Expat observations 2011

we've had a tough surprise arriving a few months ago, not the land of milk and honey unfortunately.

Will ride it out though for a year, but definitely wasn't the best financial decision.
I just need to start finding the gems that will make it all worth it, right? :)

jb5 said:
The cost of living relative to wages is getting really bad. I'm surprised so many are staying given this.

I think there are 4 reasons for this, atleast for expats who are here 3 plus years

1. Lack of oportunities abroad
2. Partner needs to stay
3. 2 salaries and lífe is decent, little travel abroad though
4. Living for free in your parents in law place

Maybe a 5th one as well and your having a kid in Argentina

In all of the 5 cases you are stuck in Argentina but I am guessing all were highly predictable

Despite all the recent downturns, life in ARGENTINA is not bad especially if you have money coming from outside of Argentina.

Looking at the state of the world economy, Argentina does not compare that badly.

1: more expats getting 'normal' argentine jobs why is this a factor? if you were making money by working at a distance and getting paid in dollars, euros or pounds, how has that changed?

2: many left, the ones that stayed are much more united REALLY?

3: people that have stayed 2,3 years and have the ability to get a job somewhere else leave depends. some stay because they are married to argentines and their spouse will not leave. i know quite a few of these. also some are not married and partner can not leave, can not get a visa etc. they can leave and break up relationship or stay and suffer in other ways.

4: people who have stayed 5 plus years are settling in ba and not likely to leave anytime soon not true. I know several who have been around for many years and have reached the end of their tether. unless you are penniless you can sell your property and get reestablished in your own country. not everyone is unemployed and even minimum wage or a little better jobs can be better than what you earn in argentina where the col is as high as the us for most things or higher. getting set up in the us (renting, buying, buying furniture and household goods, car etc. will be comparable to or much less than it is in argentina unless you want to live in manhattan, sf or a few very expensive areas.

Any more general observations? the whole situation with extreme inflation, currency restrictions and increasing govt authoritarianism is alarming and a lot of expats have had it. i think those with income from abroad and good incomes will stay if they have personal reasons for staying but a continuation of this will lead to more exits.

I predict more departures by expats and fewer coming in to replace them.

Well, I live since 5 years in Argentina and I strongly think about leaving.

Reason #1: The long term limitations of doing business. It is too expensive, complicated and time consuming to establish a competitive business (on a global market) in Argentina.
Although life is enjoyable on a personal level, I simply cannot justify risking my business and opportunities. I sell digital products and can install this business whereever I want.

Reason #2: This government is laking logic and respect. They already pass the limits of "good taste" and I expect more political unstability and steps towards a non-democratic state of whatever form. They are not trustworthy.

I'm finally packing my bags after nearly six years here (Chile is giving us money and help to do what we've been working to achieve, whereas here we find only stumbling blocks), and while the departure is bittersweet I feel like I'm on a liferaft floating away from a sinking ship.

ETA: My partner's goal is to leave before Heineken reaches 10p/liter. not sure if we'll make that with only three weeks left.

MizzMarr said:
ETA: My partner's goal is to leave before Heineken reaches 10p/liter. not sure if we'll make that with only three weeks left.
Whether he's successful or not, it's always good to set goals. Even when the odds are against you.

Suerte amiga

Ceviche said:
Despite all the recent downturns, life in ARGENTINA is not bad especially if you have money coming from outside of Argentina.

Looking at the state of the world economy, Argentina does not compare that badly.

DISAGREE 1000%. I earned in dollars, lived on the 35th floor of a highrise full of chetos, and life still sucked here. And you're downright wrong. Given the state of world economies Argentina is worse off. sorry to burst your bubble. Life in Argentina is tough, a million times tougher than in a first world country, but if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

gsi16386 said:
DISAGREE 1000%. I earned in dollars, lived on the 35th floor of a highrise full of chetos, and life still sucked here. And you're downright wrong. Given the state of world economies Argentina is worse off. sorry to burst your bubble. Life in Argentina is tough, a million times tougher than in a first world country, but if you can make it there you can make it anywhere.

I don't understand--you seem very passionate about your dislike of BA and Argentina. Why you still read the BA Expats forum if you were so unhappy here?

Like you were, I'm earning money from outside Argentina, live in a great apartment in Recoleta, and have a really good quality of life. Bottom line, I'm pretty happy and can't think of any place I'd reasonably prefer to be.

toulouse said:
I don't understand--you seem very passionate about your dislike of BA and Argentina. Why you still read the BA Expats forum if you were so unhappy here?

Like you were, I'm earning money from outside Argentina, live in a great apartment in Recoleta, and have a really good quality of life. Bottom line, I'm pretty happy and can't think of any place I'd reasonably prefer to be.

Because I too was an expat for 2+ years and can provide my perspective on life there vs. back home. Why do Argies frequent the forum if they're not expats? Because they can provide their prospective, which might be different from others thus enriching the whole conversation.

And I'm happy that you're happy in Recoleta, good for you! I want nothing other than for everyone to be happy with their situation and their lives. However, I think a lot of the frustrations I had with life in BA are also shared amongst many Expats and I'm just here to let them know they're not alone.

Back