Expat Moms - are Argentine kids rude?

"But kids running amok in an upscale restaurant is just lame, no matter where you are, and it definitely happens plenty in the states."

Well in my lifetime I have never seen this in an upscale restaurant in the US, never. I've seen kids in inexpensive "family" restaurants but it's NOT common in the US (East Coast anyway; don't know about other areas) to see kids in expensive places, especially at night.

I find Argentine children very indulged by parents who don't seem to set limits. I remember kids misbehaving at Pieggari (throwing rolls at each other with mother looking on and saying nothing), Il Matarello (running all over the place screaming), Eidelweiss after a Colon performance. Must have been close to midnight. They were exhausted and started to cry. Many other examples but these come to mind right away.

If most folks saw how their food was stored or prepared in many restaurant kitchens they'd stop going out for dinner.

(But their dogs would love it.)

chris said:
They were exhausted and started to cry. Many other examples but these come to mind right away.

I think you brought a very important factor with your comment...Many Argentine parents have no discipline/clue/consideration when it comes to respecting children´s routines. People take their children to loud places, late-night dinners or long sessions of shopping... and when they start getting cranky, hungry or restless, they just get annoyed or ignore them... well, what do you expect? Don´t you know that your child has an X amount of tolerance to certain things, or that she is going to want to eat something at a certain time?

:rolleyes:

nativexpat said:
I think you brought a very important factor with your comment...Many Argentine parents have no discipline/clue/consideration when it comes to respecting children´s routines. People take their children to loud places, late-night dinners or long sessions of shopping... and when they start getting cranky, hungry or restless, they just get annoyed or ignore them... well, what do you expect? Don´t you know that your child has an X amount of tolerance to certain things, or that she is going to want to eat something at a certain time?

Some of what I have seen borders on being abusive. I've seen infants taken to restaurants at midnight. It's just not fair to the kids or to the people in the restaurant.

nativexpat said:

THIS answers the original question best.

Argentine kids (in these situations) aren't being rude.

Their parents are.

TheBlackHand said:
So you can't " infer " my disbelief when my exact words were " I can't believe " ?

It's really not my fault if you're reading comprehension isn't up to par.

Believe me, my reading comprehension is up to par.

Your comment just came across as a snarky. And all I did was tell you that the topic is not nonsense to some of us. Then you went and pulled a punch like "not my fault if your reading . . . ."

And it seems you aren't the best writer (you're reading comprehension?).

The fact that you can see that the topic is not nonsense to some of us yet you still can't believe a thread was started over just shows that you are rude.

This is stupid. I know I'm adding to it, but only to defend myself.

I'm sorry. I don't really care to debate your opinion. I just simply stated mine. Glad to know you felt deeply threatened by it.

Good day.

texxaslonghorn said:
Believe me, my reading comprehension is up to par.

Your comment just came across as a snarky. And all I did was tell you that the topic is not nonsense to some of us. Then you went and pulled a punch like "not my fault if your reading . . . ."

And it seems you aren't the best writer (you're reading comprehension?).

The fact that you can see that the topic is not nonsense to some of us yet you still can't believe a thread was started over just shows that you are rude.

This is stupid. I know I'm adding to it, but only to defend myself.

TheBlackHand said:
I'm sorry. I don't really care to debate your opinion. I just simply stated mine. Glad to know you felt deeply threatened by it.

Good day.

No harm, no foul. It's over and we are good.

Back