Exchange Rate Robbery or Reasonable?

Bajo_cero2 said:
Bla.
There is some people trying to take advantage for sure. Something in between is reasonable. If the official dolar is 4.25 and the blue 4.75, then 4,50 is something fair.
Regards

If official rate is 4.25 pesos she/he should pay that rate, to do otherwise will be illegal in the eyes of the law, period.

Hope the government fast track legislation to amend this lease/contracts nonsense.

Who cares ? If the owner wants dollars for their property and the contract states as much, they are entitled to dollars. Anything else and they are doing the tenant a favor. Half the people on this board are currently selling their dollars at black market rates. They have no moral high ground to then say the owner can't ask for the same rate. Give me a break. " me da paja estos comentarios ".

Lucas said:
If official rate is 4.25 pesos she/he should pay that rate, to do otherwise will be illegal in the eyes of the law, period.

Hope the government fast track legislation to amend this lease/contracts nonsense.

Some people got burned also with the idiotic panic at the start, buying USD at 5:1.

Things are stabilizing heavily. I'd say it's hard to sell USD (black market knowing a few people) for more than 5.40/50, although there certainly are "niches" (some Chinese supermarkets for instance).

The difference is, now it's confirmed, quite thin.

System seems to be too harsh against tourists though (I hope that will be fixed). If a tourist comes here for 15 days, changes 3.000 USD and ends up at the airport unable to change back the equivalent of 500 USD in pesos into dollars -> no good.

Anyway, overall, tourists can't complain here (free healthcare if something runs wrong) but still.

Today, the Argentinean CB has been buying USD btw...

Napoleon said:
I gave a tour to an economist from Switzerland. He wanted to pay a dollar fee in pesos and he looked up www (dot) x-rates (dot) com.

He didn't even think about finding out what the government rate was, because he travels all over the world several times a month and he understands real rates vs government rates. (Not everyone does and that's why many don't want to accept pesos.)

Today's x-rate is 4.78.

Tell him I'll buy his CHFs. I need some! :D

Well, I sold 3,000 dollars today and they paid me $5 (five pesos) per dollar here in La Plata. 4.60 sounds good to me.

TheBlackHand said:
Who cares ? If the owner wants dollars for their property and the contract states as much, they are entitled to dollars. Anything else and they are doing the tenant a favor. Half the people on this board are currently selling their dollars at black market rates. They have no moral high ground to then say the owner can't ask for the same rate. Give me a break. " me da paja estos comentarios ".

The contracts were signed before the restrictions to the dollar. So, they can be renegociated. First a mediation, then a trial. Landlords don t want to go to trial for sure because they are going to lose and the tennant will pay at official rate depositing this at a Court bank account.
So, those comments about contract enforzing might be ok in another country but not here.
Regards

Lucas said:

Illegal in the eyes of the law? Come on!!!! Enfoce it! or give real arguments!

There are 2 different situations. Real state rental with a contract that says you have to pays xxxx dollars. In that case, if you cannot pay in dollars, the owner can say that the contract is finished or you can negociate to pay in pesos at the real price of the dollar. Renting appartments is a civil contract not a commercial one, it means that it is not taxable, and it means that the owner is not going to be authorized to buy dollars by the afip. That s why I suggested to negociate a price in between the official price and the blue. If the official is 4.25 and the blue 4.75, 4.50 is equitative.

Why? because you cannot choose between paying in pesos or dollars, is the owner who choose to go on with the contract or not, unless you go to Court. In that case PM me.

Regards

"Force majeure", contract nullification. Circumstances beyond anyone's control. War, riots, weather and no $$$$$$ because of new government regulation.

I've had my fill of lawyers for two lifetimes. No offense but all they care about is the 15-20% that they charge their clients. If it was up to them, everybody would spend half their lives in court or mediation for the smallest things. Trust me, whatever someone thinks they're going to save by going to court they will lose paying lawyer and mediator fees.

The USA was pretty sue happy for a while. Now it's the worst profession to have in the country, with 70% or so of new graduates working at Mc Donalds because they can't get a job. People get tired of endless litigation pretty quickly.

Bajo_cero2 said:
The contracts were signed before the restrictions to the dollar. So, they can be renegociated. First a mediation, then a trial. Landlords don t want to go to trial for sure because they are going to lose and the tennant will pay at official rate depositing this at a Court bank account.
So, those comments about contract enforzing might be ok in another country but not here.
Regards

Back