Excited/scared About Moving To Ba...!

I don't know how long you'll be staying in BA. But it gets very cold here in Winter. Freezing Cold !!!.
So if you're going to be staying through August, you may want to pack cold weather clothing.

Its not freezing cold here in the winter at all! 7/14 (celsius) in the coldest month is not freezing by any means. And this "cool" weather only lasts one and a half months or two if we are lucky. Winter is almost nonexistent here. I hate that.

I'm glad I only booked my apartment for a month, this will allow me to have some time to figure out where and how much I can afford to live. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

One more question... I have been in contact with a lady who is starting a new Kindergarten, everything sounds like exact what I want to do. The only catch is... she is thinking of paying me the salary of 7000ARS a month... The job is for 6 teaching hours a day, plus maybe 1 or 2 for planning. I do have to come up with all of the activities/curriculum that I teach, nothing is given to me unlike other English classes. What do you guys think? Is that reasonable or is there room for negotiation?

I'm glad I only booked my apartment for a month, this will allow me to have some time to figure out where and how much I can afford to live. Thanks everyone for helping me out!

One more question... I have been in contact with a lady who is starting a new Kindergarten, everything sounds like exact what I want to do. The only catch is... she is thinking of paying me the salary of 7000ARS a month... The job is for 6 teaching hours a day, plus maybe 1 or 2 for planning. I do have to come up with all of the activities/curriculum that I teach, nothing is given to me unlike other English classes. What do you guys think? Is that reasonable or is there room for negotiation?

Depending your experience and a whole lot of other factors, but if i were you i would take it, with that money you will afford to live more than ok alone, and from there you see if you find better position or another work been sure of having your back already covered, in any case they should probably rise your sallary at least 20% per year or around that.

Depending your experience and a whole lot of other factors, but if i were you i would take it, with that money you will afford to live more than ok alone, and from there you see if you find better position or another work been sure of having your back already covered, in any case they should probably rise your sallary at least 20% per year or around that.

Hi Lamarque,

Thanks for responding to my post! So 7000ARS is enough to survive off of in BA? I'm not big on partying, but would like to occasionally go out for nice dinners maybe once or twice a week. Other than that would just be rent, but I'm still in the process of finding an apartment that's decent, covers all utilities, and *fingers crossed* takes pesos. If you know any sites for apartments PLEASE let me know!!

Hi Lamarque,

Thanks for responding to my post! So 7000ARS is enough to survive off of in BA? I'm not big on partying, but would like to occasionally go out for nice dinners maybe once or twice a week. Other than that would just be rent, but I'm still in the process of finding an apartment that's decent, covers all utilities, and *fingers crossed* takes pesos. If you know any sites for apartments PLEASE let me know!!

The web page mentioned below , the prices are in pesos Arg for studios in San Telmo ranging from $2000 to $3000 pesos per month.?? One of the few that quotes in pesos for 6 month contracts...!!

http://www.bairesapa...-aires-7-8.html

Hi Lamarque,

Yes 7000 ARS is more than enough for your life stile, with that money you shouldn't have problem as long as you don't go for a usd payed apartment ;) , i know people living and going out a lot with 5000 ARS so if you are not so much into spending a lot in party you will do more than fine on 7000, your only problem is that you cannot access to an apartment throught garantia, that is the way Argentines rent apartment, with garantia a 2 ambientes in palermo for your own will cost you 1800-2600 depending how nice is the apartment without i don't have any idea but still you are not looking an apartement you are looking a room, so that should be cheaper or more expensive if you rent in a turist agency. On your own you should be good with 7000, and if you are not then something you are doing wrong :)

Called the agency... cheapest studio apartment in San Telmo is 5200ARS a month... :(

Well the page shows a few studios for $4400 per month all included that means US$586 at blue rate, is that too high?. All rentals in pesos are figured on blue rate. Also $5200 is $693 which seems to be on line with rentals.

http://www.bairesapartments.com/departamentos-san-telmo-buenos-aires-7.html

Hi all!

Well, reading all of this has got me a bit freaked out too, to be honest!! I am moving in a few weeks to complete my Masters degree in BA and have agreed to rent an apartment (month-to-month) for $500USD. It's fully-furnished, in Palermo, and has a lot of space for the money compared to what I have seen elsewhere advertised. I am prepared to NOT earn money while I am in Argentina and continue working remotely as a consultant whenever I can and earn USD. Because of this, I am desperately hoping I am not getting screwed by paying in USD (since my income and paying power is not tied to the Peso). Is this logical or is there some loophole I am missing? FYI my landlord has US bank account I can pay into, so I do not need to pay him locally in cash, if that makes any difference.

Thank you, thank you!

Signed,
Another paranoid soon-to-be-expat!

Back