Excited/scared About Moving To Ba...!

Thank you, everyone! I spoke with my landlord yesterday and he confirmed that it will be no problem for me to transfer the USD directly into his USA bank account. He seems like a very reasonable and kind person, so I'm hoping if the situation came up where I was earning enough in Argentina to pay rent in Pesos, we could work something out. For now, I think for the sake of my own sanity of not wondering what rent will cost each month in USD vs, Pesos, I'll stick with paying him the USD.

About the location- Yep! He did say 'near Palermo Hollywood', but since I don't know the city, I didn't know what else to describe it as in my post :/ Glad you like the neighborhood though!! Any suggestions on things I should check out upon arrival are more than welcome! Looking forward to getting to enjoy some Argentine sunshine (currently freezing in NYC!)

There are many things to check out in Buenos Aires, and not so many in Chacarita as it is a residential neighborhood. Given that you are from NYC (I used to live there), if one day you miss your typical NYC brunch, you should try Malvon (http://www.malvonba.com.ar/). It is walking distance from your place. Other place for coffee (French style) a few blocks away on Dorrego Avenue is Le Blé (http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/restaurantes/Le-Ble-10042). Of course you may also like to visit Argentine places...

Welcome to BA.

Thank you, everyone! I spoke with my landlord yesterday and he confirmed that it will be no problem for me to transfer the USD directly into his USA bank account. He seems like a very reasonable and kind person, so I'm hoping if the situation came up where I was earning enough in Argentina to pay rent in Pesos, we could work something out. For now, I think for the sake of my own sanity of not wondering what rent will cost each month in USD vs, Pesos, I'll stick with paying him the USD.

Sarita, isn't it nerve-wrecking to get everything situated when you are somewhere else in the world and have NO idea what the area/apartment really looks like? I'm going through the same thing... Some friends of mine recommended San Telmo for a more local feel, but I just heard from my employer who lives in BA that some parts of San Telmo are very dangerous. I'm moving by myself (American girl, 25 yrs old) so safety is my biggest concern. Hopefully after my first month (only have current apartment reserved for 1 month) I'll have a better idea of where I want to live long term! When are you moving to BA again? If you'd like to explore the city together, we should keep in touch!

There are many things to check out in Buenos Aires, and not so many in Chacarita as it is a residential neighborhood. Given that you are from NYC (I used to live there), if one day you miss your typical NYC brunch, you should try Malvon (http://www.malvonba.com.ar/). It is walking distance from your place. Other place for coffee (French style) a few blocks away on Dorrego Avenue is Le Blé (http://www.guiaoleo....es/Le-Ble-10042). Of course you may also like to visit Argentine places...

Welcome to BA.

I second Malvon. Don't expect the bagels to be bagels and the English muffins to be authentic and it is a good place. I order the eggs benedict and it comes with A LOT of food. Their corn bread muffins are really good too!

Eggs Benedict (and runny egg yolks, in general) are my biggest weakness! haha, good thing I enjoy cooking and can get my fix at home when I'm desperate! I am a die hard foodie, though, and look forward to trying LOTS of different foods while in BA. Stomach grumbles just thinking about the adventures ahead :)

About the location- Yep! He did say 'near Palermo Hollywood', but since I don't know the city, I didn't know what else to describe it as in my post :/ Glad you like the neighborhood though!! Any suggestions on things I should check out upon arrival are more than welcome! Looking forward to getting to enjoy some Argentine sunshine (currently freezing in NYC!)

Chacarita is fine, I like it personally. Definitely more authentic than Palermo and accessible to all thevbars and restuarants on offer there.

Eggs Benedict (and runny egg yolks, in general) are my biggest weakness! haha, good thing I enjoy cooking and can get my fix at home when I'm desperate! I am a die hard foodie, though, and look forward to trying LOTS of different foods while in BA. Stomach grumbles just thinking about the adventures ahead :)

Then you have to try Malvon! They have very nice breads that you can buy there as well. Just as an FYI in case you were not already aware, BsAs does not have the variety of types of food as does NYC. In my honest opinion, there are no good Mexican, Thai, Chinese, Indian places to go out and eat. Some people here might know of a few (you can search on here for restaurant reccomendations) but perhaps there are one or two good Mexican, Chinese, Indian etc. restaurants in the entire city. As you probably already know, the food culture here is Italian with and Argentine twist. Lots of pasta, pizza, ice cream and a very cheese heavy diet. You can get good Spanish food here though, Iñaki is one of my favorite restaurants, but really, thats about it. There are great Argentinian restaurants all over the city and part of the fun is finding them. Its great that you enjoy cooking though and it will help you out A LOT here when you need a change. Wishing you the best! :)

Okay, so now adding Thai and Indian spices to the list of things to bring with me ;) Thanks for the advice, NYKate!!

I´ve lived in San Telmo since 2002. It is the safest neighborhood in Buenos Aires. No one believes me, but there is much more robbery in Recoleta, Belgrano, Palermo (the stats will back me up on this one). There are always people out on the street so it is safe to walk around at night (Monserat is empty at night and real sketchy).
Most Porteños are prejudiced against San Telmo because 20 years ago it was unsafe and there are poor people who still live here. But poor people do not mean criminals. If anything, San Telmo is becoming very gentrified very fast.
I would recommend coming here without a place to rent, stay in a hostel or hotel for a week, visit places, see what you like, and then decide. I would hate to live in Palermo Chico or Recoleta, but when my parents come to visit they love it there. To each their own.
Stuff to bring: bras unless you are a B cup (they only have B cups down here, kid you not), comfortable sandals, anything electronic.

Sarita, isn't it nerve-wrecking to get everything situated when you are somewhere else in the world and have NO idea what the area/apartment really looks like? I'm going through the same thing... Some friends of mine recommended San Telmo for a more local feel, but I just heard from my employer who lives in BA that some parts of San Telmo are very dangerous. I'm moving by myself (American girl, 25 yrs old) so safety is my biggest concern. Hopefully after my first month (only have current apartment reserved for 1 month) I'll have a better idea of where I want to live long term! When are you moving to BA again? If you'd like to explore the city together, we should keep in touch!
Hi nshyi032- I completely missed your post from yesterday when I wrote my earlier response! I could not agree more with your statement about it being nerve-wracking to commit to a place without seeing it in person, but thankfully (in some weird, twisted way!) I have gone through the apartment hunt in NYC many (too many!) times via craigslist and have a good sense for when people are full of sh*t and when they are good natured, normal humans I'd like to rent from haha. I think a month-to-month lease is best for starting out..worst case scenario, you arrive, hate it, and begin from square one again. At least second time around you'll be there in-person and able to see the places and meet the landlord before committing. I'm arriving at end of February- Let's definitely keep in touch!

I know a young Agrentine woman looking for someone, PM me and I will put you two in touch.
Raymond

Back