Exchanging Pesos in the US

What if you buy US$ travelers checks in the US would there still be AFIP restrictions on cashing them at AMEX office?

YanquiGallego said:
So, basically, what you are saying, is that the AMEX office WILL let me buy USD travelers checks in exchange for my pesos for the official rate + their 1,8 fee?

If I am reading this correctly, this seems like an easy way around getting USD (aside from the 1,8 fee) for foreigners as I can later just cash the travelers checks and get the cash, no? Or later just deposit them into my US account?

Well, I said that back in September, I was told that I could buy up to USD $500 traveler's checks per month (never went ahead and did it, though.) But that was before the massive crackdown. At this point, since they are barring the flight of dollars in any way possible (from Western Union transfers to debit card usage abroad), I would totally expect them to say that you can no longer buy AmEx checks in USD. But I have no idea; that's why I say it's worth going to Banco Piano and finding out.

surfing said:
What if you buy US$ travelers checks in the US would there still be AFIP restrictions on cashing them at AMEX office?

There is no problems with cashing US$ AMEX travellers cheques here, but since oct last year you can only cash at AMEX and for peso. So you cant get US$ anymore.

davonz said:
There is no problems with cashing US$ AMEX travellers cheques here, but since oct last year you can only cash at AMEX and for peso. So you cant get US$ anymore.
is it still possible to buy travellers cheques using pesos here?

Update
20 March. Evening
FOREX booth by front information desk on departure
3.81 / 5.51 to USD
No limit

....pretty big spread

Just talked to an old student of mine who happens to be the director of travelers checks in amex, and he said that you can indeed use pesos to buy USD travelers checks. They're available at almost all of the banks, but you do have to have an account there.

I changed pesos to USD at a Wells Fargo in the US in December. It is possible to do. The rate was not very good, around 4.8:1 I think.

citygirl said:
I can tell you that in Jan, none of the exchange places in the airports in Miami, Orlando or New York were buying pesos

I just got off the phone with the currency exchange booth at the Miami airport (Concourse E Level 2) and they confirmed that they DO buy Argentine pesos. Rate: $5.50 to the dollar.

You can have my US $$ when you pry them out of my cold, dead hands!

... huh? ... Oh! Oooops, wrong forum!

mcaffa said:
I just got off the phone with the currency exchange booth at the Miami airport (Concourse E Level 2) and they confirmed that they DO buy Argentine pesos. Rate: $5.50 to the dollar.

We asked in person in Jan and they said no. That may have changed but I wouldn't bet on it. And certainly not large amounts.

(I thought this was interesting. I flew through Montevideo yesterday and had some lunch in the airport. My receipt showed the amount in Uruguayan pesos and then calculated the total in in other currencies. It showed as 15 USD or 90 ARS. So at least in Uruguay, it appears they're looking at it as 6 pesos to the dollar.

Back