Electrical blackouts coming

antipodean

Registered

More great news from Argentina to get your week off to a good start. The government are predicting many blackouts this summer as demand outstrips supply with more people at hiding at home from the virus. Prices will also go up for those not receiving government subsidies.

Perhaps not a good time to stock up on frozen goods if you don’t have a generator. May also be an idea to invest in a solar charger for phones and small electronics.

I bought a generator earlier this year. If you have a house, that's certainly a good thing.

You don't need a huge one, but one for the kitchen / freezer and for your IT stuff if you are working from home. It already saved me a full work day and a couple of kilo meat in the freezer one month ago

Power cuts are nowhere near as common as they were years ago when we seemed to have one every other day.
What does seem to have become a big problem here where I am is very low water pressure. I've had to go up on the roof several times over recent weeks to fill the water holder tank for the hot water systemas there wasn't enough pressure to fill it.
Got so pissed off with it and with summer coming we decided to get our plumber to fit a pump to the mains pipe. He fitted it today and the difference is amazing.

what wattage generators did ye go for? laptops/monitors/fridges don't consume much watts but for e.g. a 3000 frigoria inverter aire consumes 1000W in normal use but has a higher starting wattage...as do a lot of electrical devices with motors. the cuts seems to occur most on the hottest days.

what wattage generators did ye go for? laptops/monitors/fridges don't consume much watts but for e.g. a 3000 frigoria inverter aire consumes 1000W in normal use but has a higher starting wattage...as do a lot of electrical devices with motors. the cuts seems to occur most on the hottest days.
To be honest i dont know much about the technical details. So much i can tell you though: we bought a Hyundai hhy3000f. Apparently it has 2.5k watt and they told us that for the basic things (freezer, laptop etc) it will be enough. And so it was indeed when we used it two months ago (when the transformer of the neighborhood exploded in the middle of the night and we were left for 30 hours without electricity). But we know it wont be enough for aircons etc in the summer

My take on the power outages....Macri took the energy rates to more realistic prices, everybody was upset and complaining. He did the hard work. This new guy Fernandez, stopped price adjustments and now the energy companies don't have money to invest in maintenance, so we are back in the same hole we were before Macri adjusted the rates.

Got hit with two power outages yesterday. One around 6pm for about three hour. Then another one around 3:30am till about 6am.
So today I stopped by the local hardware store and picked up a litter of kerosene to keep the lamps going for the next one. I have a feeling this is going to be a long hot summer. BTW, I live in Constitucion.

how much are the costs for a generator. I have lived in a very elite building in Palermo which never had a power cut in 10 years.

I have to plan for the house, now and wake up to real life.

Back