Expat Deported At Ezeiza

Can you please explain how he was trying to get citizenship jumping the residency step? The only case I can think about is if he is the child of an Argentine parent, but it sounds highly unlikely.

many threads on here about becoming a citizen as a constitutional right. search anything by Bajo.

I can answer that as he was a good friend of mine, and i spoke to Bajo Cero who tried his best to help us today.
Basically my friend, and fellow forum member, went to Canada for a few weeks and returned as per normal through EZE. bad luck would have him questioned, detained, and ultimately in the next two hours put back on his flight to Toronto. no entry possible.
bad luck all round.
1) as Bajo Cero says, today was the last day of court holidays and Bajo was not able to reach anyone.
2) even if he was to get a judge and try to keep my friend in the country (as he was trying to get citizenship), the plane back to Toronto was 2 hours after he landed. same plane. no time for any real interventions.
3) the immigrations reviewed his passport and saw he had been living here over a few years, with multiple in and outs, some before the 3 month period, some after (fines paid each time). they took him into a detention room. they took his phone. they would not allow him to talk to a lawyer and then marched him to the plane. they asked that he paid his own flight back, but in the end, let him on "for free". it is unsure if air Canada will charge him at a later date.
he was not a criminal, not gainfully employed, enjoying life here on savings but overstaying the legal 3 months time frame.
i don't want to debate if it was right or wrong, only that this is real. it happened and who knows now how and if he can come back.
be careful, things are a changing...

Had your friend actually gone through any steps towards attaining citizenship? "Over a few years" is a bit vague, could you be more specific? How many times had he paid the fine? Actually, I hope your friend comes on here and answers our questions. What a horrible situation.

Six years ago when I used to make Colonia runs I was told on my last trip in immigrations that I wouldn't be allowed in Argentina the next time. Things are slowly changing. They're making it impossible for foreigners who bring money to come and live in Argentina, and support the economy. It's quite sad. International corporations and enterprises are packing their bags and leaving.

*Don't take this personally, I don't know your nationality and the forum member we are talking about is Canadian*

When you become a resident of the USA, they say you have the privilege to be a resident of the United States of America. Curiously, when a US citizen moves abroad, considers that his/her new country of residence has the privilege of having him/her living there.

from the US Consulate in BsAs
A lawful permanent resident (LPR), also known as a green card holder, is a foreign national who has been granted the privilege of permanently living and working in the United States.

I don't understand why you expect the immigration of a foreign country to play dumb when you break their rules. They are not meant to be bend, and I don't think you would be happy to know that in your own country there are immigrants laughing off its rules. Unless, of course, you want to distinguish between rich guys going abroad to live la dolce vita and poor guys going abroad to run away from famine/violence/poverty.

I don't think you would be happy to know that in your own country there are immigrants laughing off its rules. Unless, of course, you want to distinguish between rich guys going abroad to live la dolce vita and poor guys going abroad to run away from famine/violence/poverty.

Not sure of your point but there are plenty of both entering the US everyday. All it takes is a couple hundred thousand invested in a home in the US and you have automatic residence. And if you are poor just head down to the Rio Grande cross and you're in the US and we the people will take care of you forever and you don;t even have to pay taxes...

Not sure of your point but there are plenty of both entering the US everyday. All it takes is a couple hundred thousand invested in a home in the US and you have automatic residence. And if you are poor just head down to the Rio Grande cross and you're in the US and we the people will take care of you forever and you don;t even have to pay taxes...

$200,000 and you can get legal residence in the US? I really don't think so!

Holy moly, you should post on http://www.visajourney.com/ and cheer them up with your super-easy plan to immigrate to the US!
Seriously, even LPRs shit in their pants every time they have to go back to the US. There are people traveling with loads of paperworks to show they actually live in the US in the event they are questioned. Can you see yourself bringing your rental agreement or you latest bank statement when you go abroad for a couple of weeks on vacation?
You can never know what the US immigration might be asking you (and no, having a Green Card at hand is not enough).

Sorry to hear, what a nightmare under any circumstances. That Air Canada flight out of EZE makes a stop in Santiago, Chile on its way to Toronto. Hope they can book him through to Toronto. Another hassle in Chile?

It definitely sucks for your friend - sorry to read about it. It really does seem to be luck of the draw.

Back