Expat Moms - are Argentine kids rude?

Thinking a lot about parenting lately in terms of the differences between our corner of San Francisco and our corner of Belgrano-Nunez--can't possibly speak for the US or Buenos Aires...

I think parents take things a lot less personally and take themselves a lot less seriously than many of the people I know in SF where we analyze every single parenting choice to death (compostable or cloth diapers? organic or locally grown produce? waldorf or montessori? )and protect our kids from sugar, wheat, soy, dairy, anything nonorganic, plastic, and screen time like their/our lives are on the line. While I really wish people here wouldn't react with such horror when my son requests milk with dinner instead of coke or sugar-filled 'juice'--and can't believe he drinks it without sugar or Nesquick--it's also been great for me to learn to relax a little over monitoring everything so much.

And my son has definitely learned better social skills in a culture where the kids are expected to go off and play amongst themselves and work things out while the adults sit and drink mate and yak for days, instead of hovering over them every second.

It does seem to me that possibly some parents don't set the same limits on their kids here that I am accustomed to, but I have also had the privilege of seeing many of these kids grow from 4 to 14 and for all of my judgment when these kids were smaller and acting like monsters (in my non-parent memory!) they are without exception now, as teenagers, mind you, some of the nicest, sweetest, and most together adolescents I've ever met. So I try to keep an open mind.

I do like the way many activities here that would be adults only in SF are family friendly here, and I have been grateful many times for the tolerance and warmth I feel many people here have shown my son and other kids, a tolerance and warmth I think is often lacking in parallel situations in my culture. On the other hand, we also have a lot more resources dedicated to kids and families, places to go and things to do, and I don't mean shows where they just sit and watch.

But kids running amok in an upscale restaurant is just lame, no matter where you are, and it definitely happens plenty in the states.

My friend told me a story--could be an urban leged--about living in Amsterdam. She says--I have no personal experience with this--that the Dutch are rather notorious in their lack of interest in setting limits on their kids. So a guy is standing in line at the supermarket, and the kid sitting in the seat of the cart in front of him begins to kick him. He tells the kid nicely not to kick him, kid ignores him, he asks the mother to make the kid stop. She says, "Oh, my husband and I don't believe in setting limits on our children." The guy in front of her, who's just paid for his purchases, opens a carton of milk and calmly dumps it over her head, saying, "Neither did mine."

I think its like everything else here, there are some well behaved kids and their are some very rude kids who have no manners. Same with parents, some people take parenting seriously while I see others who see it as a burden and they want to do as little work as possible.

TheBlackHand said:
I can see that. That's why I posted my disbelief. Get it ?

I get your disbelief, but not how I'm supposed to infer that from your post. Anyway, I shouldn't have even said anything in the first place.

All I can say is that teenage boys sound rude. It is not because of what they say but it is the tone of their voice. A question sounds like an order, even if they say 'por favor' at the end. Their language sounds quite agressive.

After being here for 2 years my son speaks Castillano like an Argentine, and Flemish in the Argentine tone. :eek:
An American friend of mine, who has a son of the same age (who is Argentine) says the same...

It is a tone that both in English and in Flemish is 'unacceptable'.

So you can't " infer " my disbelief when my exact words were " I can't believe " ?

It's really not my fault if you're reading comprehension isn't up to par.

TheBlackHand said:
can't believe

texxaslonghorn said:
I get your disbelief, but not how I'm supposed to infer that from your post.

I love France. In many instances you can take your dog to a restaurant with the assurance that they will not allow children.

Back