, in spite of there being some really big rocks in the clouds where they fly.

They do seem to be getting less careful, though, they had a major screw up a year ago in Asuncion, see the Aviation Herald for details.

Most people's (and my) problems seem to be with the ground operations, ticketing, flight cancelations, customer service and so on, which absolutely suck. Getting refunds from them for paid bookings they cancelled is a major task, and their customer service is set up to frustrate you at every step.

You actually stayed at the Lima Holiday Inn on the other side of the craziest roundabout in South America? o_O It could take you 30 mins to get from one side to the other.
NO you can NOT walk to that. It's impossible. There is a FREE shuttle bus right there when you land. It's always available when I land. Takes 5 minutes to DRIVE there. Do NOT attempt to walk it.

Talk to me like I'm super new to this. What do I need to do in Uruguay to keep my tourist visa?

Will I need to be legit to buy a car, sign a long term rent agreement, sign up for healthcare or get married in Argentina? Could not being legit interfere with my girlfriends visa application(to the US) or other visa/citizenship applications such as mine in the future?

What does the "legit" process look like and what are its limitations? Do I end up paying US and Argentine Taxes?
It looks like you're here because you have an Argentine girlfriend. If you intend to stay long term, sign long term rental contracts, obtain health insurance, and do most of the normal things, you need to obtain either temporary (and then permanent) residency or citizenship. Marrying your girlfriend may be the only way to do either. And eventually, you do end up having to pay taxes in the US and Argentina (or becoming a tax evader in Argentina and running the risks that entails).

There is no easy way to answer your question and no one set of answers. But the first thing you need to do is work out whether you want to settle down here for good, or whether it's just for a year or two. (If it's just for a year or two, you may be able to get by leaving the country regularly, staying away for a few days (you don't actually have to DO anything in Uruguay or anywhere else) and hope they let you back in for another 90 days.)

Once your clear about whether this is permanent or temporary, start searching this website, because the answers (or at least a set of great clues) for either scenario are all here. Similar questions get asked all the time.

Last edited:
It looks like you're here because you have an Argentine girlfriend. If you intend to stay long term, sign long term rental contracts, obtain health insurance, and do most of the normal things, you need to obtain either temporary (and then permanent) residency or citizenship. Marrying your girlfriend may be the only way to do either. And eventually, you do end up having to pay taxes in the US and Argentina (or becoming a tax evader in Argentina and running the risks that entails).

There is no easy way to answer your question and no one set of answers. But the first thing you need to do is work out whether you want to settle down here for good, or whether it's just for a year or two. (If it's just for a year or two, you may be able to get by leaving the country regularly, staying away for a few days (you don't actually have to DO anything in Uruguay or anywhere else) and hope they let you back in for another 90 days.)

Once your clear about whether this is permanent or temporary, start searching this website, because the answers (or at least a set of great clues) for either scenario are all here. Similar questions get asked all the time.
One of the best and most level headed responses I've seen on this board. Bravo.

NO you can NOT walk to that. It's impossible. There is a FREE shuttle bus right there when you land. It's always available when I land. Takes 5 minutes to DRIVE there. Do NOT attempt to walk it.
Hahahaha I mean driving. It’s an awful roundabout, and to get across it you’re trying to force your way across 3 lanes on each side of nose to tail trucks thundering up and down the Panamerican highway. 5 mins if you’re suicidal 😃.

Hahahaha I mean driving. It’s an awful roundabout, and to get across it you’re trying to force your way across 3 lanes of nose to tail trucks thundering up and down the Panamerican highway. 5 mins if you’re suicidal 😃.
Ah I'm not sure. The driver never has an issue but I think he is going a few blocks down and then getting there. It's only a 5 minute ride but I always laugh when I talk to people that see it on Google maps as across the street and think they can just cross...LOL. I agree with you it's suicidal try!

An update on the crypto to ARS and USD situation. I found a contact just by searching not by direct recommendation and I took a risk with 300 usdT.
Here is the rate I got:

Vendemos USDT
0% + de 20 k
-0.2% + de 10 k
-0.4% + de 2 k
-0.6% - de 2 k

Compramos USDT
- 1% + 20 k
- 1.5% + 10 k
- 2% + 2 k
- 2.3% - 2 k

They only do in office deals for 2k+ transactions and the minimum was $300. I stared with the minimum and in 2 hours the delivery guy was at the my apartment lobby with the agreed amount. I did the transaction in front of him and in about 3 minutes it was confirmed and he gave me the money.
Delivery fee was 1200 pesos.

Overall it seems really easy and convenient if you can buy usdT yourself with low fees. It ends up being better than WU and in my opinion less risky as you don't have to go out with a bag full of pesos.

An update on the crypto to ARS and USD situation. I found a contact just by searching not by direct recommendation and I took a risk with 300 usdT.
Here is the rate I got:

Vendemos USDT
0% + de 20 k
-0.2% + de 10 k
-0.4% + de 2 k
-0.6% - de 2 k

Compramos USDT
- 1% + 20 k
- 1.5% + 10 k
- 2% + 2 k
- 2.3% - 2 k

They only do in office deals for 2k+ transactions and the minimum was $300. I stared with the minimum and in 2 hours the delivery guy was at the my apartment lobby with the agreed amount. I did the transaction in front of him and in about 3 minutes it was confirmed and he gave me the money.
Delivery fee was 1200 pesos.

Overall it seems really easy and convenient if you can buy usdT yourself with low fees. It ends up being better than WU and in my opinion less risky as you don't have to go out with a bag full of pesos.
Was this to receive USD cash?

Was this to receive USD cash?
Both. USDT to USD Cash you lose 2.3%. If you want pesos you ask for their rate as well.

In my case it was like this. Add 1 usdt as a transaction fee on binance.
300*-2.3%= -7 usdt
Recibimos 300 usdt
entregamos 100 usd y 193$*818= 157.870 pesos

Back