Empty Bars And Restaurants

nounou - I tried to change pesos in australia as well a few months ago. Travelex refused and stated it was because thy couldnt sell them on. American Express did exchange but only the crisp, non damaged, no marked 100 peso notes. Nothing else. American express also said it was because whoever they sold them to would only accept AR$100 in perfect condition. This was a few months ago so not sure if this has changed since.
When I was at Travelex in Dallas three weeks ago they offered to sale me pesos at 4.5 to the dollar. Why would anyone buy at a rate at almost half the market rate?

Spending Peso's overseas! You are kidding aren't you? I brought approx $200.00 back with me, and then had the bright idea of exchanging them here in Perth. Have so far tried 3 foreign exchange outlets plus 2 of the 4 major banks, just because I have always hated the words 'no, we don't do that'! As soon as they see a person with Argentine Pesos they pretty much pull up the drawbridge, yet fail to give an explanation of why they won't exchange them! If I ever get an explanation for this I'll be sure to post it here.

You dont spend Peso's abroad but you ask AFIP for dollars, which you then change at blue rate and you max out your credit card and pay your credit card with your local salary and/or pesos you got with the blue rate.

If there is still room at your credit card you can also make a profit with selling clothes and shoes to friends or family

I went out in Almagro the other night and there wasn't any space in two of the bars I like. Instead we went to a new place that had just opened up.

One of the reasons its a good place is you don't have to wait until 1am to head out unlike Mal-ermo.

Which bars do you like?

Which is the new bar you checked? How do you rate it?

Bars, restaurants and clubs dont feel any emptier to me, atleast not where I hang out. My gf works in a high end fashion store of a local Argentine designer and there has been a significant decline in sales over the last 12 months, across the board at their locations.

Pez, when you changed your pesos back in Aust what rate did they give you?

We went to Mumbai (palermo, honduras) for a curry and a bar close by for a drink on sat, both were busy. Had to sit outside for a drink on sat night nearby and it was cold enough! ...didnt expect to have the winter coat out just yet!

Which bars do you like?

Which is the new bar you checked? How do you rate it?

There are a few on guardia vieja that are pretty good. They are full from about 9pm, perhaps because they are cheap and offer half decent food. They could be benefiting from the high prices in Palermo. You can still get a Ltr of Stella for 30 pesos.

Kansas in Martinez is always packed , 2 hour wait on weekends. Same with Nelly's in Puerto Olivos. Rosa Negra on Darda Rocho/San Isidro is always full.
Have not tried PF Chang's. But hear it has been full.

It's not Martinez, but either way in zona norte most places seem to do ok, but I am sure they have a drop as well for 2013.

It's not Martinez, but either way in zona norte most places seem to do ok, but I am sure they have a drop as well for 2013.

4 blocks north of the border with San Isidro ? BFD. Close enough. Everyone up here knows where it is. BTW, It's the economy , _________ !

4 blocks north of the border with San Isidro ? BFD. Close enough. Everyone up here knows where it is. BTW, It's the economy , _________ !

Part of it, and especially the lack of salaryincreases, but a big part must also be that people rather spend abroad and/or save dollars

Back