Economists warn electing Milei would spell devastation

He has stated he is anti abortion; in favour of same sex marriage.
Read the El Pais article in English.

https://english.elpais.com/international/2023-08-15/whats-going-on-inside-javier-mileis-head.html

“For me, marriage is a contract” between private parties, says Milei. Therefore, according to him, the state shouldn’t intervene. People can marry whoever they want, whether it’s someone from the opposite sex or the same sex. Milei even goes a step further and says that he’s against “marriage as an institution” regulated by the state. He himself isn’t married and has no known partner.

He himself isn’t married and has no known partner.
He's got Fátima. If he wins, it's going to be interesting watch her live up to her pledge to continue working even as primera dama, given that her profession is imitating political figures.

He's got Fátima. If he wins, it's going to be interesting watch her live up to her pledge to continue working even as primera dama, given that her profession is imitating political figures.
True.
I think the article was written before it became clear that Fatima is his 'significant other', apparently soon to be wife.

What has he said that is rabidly anti gay?
I'm not aware of any anti gay comments. He endorses same sex marriage. His grounds for opposing abortion is that the child has a different DNA and therefore is a separate life and has a right to live.

True.
I think the article was written before it became clear that Fatima is his 'significant other', apparently soon to be wife.
I'd bet dollars to free range donuts her desire to be his wife or not depends a lot on the election results.

I'd bet dollars to free range donuts her desire to be his wife or not depends a lot on the election results.
Possibly - aren't a lot of decisions to marry dependent on the benefits derived from the relationship?

There is a lot of misinformation, exaggeration, fear-mongering and myths floating around about the supposed "danger" of Millei.

The basic fact of the matter is that whatever his opinions may be (and anti-gay is not one of them...), he and others from his party have repeatedly affirmed that they will govern according to the constitution and respect and work to strengthen a fully independent judiciary. That combined with the fact he will need support from other more moderate political factions just to govern, means that there will continue to be all the checks and balances of a fully functioning democracy, regardless of whether some people like his opinions or proposed policies or not.

The economists cited in the article are warning: “However, while apparently, simple solutions may be appealing, they are likely to cause more devastation in the real world in the short run, while severely reducing policy space in the long run,” should remember many of these simple solutions such as eliminating the central bank or actual dollarization simply will not be possible in the short term due to the above-mentioned reality.

As for the economy, the fact that the current minister of economy Sergio Massa has already announced that his minister of economy (if elected president) will not come from his own political party already points towards a deepening economic disaster that he is proactively distancing himself from which is not exactly encouraging in a context of 140% inflation and 40%+ poverty, which has only worsened under his command to date. Turning around an oil tanker takes time and there are choppy seas ahead.

Last edited:
Even though he is rabidly anti gay and anti abortion?
Yes, he is anti-abortion, but I have not been able to find any information suggesting he is anti-gay. Please provide any sources that would corroborate this, as I have not been able to do so thus far.

Back