Expat Documentary Film

fred mertz said:
Also, many Argentines carry U.S. passports. Yes, they're Americans.........sort of.

When an Argentine becomes a US citizen he/she also becomes an American (without the accent over the e).

I may receive Argentine citizenship in the future but I will never become an Argentine.

Lucas said:
You never know Steve, never say never.

I can't become an Argentine because I am not from Argentina. No one here will ever recognize me as being Argentinian. I will always be regarded as a foreigner, even if I have citizenship here.

Besides, I will always be proud to be an American, knowing what that once meant to many and still means to some.

steveinbsas said:
When an Argentine becomes a US citizen he/she also becomes an American (without the accent over the e).

So they become fake Americans (without the accent over the e) as SaraSara, well try to tell that to her in the face and you will be dead.

So the accent make the difference...

Ariel, be aware of that when the title decision come up.

steveinbsas said:
I may receive Argentine citizenship in the future but I will never become an Argentine.

You never know Steve is better never say never.

Since this thread had been duplicated, I might as well post this again, from the other thread:

Well, undoubtedly the term "American" is de facto used all over the world to denote people from the USA, there is no denying that.
However, what I find it difficult to digest is the stubbornness of USA people who blindingly refuse to see the other side of the argument.

Which can be illustrated thus: A chinese person is Chinese and Asian, (a Thai person is Thai and Asian, etc.), A Spaniard is Spanish
and European, (French person being French and European, etc.) And so it goes with the issue of people from all of the Americas being
Colombian, Mexican, Brazilian, etc. and American.

It's not that difficult to see, is it? This simple fact is ignored when USA people go up in arms to defend their right to the exclusive use
of the term "American". And it's clear to see why this winds up everyone else from all over the Americas

Lucas said:
So they become fake Americans (without the accent over the e) as SaraSara, well try to tell that to her in the face and you will be dead.

Good job. Lucas. You finally made me laugh.

I already gave SaraSara a reason and an opportunity to kill me.

Either she isn't the murderous type or I just wasn't worth the trouble.;)

NoPat said:
This simple fact is ignored when USA people go up in arms to defend their right to the exclusive use
of the term "American". And it's clear to see why this winds up everyone else from all over the Americas

I've never seen any "American," or whatever term has become P.C. in this forum, argue that they are entitled to exclusive use of the title "American." I thought the issue was Argentinians, etc. telling "Americans" that they can't identify themselves with the word because everyone is "American."

But the simple truth is that the United States of "America" is the name of my native country. Saying "America(n)" for short just makes sense.

BTW, by no means am I mad or "up in arms;" just taking a brain break from work. ; )

NoPat said:
Since this thread had been duplicated, I might as well post this again, from the other thread:

Which can be illustrated thus: A chinese person is Chinese and Asian, (a Thai person is Thai and Asian, etc.), A Spaniard is Spanish
and European, (French person being French and European, etc.) And so it goes with the issue of people from all of the Americas being
Colombian, Mexican, Brazilian, etc. and American.

It's not that difficult to see, is it? This simple fact is ignored when USA people go up in arms to defend their right to the exclusive use

I don't think you're making the right comparison. It's a game of "which one of these is most like the other." If we stick to English (and all the other languages, even Portuguese) Asian means being from the continent of Asia, European from Europe, etc. So an Argentine is South American and a Canadian is North American.

I have no problem using the word estadounidense here, but really, it's only here in South America where people care about the distinction. I don't know why though, since I've yet to hear anyone call themselves americano.

benderino said:
If we stick to English (and all the other languages, even Portuguese) Asian means being from the continent of Asia, European from Europe, etc. So an Argentine is South American and a Canadian is North American.

That is precisely the point, only that the North and South distinction can be seen as superfluous or divisive (depending who you talk to and what school they've been to), and you can say just that Americans are those who are from the continent of America, The Americas. That is what this debate is all about.

benderino said:
I have no problem using the word estadounidense here, but really, it's only here in South America where people care about the distinction. I don't know why though

I can tell you why: because of the perceived arrogance (as perceived by South and Central Americans, the arrogance coming from USA People) where one country has appropriated a continental term to define a nationality, thus giving all other American nations -of the Americas - the continent(s)- the notion that "We from the USA are the only real Americans". Or "The only Americans who can call themselves American". Like saying every other country of The Americas shouldn't use the term.

That's the nutshell of the entire debacle.

That, and the blindingly obvious incapacity of loads of US people that can't see the point, refusing to understand why it can come across as arrogant.

...and regardless of the use of that particular word -the word "American", for those not keeping up- a lot of USA people are internationally perceived as arrogant anyway, quite generally.

You don't want to hear it, I know

Endless arguing on US Foreign policy on the 20th and 21st centuries coming up soon

On a screen near you

Back