Electrical blackouts coming

how much are the costs for a generator. I have lived in a very elite building in Palermo which never had a power cut in 10 years.

I have to plan for the house, now and wake up to real life.
One point i noticed: in the neighbourhood where i live, one block north they never have a problem. According to the portero i know there it is because the line goes to the hospital. (So apparently a much more stable line). Two blocks to the east they have in summer numerous days without power (probably average of 10 days a year). My direct neighbour has a tri-phase connection, so he is much better protected. My point is: i would check before buying a generator what the probability is that you have extended power cuts. It can literally vary from street to street.

One point i noticed: in the neighbourhood where i live, one block north they never have a problem. According to the portero i know there it is because the line goes to the hospital. (So apparently a much more stable line). Two blocks to the east they have in summer numerous days without power (probably average of 10 days a year). My direct neighbour has a tri-phase connection, so he is much better protected. My point is: i would check before buying a generator what the probability is that you have extended power cuts. It can literally vary from street to street.
I never had a power cut in 10 years!! No one believes it.

One point i noticed: in the neighbourhood where i live, one block north they never have a problem. According to the portero i know there it is because the line goes to the hospital.
Same story on my side of the block in Caballito. Our line goes to the public Hospital Durand which is 6 blocks away. I bought my place in 2005. Since then, and prior according to my neighbors, we have not had power outages due to lack of energy.

20 October 2020
The former Secretary of Energy, Emilio Apud, spoke with the "Cada Mañana" team regarding the announcements of the brand new Secretary of Energy, Darío Martínez, about power cuts during next summer.

The most outstanding phrases of Emilio Apud:
“We came from a process of very high cuts at the end of the Kirchner era. The cuts were in the order of 33 average hours per user year. In the Macri government it was lowered to 16 hours. To be within the standards, in our country it had been decided that it had to be between 9 and 10 average hours per user per year, which was what we had at the end of the 90s ”.

"It was thought that in year 2022 we were going to reach that standard." “But it happens that the Macri government decided to start the freeze from March and this government maintained it until December. That breaks the investment agreement of the companies ”.

“From the moment the money is cut off because inflation is deteriorating those values, the first thing that is drawn on is to stop investments. This summer we could have problems equal to or a little greater than those of the previous summer because investments were stopped and perhaps a small bonus due to the increase in residential consumption ”.

"What is going to affect users is the residential part, but affected by the lack of investment in distribution, not in generation." "Large users in the last month have decreased consumption by 18% and residential increased by 11%". "The problem is going to be reflected in the part of the distribution in networks that permanently need a flow of investments."

“Until 2001 - 2002, I was secretary in 2001, it was quite a pleasant thing, we had a stock of energy production, the lowest rates in the region, an exceptional quality service. But then these fantasies of freezing and transferring resources from the energy sector to other sectors began. In other countries there is a rule that is that you pay for energy what energy costs. Those who cannot pay have a social rate, which is defined according to different parameters ”.

“Here we are very generous and we have one of the most generous social tariffs in the world and on top of that we pay for the energy 15% of what the energy used to cost. At the start of the fourth Kirchner government in December, the prices were reconciled and we are paying 80% of what the energy had cost, and 20% was subsidy ”.
“Today due to these freezes in a very high inflationary context we are paying 45%. We are going backwards ”. “This subsidy does not cover investments. The decree, which says we are going to depart from the freeze, consists in accompanying the inflation ”.

"Unfortunately, we have to prepare ourselves for a Déjà vu of what happened in 2013 - 2014".

Last edited:
In 3 years one major one (but it took out pretty much the whole country as well as a couple of neighbouring ones too, so I didn't feel targeted), and and there was a short one a few months ago, very localized, as in lights on one side of the street, none on the other. We're in Recoleta for what it's worth, YMMV, and problems with the water supply seem to be more common.

Good info about the generators, I'll be looking.

When I looked at apartments, savvy local friends advised me not to buy on the first floor (too accessible to burglars) or above the fourth floor (too many stairs to climb in case of power outages).

Back