Empty Bars And Restaurants

There are a few on guardia vieja that are pretty good. They are full from about 9pm, perhaps because they are cheap and offer half decent food. They could be benefiting from the high prices in Palermo. You can still get a Ltr of Stella for 30 pesos.

There used to be a bar on Medrano, close to Guardia Vieja, where you could get a liter of Stella for 20 pesos. Unfortunately, it changed ownership a couple of months ago, and I think the prices went up. They also close early now.

That area of Almagro has some of my favorite bars in BsAs.

nounou - I tried to change pesos in australia as well a few months ago. Travelex refused and stated it was because thy couldnt sell them on. American Express did exchange but only the crisp, non damaged, no marked 100 peso notes. Nothing else. American express also said it was because whoever they sold them to would only accept AR$100 in perfect condition. This was a few months ago so not sure if this has changed since.

Thanks pez, I will give Amex another go, if there is no luck I will hold on to them for when I return to Argentina....I figure it will be enough to buy a coffee at the airport :D

When I was at Travelex in Dallas three weeks ago they offered to sale me pesos at 4.5 to the dollar. Why would anyone buy at a rate at almost half the market rate?

I'll keep that in mind Joe. At the moment I am more angry about the lack of rationale as to why they refuse to exchange what is 'legal tender'. If they could back their rhetoric up with a sound legal reason I'd happily back off, but when I see they are fudging, then I explode...lol

Just BTW, when I bought a few Pesos before leaving the rate was 4.8 to the Aus dollar.

Having experienced similar situations with other devalued currencies, can offer as an explanation, The lack of interest to purchase a currency is due to the fact that has little or no demand at that location, and may drop in value if you hold it for a day or two. I wouldn't buy it either. It's a risky business.

Back