Economists warn electing Milei would spell devastation

I had to wait untill I was on a different phone to see this; not everyone has Twitter. Are you seriously asking why it takes less time to count physical papers in a box vs verifying signatures, unfolding, un-creasing, scanning, adjudicating ballot errors, on a ballot with multiple pages, printed on both sides? Or are you mocking this person?
Maybe the geniuses at "end wokeness" doesn't realize this was a single race with 2 candidates, vs a normal American election day with half a dozen ballot initiatives, a dozen offices to fill, third party candidates, etc.
The Milei team was saying single ballots would have been better but then you have some fool marking both boxes; one mark might be a slip of the pen, but you need to get officials from both sides to agree. This is what takes time.

The only thing I have heard about that is Milei stating concern that only 6 (?) or 7 million Argentinians work for private enterprise. From my limited
recent experience, I see a very large labout shortage, at least in contrstuction. If the job is too large, they leave without even discussing price. I
hear of people saying they would like to work more days but can´t because of taxes. I hear of others who won´t work because they have a "social plan". It is encouraging that so many young people supported Milei. I am optimistic they want to work and achieve. That would only be a win/win.

I don't agree, many Argentines are exactly the opposite. They don't like to work. Mostly everywhere I go, I see Venezuelan workers. Argentines, especially young people have a reputation for not having work ethic. I have to agree with @Agribotics. Until there is a massive cultural shift, nothing will change.

Your post didn't age too well.

You're right, my prediction about the election outcome didn't pan out as expected, which highlights the unpredictable nature of politics. However, my concerns about Milei's leadership style and potential impact on our country remain. His actions and policies in office will be the true measure of his impact. I hope, for the sake of our country, that he proves to be a positive force, but I maintain a watchful eye based on the reservations I've expressed. It's crucial for us as citizens to hold our leaders accountable, regardless of our initial expectations or predictions.

I don't agree, many Argentines are exactly the opposite. They don't like to work. Mostly everywhere I go, I see Venezuelan workers. Argentines, especially young people have a reputation for not having work ethic. I have to agree with @Agribotics. Until there is a massive cultural shift, nothing will change.
When I first arrived I tried to set up a business with the plan of hiring young, tech savvy Argentines to help me service US/European/Australian based clients. I offered a decent wage as well as commission with editors receiving a percentage of the job and the opportunity to work as much as they liked. It would have worked out to a higher than average wage, esp. for someone with a desire to have control of their own income and a good work ethic. The rub was that it was time sensitive work. In order to compete I had to deliver results according to industry standards - the following morning by 9 a.m., so I needed assurances that if someone took on a job that they'd get it done in the required timeframe.

I interviewed several people and didn't come across a single person who was willing to commit to those requirements. A few asked about the hours of siesta and time off instead of details of the work. Nobody seemed to care that it was the type of work where you could set your own hours as long as you met the deadline, work as much as you wanted above a certain reasonable minimum, and make as much as you wanted by taking on more work.

A friend of mine who runs a similar business in Peru and who's familiar with ARG told me that out of 10 workers you're lucky to get 1 maybe 2 who are above average, around 3 who aren't going to last a week and will constantly need to be replaced, and the rest will be average, which is not saying much and will also have to be replaced due to turnover. He also warned me that promises I make to clients and base the business on will be of zero concern to workers and since most of the workers I'd be looking to hire are of an age where they still live in their parent's home, offering financial opportunities such as above average earnings based on commissions and the ability to earn more by working more would be met with a shrug.

I thought about it for a few hours and ultimately decided I didn't want to bother creating something where I'd be staying up all night finishing unfinished projects in order to make deadlines, having to likely make apologies on a regular basis for missing the client's deadlines (their clients actually set the deadline), and also have to deal with all the govt. bureaucracy and regulations that come with running a business and having employees. Maybe in the Philippines (were similar businesses exist but the work ethic is much different), but not here. Glad I find out about that cultural difference before diving too far in. I don't object to the concept of slacking (I used to be a slacker myself), but I wouldn't want to rely on them when making promises to others.

When I first arrived I tried to set up a business with the plan of hiring young, tech savvy Argentines to help me service US/European/Australian based clients. I offered a decent wage as well as commission with editors receiving a percentage of the job and the opportunity to work as much as they liked. It would have worked out to a higher than average wage, esp. for someone with a desire to have control of their own income and a good work ethic. The rub was that it was time sensitive work. In order to compete I had to deliver results according to industry standards - the following morning by 9 a.m., so I needed assurances that if someone took on a job that they'd get it done in the required timeframe.

I interviewed several people and didn't come across a single person who was willing to commit to those requirements. A few asked about the hours of siesta and time off instead of details of the work. Nobody seemed to care that it was the type of work where you could set your own hours as long as you met the deadline, work as much as you wanted above a certain reasonable minimum, and make as much as you wanted by taking on more work.

A friend of mine who runs a similar business in Peru and who's familiar with ARG told me that out of 10 workers you're lucky to get 1 maybe 2 who are above average, around 3 who aren't going to last a week and will constantly need to be replaced, and the rest will be average, which is not saying much and will also have to be replaced due to turnover. He also warned me that promises I make to clients and base the business on will be of zero concern to workers and since most of the workers I'd be looking to hire are of an age where they still live in their parent's home, offering financial opportunities such as above average earnings based on commissions and the ability to earn more by working more would be met with a shrug.

I thought about it for a few hours and ultimately decided I didn't want to bother creating something where I'd be staying up all night finishing unfinished projects in order to make deadlines, having to likely make apologies on a regular basis for missing the client's deadlines (their clients actually set the deadline), and also have to deal with all the govt. bureaucracy and regulations that come with running a business and having employees. Maybe in the Philippines (were similar businesses exist but the work ethic is much different), but not here. Glad I find out about that cultural difference before diving too far in. I don't object to the concept of slacking (I used to be a slacker myself), but I wouldn't want to rely on them when making promises to others.

Argentina has a problem with responsibility and accountability . Its virtually impossible to hear sorry in this country for mistakes done . I knew many expats who had businesses here in Buenos Aires and all now in 2023 do not have them . Employing people here is like walking on eggshells as the system is designed to screw the emplloyer always . The culture in Argentina needs a thorough overhaul and it needs more thaa a Milei to change it !

Back